Clean sheet - so where are the celebrations?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: Clean sheet - so where are the celebrations?

by SPARTA » 10 Nov 2012 22:24

AthleticoSpizz "I'm not over reacting, I am just having a hissy fit because we arent challenging for Europe" to quote the generic young Reading HNA'r (and SPARTA)

I expected no more than 17th this season, and that is light-years away. A draw is nothing to celebrate, but yes, it's something to build on. That said, apart from a little boost in confidence, what will Brian do with it? Everton will rip us to shreds next weekend, and then what? 11 games gone, still no win, still looking for the positives, Brian McDermott's barmy army, clap, clap, clap, clap...

I like Brian, but he's well out of his depth at this level, and he needs to re-evaluate our playing style, and learn how to manager bigger name players who come with chips on their shoulder. Every other club deals with it at this level. You can't drop quality just because they question your direct style. I'm not a Guthrie fan boy, but he is the best passer of the ball we have, and has the creative touch we are missing! Partner him with a holding midfielder, and not use two holding midfielders - Or if he has no faith in Guthrie, bring in another creative player in January - but our position will be perilous by then.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Nov 2012 22:25

especially The Team board....I am well out of my depth here on this modern day thang

(typed on an Olivetti typewriter)

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 10 Nov 2012 22:26

FWIW Norwich were very well organised at the back today I thought.

Mondieu

by Mondieu » 10 Nov 2012 22:26

AthleticoSpizz especially The Team board....I am well out of my depth here

'greed

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 10 Nov 2012 22:27

MmmMonsterMunch FWIW Norwich were very well organised at the back today I thought.

I thought so to, but they were by far and away the worst side we've played this season and we really should be taking all three points off sides like them at home!

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 10 Nov 2012 22:28

MmmMonsterMunch FWIW Norwich were very well organised at the back today I thought.

Might be why that was the first time they've kept a clean sheet away from home in the top flight since 2004.

Or it might be because we were rubbish, who knows?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 10 Nov 2012 22:31

Avon Royal

Might be why that was the first time they've kept a clean sheet away from home in the top flight since 2004.

Or it might be because we were rubbish, who knows?

Trust you to see the negative in everything :roll: They were very well drilled & will pick up plenty more away points if they continue in the same vein.

Do you get laid at home or is it just birthdays and xmas?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Nov 2012 22:34

SPARTA
AthleticoSpizz "I'm not over reacting, I am just having a hissy fit because we arent challenging for Europe" to quote the generic young Reading HNA'r (and SPARTA)

I expected no more than 17th this season, and that is light-years away. A draw is nothing to celebrate, but yes, it's something to build on. That said, apart from a little boost in confidence, what will Brian do with it? Everton will rip us to shreds next weekend, and then what? 11 games gone, still no win, still looking for the positives, Brian McDermott's barmy army, clap, clap, clap, clap...

I like Brian, but he's well out of his depth at this level, and he needs to re-evaluate our playing style, and learn how to manager bigger name players who come with chips on their shoulder. Every other club deals with it at this level. You can't drop quality just because they question your direct style. I'm not a Guthrie fan boy, but he is the best passer of the ball we have, and has the creative touch we are missing! Partner him with a holding midfielder, and not use two holding midfielders - Or if he has no faith in Guthrie, bring in another creative player in January - but our position will be perilous by then.

Or alternatively, 3 points away.

PBR

by PBR » 10 Nov 2012 22:42

IM DANCING IN THE STREETS
WE DID IT
WE oxf*rd DID IT

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Nov 2012 09:41

SPARTA . I'm not a Guthrie fan boy, but he is the best passer of the ball we have, and has the creative touch we are missing! Partner him with a holding midfielder, and not use two holding midfielders - Or if he has no faith in Guthrie, bring in another creative player in January - but our position will be perilous by then.

I agree about finishing 17th and perhaps getting a creative midfielder, but I just don't get the fascination with Guthrie. He has been awful except for one game where he was just ok. If your best creative midfielder is just not good/onform enough then there's absolutely no point playing him because in doing so you're losing a position that could be filled by a ball winner, which he ain't.