Alex Pearce

769 posts
Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Alex Pearce

by Royalclapper » 05 Nov 2012 16:00

cmonurz Note to all. Wanting to play for Liverpool and being attracted by £50k a week does not make someone greedy.

It's being average at something but still being paid 50k a week that stinks. Footballers and bankers of the world unite :|

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Nov 2012 16:07

Average?

By average do you mean one of the best 25/50 or so of what you do in the country, or best 200-400 in Europe I guess.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 05 Nov 2012 16:22

Hoop Blah Average?

By average do you mean one of the best 25/50 or so of what you do in the country, or best 200-400 in Europe I guess.

Well pointed out. I meant in the context of what they actually do and the excessive rewards which go with it rather than professional ranking. In particular, even when the consistency of performance is not great the financial reward is disproportionate.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 05 Nov 2012 16:25

same goes for anyone working in entertainmentm or sports

fact remains its all about supply and demand, and people who are good at these things are in short supply, and therefore gr8 demand

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 05 Nov 2012 16:29

melonhead same goes for anyone working in entertainmentm or sports

fact remains its all about supply and demand, and people who are good at these things are in short supply, and therefore gr8 demand

That's always been the case but never in such ridiculous wage amounts.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 05 Nov 2012 16:34

theyre worth the wage as long as someone is willing to pay it

and tbf, i dont see why the tv money should go to the money men at the clubs instead, when its the players that provide the "product"

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 05 Nov 2012 16:44

melonhead theyre worth the wage as long as someone is willing to pay it

and tbf, i dont see why the tv money should go to the money men at the clubs instead, when its the players that provide the "product"

Yep. That's just as strong an argument.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Nov 2012 10:31

Royalclapper
Hoop Blah Average?

Well pointed out. I meant in the context of what they actually do and the excessive rewards which go with it rather than professional ranking. In particular, even when the consistency of performance is not great the financial reward is disproportionate.

It's an industry that is now turning over massive figures thanks to subscription TV and the change in supporter demand, demographics and willingness/ability to pay ridiculous ticket prices.

As brendy says, the people who really deserve to see the fruits of that boom are the talent who make it, the players and managers. The only people to really blame for the wages are the fans and TV viewers who are willing to pay the money for Sky and other broadcasters to pay through the nose for 'the product'.

As for the comment about consistency of performance, these guys are the top players because they do perform consistently better than others. It isn't as easy as we'd all like it to be to be good enough or consistent enough and so we really do have to accept that all players, whilst they remain human beings, will have good and bad days (some more of the latter than others!).

There is the debate around should clubs be allowed to run at a loss in order to put a bit of a lid on the wages, and it will be interesting to see if things change a bit under FFP when it somes in.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Nov 2012 07:51

Some quotes from Brian in today's Get Reading

“We shall see what happens this week. There is a possibility that there will be talks between Alex, his representative and Nick Hammond. When I first made the decision to leave Alex out (his contract situation) had no bearing whatsoever.

“Alex has a choice to make and so does his agent. Sean Morrison is now in the team, proved a point and proved he can play at this level. He is very much in contention to play because we know he can do it. He’s committed and has a three-year deal.”

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... um=twitter

Interesting phrase there would be 'when I FIRST made the decision' and also the commitment line in regards to Morrison.

Realistically if this doesn't get sorted out in the next two weeks I'd assume his career at Reading is all but over. If he's fallen behind Mariappa, Gorkss and Morrison then there's no reason for him to sign a new deal and he'll be off elsewhere.

In my opinion the club has handled this absolutely wrong though I understand the reasoning behind it. There should have been a lot more transparency from the start both parties have lost out due to this not being resolved.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Nov 2012 08:22

Wimb In my opinion the club has handled this absolutely wrong though I understand the reasoning behind it. There should have been a lot more transparency from the start both parties have lost out due to this not being resolved.

I'd agree there are probably issues with the way this has been handled by the club, but I'm interested in what ways you think there should be more transparency about it.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Nov 2012 08:53

Hoop Blah
Wimb In my opinion the club has handled this absolutely wrong though I understand the reasoning behind it. There should have been a lot more transparency from the start both parties have lost out due to this not being resolved.

I'd agree there are probably issues with the way this has been handled by the club, but I'm interested in what ways you think there should be more transparency about it.

I just think the club should have been more open about it from the summer onwards, saying that they'd be picking players committed and who have signed deals, hence why they've picked Morrison. I also think it's more than a tad hypocritical when they're happy to pick Tabb and Hunt but that's besides the point.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Nov 2012 09:15

You mean state that openly to the fans?

Cypry

by Cypry » 07 Nov 2012 09:58

Wimb I also think it's more than a tad hypocritical when they're happy to pick Tabb and Hunt but that's besides the point.

What are their contract statuses then?

At the end of the day, it might come down to the player himself...if he's told the club that he doesn't see his future here (and his reluctance to sign a contract would indicate that might be the case), and is expected to be moved on in January, then it would 100% explain why the club are reluctant to start him, and would look to build partnerships which can be sustained into February and beyond...

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Nov 2012 10:08

Cypry What are their contract statuses then?

Running out this summer but Hunt has said he's happy here and wants to start talking about a new deal. Tabb is possibly in the same boat as he's been happy to be a bit part player here for the last few years so I can't imagine he's changed his stance.

Not sure where the hypocracy is as the difference with Pearce seems to be that he's been offered something but doesn't seem keen to sign it (the implication of him being offered something already is, IMO, that he's rightly seen as a more importance player for the club yet he can't get a game).

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Nov 2012 10:43

I'd be interested to know what difference, if any, there was between the deal Pearce isn't signing and the one Karacan recently signed.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Nov 2012 10:45

Wimb Some quotes from Brian in today's Get Reading

“We shall see what happens this week. There is a possibility that there will be talks between Alex, his representative and Nick Hammond. When I first made the decision to leave Alex out (his contract situation) had no bearing whatsoever.

“Alex has a choice to make and so does his agent. Sean Morrison is now in the team, proved a point and proved he can play at this level. He is very much in contention to play because we know he can do it. He’s committed and has a three-year deal.”

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... um=twitter

Interesting phrase there would be 'when I FIRST made the decision' and also the commitment line in regards to Morrison.

Realistically if this doesn't get sorted out in the next two weeks I'd assume his career at Reading is all but over. If he's fallen behind Mariappa, Gorkss and Morrison then there's no reason for him to sign a new deal and he'll be off elsewhere.

In my opinion the club has handled this absolutely wrong though I understand the reasoning behind

should never have been dropped in the first place imo, but you can see why due to gorkss experience, but when pearce had been playing the better football it still feels a bit odd.
theres no way that the contract issue should stop him playing, unless its been made clear by him that he is off in january after being tapped up by brendan.
thats the only circumstances i could see where it would make some sort of sense

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 07 Nov 2012 10:54

Vision I'd be interested to know what difference, if any, there was between the deal Pearce isn't signing and the one Karacan recently signed.

Interest from other clubs, maybe

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Nov 2012 11:12

Hoop Blah You mean state that openly to the fans?

Why not, in explaining team selection he could be honest and say we're giving a chance to the guys who are going to be here for the long term, we respect Alex as a player but have to give priority to the long term future of the club.

I suppose that was never really going to happen though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Nov 2012 11:19

I'd love to see some better communication from the club around things going on around the club but the in's and out's of why McDermott has chosen player A over player B isn't really one area I think it would be a good idea.

Honesty with the fans yes, but having to explain selection decisions no for my money.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Nov 2012 11:24

Hoop Blah I'd love to see some better communication from the club around things going on around the club but the in's and out's of why McDermott has chosen player A over player B isn't really one area I think it would be a good idea.

Honesty with the fans yes, but having to explain selection decisions no for my money.

I suppose that's fair, you don't want to be having to explain every decision, the manager's opinionshould be good enough. That being said when it's issues outside of footballing reasons you would like it to be a bit more open rather than having to rely on rumours and speculation.

769 posts