Wigan (a) match thread sponsored by northern soul forever

502 posts
Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

Re: Wigan (a) match thread sponsored by northern soul foreve

by Libertine » 24 Nov 2012 20:06

LoyalRoyal22 Dont get all the suggestions we deserved something from the game. Wigan were clearly the better side

And that was with half of their normal starting 11 unavailable through injury...

:|

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Nov 2012 20:08

Libertine
LoyalRoyal22 Dont get all the suggestions we deserved something from the game. Wigan were clearly the better side

And that was with half of their normal starting 11 unavailable through injury...

On paper we have the worst squad in the league, dont understand where all the expectation came from

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 24 Nov 2012 20:17

LoyalRoyal22
Libertine

On paper we have the worst squad in the league, dont understand where all the expectation came from

I realize this but I still think our "A Team" is, or at least should be, better than Wigan's reserve team.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Nov 2012 20:34

LoyalRoyal22
Libertine

Maybe because we had one of the worst squads on paper in 2006 and managed to pull off some amazing results then

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 24 Nov 2012 21:02

On paper we have the worst squad in the league, dont understand where all the expectation came from[/quote]

Maybe because we had one of the worst squads on paper in 2006 and managed to pull off some amazing results then[/quote]

Hold on - at least we had a back 5 that knew it's job and did it in 2006..... a huge difference fom today's squad.

Woolly68

Getting worried

by Woolly68 » 24 Nov 2012 22:22

Just back from Wigan......

We still have no idea of our best starting 11, anyway it doesn't really matter as our squad isn't good enough. Brian is far to loyal to players. Jobi, Ledge and Gorkks aren't playing well and not sure they can cut in the Prem.?

Summer signings have been poor and most of them aren't making the starting 11

No excuses this season as previous seasons we've had to rebuild after losing players.

We have 2 most likely "un win able " home games before Xmas, that means we need to pick points up at villa, soton, Sunderland...failure in these games will see us well adrift. Especially now QPR have made their change, I fully expect them to pick up and I'm sure they will finish above us.

We are going down, unless we buy well in January with or without Brian!!

larry1971

by larry1971 » 25 Nov 2012 09:05

dissapointing to lose to a goal in the final few minutes especially when listening to the match updates on Sky's Soccer Saturday and we seemed to be the better team at the time.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 25 Nov 2012 09:23

Another dreadful display really. Poor for 75 minutes then looked brighter after the Wigan comedian donated a goal to our cause. So what tactical masterplan did we release to see the game out? Take off Tabb's hard working and replace him with a left winger who is about as much use in midfield as as a Renault Clio is in the Atlantic Ocean.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 25 Nov 2012 09:24

Brian, have you considered a tactical role in the US army as a future career?

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 25 Nov 2012 21:17

Colin Cheeselog We seem incapable of stopping teams from shooting. Players break through our midfield and defence almost at will, and when you give the ball away as much we do that means we’re relying on players missing most of their chances and/or our keeper having a blinder. I think overall we’ve been very fortunate not to have conceded more this season.

In recent games our opposition have had:

Wigan 19 shots
Everton 21 shots
QPR 23 shots
Swansea 25 shots
Liverpool 23 shots

We’re unlikley to win games where we give the opposition that many chances.

Jay Tab Instead of controlling the game, as a team we're giving away too many chances. If you look at the average number of shots teams have had on our goal this season, it's too many.

"You can't give away 18 shots and expect your keeper to be man of the match every week. We've got to change things."

I hear you Jay, i hear you.

Me and Jay are like 2 peas in a proverbial pod. We could form the best joint player-manager duo since Gooding and Quinn. There are strong similarities after all, Jay as the little midfield terrier, full of running, and me with… my… receding hair line.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 25 Nov 2012 22:09

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... was_a_joke

As mentioned above, I agree with it all.

Will Tabb be dropped, and sent to wherever Howard went for these sane words?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 25 Nov 2012 22:18

Respect to Jay Tabb - at least someone has the passion and guts to call the situation as it is.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 26 Nov 2012 01:21

Colin Cheeselog
Colin Cheeselog We seem incapable of stopping teams from shooting. Players break through our midfield and defence almost at will, and when you give the ball away as much we do that means we’re relying on players missing most of their chances and/or our keeper having a blinder. I think overall we’ve been very fortunate not to have conceded more this season.

Wigan 19 shots
Everton 21 shots
QPR 23 shots
Swansea 25 shots
Liverpool 23 shots

Jay Tab Instead of controlling the game, as a team we're giving away too many chances. If you look at the average number of shots teams have had on our goal this season, it's too many.

"You can't give away 18 shots and expect your keeper to be man of the match every week. We've got to change things."

Me and Jay are like 2 peas in a proverbial pod. We could form the best joint player-manager duo since Gooding and Quinn. There are strong similarities after all, Jay as the little midfield terrier, full of running, and me with… my… receding hair line.

you clearly havent been to these games and if you believe all stats you are stupid - eg Chelsea had approx 5 or 6 decent chances / half chances - the rest ended up in row y or z - same at swansea

remember last season southampton had 23 shots - 90% were miles off taget, we had 6 or 7 and most were decent chances

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 26 Nov 2012 07:32

handbags_harris wrote: Gunter persistently plays far too narrow which afforded Beausejour the time and space to get cross after cross in - the warning was there after two minutes - and Gorkks gets done by a bit of movement every single time.

It is not a Gunter problem it is a defensive set up issue. Cummings got done the same way against Newcastle for the BA handle ball equaliser.

As for Gorkss -- a total liability at this level as he no pace, any movement turns him like a spinning top.

I

REMTARDROYAL

by REMTARDROYAL » 26 Nov 2012 08:21

royalsteve
Colin Cheeselog

Wigan 19 shots
Everton 21 shots
QPR 23 shots
Swansea 25 shots
Liverpool 23 shots

you clearly havent been to these games and if you believe all stats you are stupid - eg Chelsea had approx 5 or 6 decent chances / half chances - the rest ended up in row y or z - same at swansea

remember last season southampton had 23 shots - 90% were miles off taget, we had 6 or 7 and most were decent chances

The percentages might chance, the principle less so.

Our game plan last season was about keeping it tight, snatching goals from breaks and set pieces and pressing hard.

On the first point, I dare say our 'chances conceded tally' is going to be remarkably similar. The problem is that more are going to be on target and more are going to be dangerous when on target.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 26 Nov 2012 09:12

royalsteve you clearly havent been to these games and if you believe all stats you are stupid - eg Chelsea had approx 5 or 6 decent chances / half chances - the rest ended up in row y or z - same at swansea

You’re right, rather than watching the games, forming an opinion, then seeking some basic information to validate my opinion, instead I sat at home, masturbated furiously, then formed an opinion entirely on BBC Sports match stats.

Me and my boy Jay Tabb are both “stupid”, giving other teams dozens of chances is a good strategy. I look forward to our Champions League endeavours next season.

Also, did you see the Chester game in 92/93? That game is entirely irrelevant too.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Nov 2012 09:38

Wigan 19 shots
Everton 21 shots
QPR 23 shots
Swansea 25 shots
Liverpool 23 shots

This is something I've been thinking as well. We're bein subjected to ridiculous numbers of attempts on goal. Sooner or later something will give.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Nov 2012 11:36

Massive away support for Reading at this game.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Nov 2012 12:44

OK, having now seen decent quality footage, rather than just a crappy stream, I have to acknowledge that Feds probably should have done better for their first goal. However, he also pulled off some fine saves (acknowledged by the commentary team). Overall, and IMO, there were several other players far more to blame for the defeat than Feds.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 26 Nov 2012 13:02

Surprised nobody is blaming Morrison for their 2nd goal......he gave the ball away on the half way line which meant he was caught out of position.

502 posts