SIGNED: Chris Gunter

258 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: SIGNED: Chris Gunter

by melonhead » 31 Oct 2012 19:17

h8 spews forth whenever we lose, and especially when we lost like last night

i just think people were expecting him to be instamntly much better than cummings, and are disappointed he hasnt really looked that way to them

ive not seen him do much wrong(last night apart) and he looked like he was improving before losing his place

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 31 Oct 2012 19:21

He got caught too far forward for the 6th goal, Arshavin had a free run from the half way line with Just Tabb trying to get back to him, Ledge must take some of the blame for playing an unlikely ball rather than a simple squre ball to MacAnuff

clauski

by clauski » 31 Oct 2012 20:56

Thought he was pretty poor. Defensively nothing special from him and who knows what he was trying to do for the goal at the end. Should have been a penalty against him and gave away one at Chelsea so not convinced by composure. Going forward he was good on the overlap but then a terrible end product with cross after cross hitting the first man. The goal can't hide the wasted opportunities at other times unfortunately. Jury definitely out on him at present and prefer Cummings in the team.

BrockManson

by BrockManson » 31 Oct 2012 20:59

Not to be singled out for shipping 7 goals but the fact Gunter allowed the ball to bounce in front of him for the final goal was absolutely criminal.

The backroom staff aren't doing their jobs in training because the defence has been shambolic all season.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 31 Oct 2012 21:00

I thought he was poor last night. Far too concerned with pushing forward instead of getting the basics right & left us exposed quite a few times.

I'd like to try the Cummings McCleary combo personally. McCleary looks adaptable enough to be able to play with someone else - I think it's nonsense to say he can only play with Gunter.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Oct 2012 21:59

BrockManson Not to be singled out for shipping 7 goals but the fact Gunter allowed the ball to bounce in front of him for the final goal was absolutely criminal.

The backroom staff aren't doing their jobs in training because the defence has been shambolic all season.

He didn't let it bounce, he just completely missed the ball.

robbieroyal

by robbieroyal » 31 Oct 2012 22:35

Pepe the Horseman
BrockManson Not to be singled out for shipping 7 goals but the fact Gunter allowed the ball to bounce in front of him for the final goal was absolutely criminal.

He didn't let it bounce, he just completely missed the ball.

Looked to me like he was trying to "back header" to Feds.

Schoolboy error.

robbieroyal

by robbieroyal » 31 Oct 2012 22:38

I think with confidence he will improve vastly.

Trouble is since he has signed for us he seems to be shot to pieces.

He looks nervous to me every time I see him.

Crotts

by Crotts » 31 Oct 2012 22:42

It's probably difficult to judge between them given the overall state of our defence this season but I think that long term Gunter is the better option. When I watch Cummings I see an athlete not a footballer. He has the pace and athleticism but he has little positional sense or awareness. Gunter does seem to have better defensive awareness (not forgetting his howler last night) and is slower but I think he will function more effectively once we stop panicking. Neither of them are premiership class but that doesn't mark them out from most of the current squad.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 31 Oct 2012 22:42

Right footed Marcus Williams.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 06 Nov 2012 18:13

Did anybody appreciate the amount of crosses Gunter stopped. Cummings always seems to let his winger cross the ball

QPR game was another great example why GUNTER should be ahead of Cummings

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 06 Nov 2012 18:19

I like him. I think he's better than Cummings. On another note, just seen HRK in Sainsbury's Winnersh, parking in a parent and child space :roll:

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 06 Nov 2012 18:57

Can't help but think

where is Wally when you need him!

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 17 Nov 2012 19:06

TO THE GUNTER HATERS

Lovely cross for the second goal, was brilliant last week in the cleansheet against Norwich aswell. Also that run down the right against Arsenal that lead to the OG was decent. Stops more crosses than Cummings and is physically stronger. Me and Brian clearly agree he is our best option at RB.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Nov 2012 19:08

'Greed.

Plus he doesn't get caught out at the back post 10 times a game.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Nov 2012 19:10

LoyalRoyal22 TO THE GUNTER HATERS

Lovely cross for the second goal, was brilliant last week in the cleansheet against Norwich aswell. Also that run down the right against Arsenal that lead to the OG was decent. Stops more crosses than Cummings and is physically stronger. Me and Brian clearly agree he is our best option at RB.

Valid points, but his ball control is shocking. He may be a better defender than Cummings, but I get jittery every time someone passes the ball to his feet.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 17 Nov 2012 19:11

It's going to take time for him to settle, especially when he's only been at the club 3 months and has had plenty of different players alongside him/in front of him.

Hasn't had a stunning game yet but keep the faith with this one.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 17 Nov 2012 19:12

Wimb It's going to take time for him to settle, especially when he's only been at the club 3 months and has had plenty of different players alongside him/in front of him.

Its hard to have a stunning game as a fullback, you expecting him to score?

He was part of the back 4 that kept our only cleansheet last week, thought he didnt put a foot wrong all game against Norwich

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 17 Nov 2012 19:14

Gunter has had plenty of opportunities to impress but has consistently failed to convince.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 Nov 2012 19:15

LoyalRoyal22
Wimb It's going to take time for him to settle, especially when he's only been at the club 3 months and has had plenty of different players alongside him/in front of him.

Its hard to have a stunning game as a fullback, you expecting him to score?

He was part of the back 4 that kept our only cleansheet last week, thought he didnt put a foot wrong all game against Norwich

I like Gunter, just think he needs time. Sure he was part of the clean sheet, but he wasn't making the same efforts to get forward as Shorey was.

258 posts