Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

1019 posts
jumpers for goalposts

Re: Jason Roberts

by jumpers for goalposts » 02 Dec 2012 10:31

Royal Tezza Brilliant again yesterday. For me he's one of those players where you can determine if someone understands football or not. He is always the only available out ball and holds the ball in the opposition third so well. Clearly prefers it to feet as well which you have to admire for someone of his size. I don't like to slag players off but the difference between him and Pog when he came on was so blatant. For whatever reason that just doesn't seem to be working out and Roberts is 10 times as effective .

I've been watching football for many years thanks, and him being a very limited footballer in terms of technique is what it boils down to. Yes he puts in a shift and is strong, I accept that, but that isn't going to win you games is it?

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 02 Dec 2012 10:42

jumpers for goalposts
percy_freeman He is a seasoned pro and uses all the tricks in the book. His hold up play is exceptional and should be the first name on the teamsheet every week.

So basically he isn't very good and has to resort to these 'tricks' to make a contribution? Pog is awful, totally agree.

I'd take Hunt over Roberts. For all his limitations, at least Hunt wins headers, can dribble a football 5 yards without falling over his feet etc. Roberts did a great job last season in the Championship, but ultimately he just isn't quite up to the premier league. Countless premier league managers that have let him go can't be wrong can they?

Countless Premier League managers eh? You may be WUMing. I may be still pissed from last night. But I have to say you are clearly as dull as a post my boy. If you are going to make a point so ingidnantly you should do a bit of homework at the very least.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 02 Dec 2012 11:00

jumpers for goalposts
Royal Tezza Brilliant again yesterday. For me he's one of those players where you can determine if someone understands football or not. He is always the only available out ball and holds the ball in the opposition third so well. Clearly prefers it to feet as well which you have to admire for someone of his size. I don't like to slag players off but the difference between him and Pog when he came on was so blatant. For whatever reason that just doesn't seem to be working out and Roberts is 10 times as effective .

I've been watching football for many years thanks, and him being a very limited footballer in terms of technique is what it boils down to. Yes he puts in a shift and is strong, I accept that, but that isn't going to win you games is it?

lol except that it is.

This is exactly the same sort of criticism that was being leveled at Shane Long for the first half of the 2010/11 season and look how that panned out. :roll:

Roberts has never been a prolific goalscorer at Premier League level but what he does is draw defenders and get into positions to give chances to other strikers. He's a real nuisance in the box and wins plenty of free-kicks that teams like Reading rely on more often than not to get goals.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 02 Dec 2012 11:02

It this turning into another pointless character assassination thread.

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 02 Dec 2012 11:05

Looks like it doesn't it.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 02 Dec 2012 11:15

Last edited by Wimb on 02 Dec 2012 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 02 Dec 2012 11:19

Fantastic isn't it.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 02 Dec 2012 11:21

tbf it's what a discussion forum is for I suppose but even so the repeated blame everyone threads are getting tiresome, at least stick to 1 thread :roll:

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 02 Dec 2012 12:58

jumpers for goalposts An absolutely shocking journeyman forward

We'd almost certainly still be in the Championship if we hadn't signed Roberts. His goals played a major part in our promotion last season, and his enthusiasm appeared to have an impact on the rest of the squad. Not the performances or behaviour of a journeyman.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 02 Dec 2012 13:00

He was ok , but brilliant ???....christ knows if he'd have scored

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 02 Dec 2012 19:44

You only realise how good Roberts is when he's not there. Replace him with Pog, and the whole front line goes to shit as we saw yesterday.

Pog offers the same style as Roberts, except....

1. He gets knocked off the ball easier than my 10 yr old.
2. He has the turning circle of the QE2
3. He has the body language of someone who REALLY doesn't want to be there.
4. His first touch looks like he's got concrete in his boots.
5. He's got about as much speed as a pantomime horse at the end of the London Marathon

I thought Roberts was great yesterday until he went off. Pogs 20 minute cameo made Roberts look phenominal.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 02 Dec 2012 20:50

Roberts just suits our direct style.

We were not that direct yesterday for change.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 03 Dec 2012 02:26

Roberts was rubbish at Villa last week though. When he was subbed, the commentator said something like 'and you'd have thought the Villa defenders will be pleased to have seen the last of him tonight'. Erm, nope? He was dire?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Dec 2012 08:21

I think it's unfair to criticise Pog when he doesn't get as long on the pitch as Roberts does lately. How is Pog expected to make a massive impact in 20 mins, or less? Fact is, he's scored more goals than Roberts this season!

Roberts is good at holding the ball up, I wish he'd at least try and get a few more headers and jump for the ball. Pog is a different player altogether. I can only presume that McD had little choice in signing Pog, what with him being Russian and all - and if the rumours that he's on 60k a week are true, it's ridiculous that we pay one player that amount of money and hardly play him, yet we haggle with last year's POTS and we won't be paying him anywhere NEAR what Pog is getting.

I think Pog's arrival has caused a rift in the team - money is the root of all evil.

under the tin

by under the tin » 03 Dec 2012 08:30

Royal Lady I think it's unfair to criticise Pog when he doesn't get as long on the pitch as Roberts does lately. How is Pog expected to make a massive impact in 20 mins, or less? Perhaps he should ask ALF !
Fact is, he's scored more goals than Roberts this season!

Roberts is good at holding the ball up, I wish he'd at least try and get a few more headers and jump for the ball. Pog is a different player altogether. I can only presume that McD had little choice in signing Pog, what with him being Russian and all - and if the rumours that he's on 60k a week are true, it's ridiculous that we pay one player that amount of money and hardly play him, yet we haggle with last year's POTS and we won't be paying him anywhere NEAR what Pog is getting.

I think Pog's arrival has caused a rift in the team I think you might well be on to something there
- money is the root of all evil.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 23 Feb 2013 21:35

an old guy that sits behind me in the UW claims that Roberts has told friends and family that he will leave the club at the end of his contract this summer and isn't injured. the official line is he has a hip injury. somewhere along the line he's supposed to have had a big falling out with the manager, as Guthrie had and both are off whether we stay up or not.

it doesn't matter if it's true or not, but what worries me is if we do go down, Pog will almost certainly leave, Roberts is free in the summer and may go, there will be clubs wanting Le Fondre, Hunt is free and Church, thank God, is free. Without even looking at the rest of the team, up front we could be in a very bad position. Hunt could end up being a key player when ideally we'd let him go and improve on him.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Feb 2013 22:48

Jay o/ an old guy that sits behind me in the UW claims that Roberts has told friends and family that he will leave the club at the end of his contract this summer and isn't injured. the official line is he has a hip injury. somewhere along the line he's supposed to have had a big falling out with the manager, as Guthrie had and both are off whether we stay up or not.

If there is just a single grain of truth in this then Reading FC really is being managed by a bunch of muppets! :twisted: Either way, why have the club wasted a squad place on him when there is no sign of him starting to recover from his injury (real or otherwise).

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 23 Feb 2013 22:52

Those rumours about Roberts having a go at BM after the Southampton game were around before and he was subsequently dropped, then the hip injury materialised. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth in it. It's the whole Guthrie affair all over again, but perhaps JR took it a step too far. This would have been in front of the other players, and after Guthrie was punished for the same (and injured).

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 23 Feb 2013 22:54

What a load of old bollocks.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 23 Feb 2013 23:22

Y21 What a load of old bollocks.

^^^^