Re: back from the game - Wigan

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Nov 2012 01:59

love ya mahn, you keep us from the hooded claw

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Nov 2012 02:04

floyd__streete
leon so we give up do we? I think we need to get a bit of a grip here gaylords.

We have what we have. Personally I think we can stay up, but it won't be nice. I the fans have a job to do.

McDemott has always got of the best out of his players...he'll need to.

You call us gaylords.....then trot out that tired old cliche about the fans 'having a job to do'? I am glad that you stopped short of calling us the 'twelfth man' :| .

the self proclaimed football voice of hob nob and yet predictably all you do is bitch when times are bad and crow when times are good.

In all honesty we're not good enough to stay up, but then what were you saying about our position this time last year? And yes we do have a job to do. Painful as that might be.

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 25 Nov 2012 02:34

Half-watched on a very dodgy stream, but here goes:

- I feel more positive after that game than the Swansea game (and certainly more than most on here), reckon we deserved a draw. End to end, chances for both sides, could have gone either way - generally an exciting game of football & I really enjoyed it (bar the last minute winner).

- Federici definitely to blame for their first, confidence must be absolutely shot. Hope McCarthy gets fit soon.

- Got to be disappointed with Gunter given that all 3 goals came from that side BUT isn't it more that the players didn't know their responsibilities? Beasejour isn't a LW, he's a LWB and was if Gunter was coming inside, it was probably to deal with their LF (Maloney/Di Santo). Either a CB has to be picking the LF up or our RW has to be picking up their LWB - Gunter can't deal with both. Not sure if this is a manager not assigning roles properly or players not applying themselves correctly. That being said, Beausejour's delivery is impeccable.

- The moment that encapsulated the feeling on here about Morrison/Gorkss was Gorkss rashly diving in on Kone, getting nowhere near player or ball, only to be shepherded out of playing by Morrion.

- Shorey oozes class. Doubted him when he came back but his delivery was absolutely spot on consistently today - caused Wigan loads of problems.

- I thought HRK, Roberts and Le Fondre were a real handful, HRK especially. Won a load of free-kicks, mainly from McCarthy, which is crucial when we have a player like Shorey. Roberts' persistance got us the 2nd goal.

- Can't complain about the Tabb penalty not being given - Wigan could have had 2 today, Everton had 2 stonewallers denied the previous week.

- Did anyone else see Morrison's celebration? I did notice it 'til the rerun of the goal at half-time but it amused me.

- Finally, I like the way we play. I like that we go for it right until the end. If I wanted to watch Stoke or Norwich, I would. I don't want us to keep the ball in the corner to dourly defend a point.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 25 Nov 2012 03:02

If anyone wants to sit through some pain.

http://www.footytube.com/video/wigan-at ... =wv_relbox

MOTD actually quite complimentary

Delboy

by Delboy » 25 Nov 2012 08:25

Our defence is awful, All three goals came from Gunters side of the pitch, where was he for the final goal ! Cummings and Pearce or Mariappa need to come in for the Villa game. Ledgerwood should be dropped but no one to replace him with until Guthrie or Karacan are fit, unless Mariappa or Hunt can play in midfield.
Our problem is clear to see we did not invest in the summer, who will want to come in January! we may need to be a yo yo club like West Brom , come on Reading we are better than this!

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 25 Nov 2012 08:28

Royal91 If anyone wants to sit through some pain.

http://www.footytube.com/video/wigan-at ... =wv_relbox

MOTD actually quite complimentary

It's pity.

Cypry

by Cypry » 25 Nov 2012 08:31

Watched it live on a somewhat dodgy stream, so waited until seeing MotD to see the goals properly...

Not feeling as down as some, kick in the teeth to concede in time added on again is always going to make it seem worse..

Feel a bit sorry for Feds for their first given the weather - ball was actually given away tamely by Morrison to create the chance in the first place....

Similarly people are being a bit harsh on Gunter - yes, it's fair to say that most of their chances cam from our right, but that's because Beausejour had a cracking game and plays on the left. He did get caught completely out of position for Wigans winner, but again, it was given away tamely, this time by Shorey whilst Gunter was pushed up on the right waiting for a cross field ball that never came...

The biggest concern I had was Brian's approach to substitutions - I know he was chasing the game, but this approach of moving Jobi into the middle never seems to work, but he seems to try it time after time...

Roll on Tuesday - can see us winning at Villa...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Nov 2012 08:59

RoyalX Half-watched on a very dodgy stream, but here goes:

- I feel more positive after that game than the Swansea game (and certainly more than most on here), reckon we deserved a draw. End to end, chances for both sides, could have gone either way - generally an exciting game of football & I really enjoyed it (bar the last minute winner).

- Federici definitely to blame for their first, confidence must be absolutely shot. Hope McCarthy gets fit soon.

- Got to be disappointed with Gunter given that all 3 goals came from that side BUT isn't it more that the players didn't know their responsibilities? Beasejour isn't a LW, he's a LWB and was if Gunter was coming inside, it was probably to deal with their LF (Maloney/Di Santo). Either a CB has to be picking the LF up or our RW has to be picking up their LWB - Gunter can't deal with both. Not sure if this is a manager not assigning roles properly or players not applying themselves correctly. That being said, Beausejour's delivery is impeccable.

- The moment that encapsulated the feeling on here about Morrison/Gorkss was Gorkss rashly diving in on Kone, getting nowhere near player or ball, only to be shepherded out of playing by Morrion.

- Shorey oozes class. Doubted him when he came back but his delivery was absolutely spot on consistently today - caused Wigan loads of problems.

- I thought HRK, Roberts and Le Fondre were a real handful, HRK especially. Won a load of free-kicks, mainly from McCarthy, which is crucial when we have a player like Shorey. Roberts' persistance got us the 2nd goal.

- Can't complain about the Tabb penalty not being given - Wigan could have had 2 today, Everton had 2 stonewallers denied the previous week.

- Did anyone else see Morrison's celebration? I did notice it 'til the rerun of the goal at half-time but it amused me.

- Finally, I like the way we play. I like that we go for it right until the end. If I wanted to watch Stoke or Norwich, I would. I don't want us to keep the ball in the corner to dourly defend a point.

Great post, I've come to pretty much the same conclusions having had a few hours to get over the disappointment of losing in the last minute

Sagaris

Re: Normal Saturday Night service resumed Wigan

by Sagaris » 25 Nov 2012 09:21

themadstad We should keep a lead soon...

....next season in the Championship of course.

This team would not be in the top half of the championship this season, it was another display of inept football showing that there is no premiership quality anywhere in our side. Worst offenders were Mcanuff who didn't find a team mate with a single pass during the 2nd half but he remained on the pitch and Gorks, who at least had the decency to change shirts to a blank one to hide his name, after another shockingly bad performance.

The MotD highlights flattered us as did the scoreline and the pundits again failed to notice that we have a midfield who cannot see a pass and cannot keep possession, exposing a defence that is bereft of any pace. Every time Wigan attacked us in the 2nd half we looked likely to concede and Gomez was described by a Wigan fan after the game as being sh1te this season. Sorry Brian, it's getting worse...

Get Carter

by Get Carter » 25 Nov 2012 10:02

If Taylor does not play at Villa after this, why did McD sign him?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Nov 2012 10:05

Get Carter If Taylor does not play at Villa after this, why did McD sign him?

Experienced bench cover in the event that one of Federici or McCarthy got injured, which they both have.

Elmparkpaul

by Elmparkpaul » 25 Nov 2012 10:09

Disgusted by some of the comments in this thread about the gaffer. He's learning his trade at this level as well as several of the players.

Get behind him please.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 25 Nov 2012 10:15

It's like a drive through McDonalds and receiving the wrong order.

I agree and find it so :| reading these threads.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Nov 2012 10:25

windermere_royal
windermere_royal
Man Friday Where was our right-back for their third goal (the breakaway)? (Although heaven knows why a team drawing away with seconds to go would push players forward.)

You mean Gunter?..probably in the middle where he spent most of the game.

Just watched it again, Gunter was nowhere to be seen. he must have been involved in the attack that broke down, 3rd minute of injury time, Brian would be tearing his hair out if he had any.

Did exactly what he did in the last minute or so against Arsenal. Naively (many would say insanely) pushed forwards all the way down the right. As a consequence, when his cross was cleared we were left completely exposed at the back. That's twice now that he has cost us a goal in stoppage time through getting caught completely out of position.

That having been said, I think both Legs and Shorey could have been more 'professional' in taking a card for the team as Wigan broke forwards.

Cypry
Elmparkpaul Disgusted by some of the comments in this thread about the gaffer. He's learning his trade at this level as well as several of the players.

Only he doesn't appear to be learning very quickly. Very much 'bottom set' material.

The biggest concern I had was Brian's approach to substitutions - I know he was chasing the game, but this approach of moving Jobi into the middle never seems to work, but he seems to try it time after time...

That's because his dismal transfer dealings over the summer have left him with no other sodding choice. The only other CM we have (apart from the injured and 'injured') is an old boy occupying a squad place who McDermott clearly doesn't feel is good enough to even put on the bench.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 25 Nov 2012 10:32

A point would have been a good result and we were vry close to that. Poor tactics is our problem. I watched the game at Chelsea and remember BM bringinging on a forward to replace Karacan when we were drawing with 20 mins or so to go. I dont think he has realised how valuable points are in the Premiership. We need to learn to flood the midfield if we are to close games down. That means not always replacing a forward with a forward.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Nov 2012 10:39

paddy20 A point would have been a good result and we were vry close to that. Poor tactics is our problem. I watched the game at Chelsea and remember BM bringinging on a forward to replace Karacan when we were drawing with 20 mins or so to go. I dont think he has realised how valuable points are in the Premiership. We need to learn to flood the midfield if we are to close games down. That means not always replacing a forward with a forward.

I think I may have spotted a flaw in that cunning plan - a distinct shortage of decent midfielders! Can Mariappa play there?

Cypry

by Cypry » 25 Nov 2012 10:41

RoyalBlue
Cypry

That's because his dismal transfer dealings over the summer have left him with no other sodding choice. The only other CM we have (apart from the injured and 'injured') is an old boy occupying a squad place who McDermott clearly doesn't feel is good enough to even put on the bench.

That's incorrect - it's because injuries to Karacan and Guthrie have left him with no sodding choice....

Beside the point really, it's the same approach that he's used repeatedly since he took over.....I just don't understand why he does it....Tabb wasn't completely shot, and we were still able to create chances....I'd prefer to see him stick with Jobi on the wing and Tabb/Leigertwood in the centre, perhaps ringing the changes up front and bringing on a fresher striker sooner (Hunt?) - give that a go for 10 or 15 minutes, and then throw the kitchen sink at it for the last few minutes if we've still not scored....instead, he weakens our centre mid by moving Jobi in, which can leave us vulnerable in the latter stages of the game....

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 25 Nov 2012 10:44

He or she is given a verbal warning for under achievement. If performance doesn't improve over a reasonable period (3 months ) then a written warning is issued. Then performance is reviewed 3 months later. If there's been no improvements, a final written warning is issued. If no improvement after a month, then said manager can be dismissed. HTH.

After the manager is dismissed, most organisations will also have an appeal process, which can add perhaps another month or two to the entire dismissal process. So if McD IS the problem (which I am not necessarily saying) he should be out by July.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Nov 2012 10:46

Cypry
RoyalBlue
Cypry

That's incorrect - it's because injuries to Karacan and Guthrie have left him with no sodding choice....

Come off it. Injuries are always going to happen (don't forget Jem wasn't even back at the time the window closed)

And McDermott had already decided he wasn't going to play Guthrie because he wouldn't change to fit in with our style of play. Finally, McDermott clearly wasted another squad place on good old Bryn.

As for those 'positive minded' folks on here who think things aren't bad because we were always going to struggle this season, I don't recall them saying that before the season started.

Quite clearly McDermott did not do enough to strengthen our centre midfield in the summer.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Nov 2012 10:50

SydenhamRoyal He or she is given a verbal warning for under achievement. If performance doesn't improve over a reasonable period (3 months ) then a written warning is issued. Then performance is reviewed 3 months later. If there's been no improvements, a final written warning is issued. If no improvement after a month, then said manager can be dismissed. HTH.

After the manager is dismissed, most organisations will also have an appeal process, which can add perhaps another month or two to the entire dismissal process. So if McD IS the problem (which I am not necessarily saying) he should be out by July.

I don't think you really know (or a re acknowledging) what often happens at higher levels in organisations. What your Employee Handbook says is one thing. What happens in practice is often different. You'll often find that, where the manager is in a critical position, damage limitation will kick in and a compromise agreement will be reached. This allows both parties to move on quickly.

199 posts