Re: The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

by maffff » 03 Dec 2012 09:20

Linked with Lee Camp today.

Ugh. No thanks.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 03 Dec 2012 09:28

You just know it's going to seem like a long rest-of-the-season with this court jester in goal.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Dec 2012 09:31

maffff Linked with Lee Camp today.

Ugh. No thanks.

Interesting.

Camp is an odd one. At times he's looked very good but then, from what I've seen, he's had long spells of being pretty average. He's a good example for McCarthy to look at to see how a very promising keeper can plateau out at decent Championship level if things don't go right for them.

I'd be surprised if we added another keeper though. As much as I've never rated Federici as highly as most on here, and certainly not as highly as Adie Williams does, I think we've got higher priorities to fix in this squad.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Dec 2012 10:03

Woodcote Royal Like Church, he's had all the chances he deserves 3 times over and shown himself to be average in the Championship and a liability in the top flight

Average in the Championship :lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Dec 2012 11:03

Hoop Blah
maffff Linked with Lee Camp today.

Ugh. No thanks.

Interesting.

Camp is an odd one. At times he's looked very good but then, from what I've seen, he's had long spells of being pretty average. He's a good example for McCarthy to look at to see how a very promising keeper can plateau out at decent Championship level if things don't go right for them.

I'd be surprised if we added another keeper though. As much as I've never rated Federici as highly as most on here, and certainly not as highly as Adie Williams does, I think we've got higher priorities to fix in this squad.

I've always rated Camp. Just a shame he's an absolute bellend.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 03 Dec 2012 13:16

SCIAG
Secondly, Federici has been great for two seasons, not one.

Thirdly, it wasn't that he'd "cut out the basic errors"- for one thing there weren't many to cut out- but that he was actually playing very well.

Are you completely delusional? Federici essentially handed Swansea 2 of their 3-0 lead at Wembley - their second goal was a Federici assist!

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 Dec 2012 13:32

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 03 Dec 2012 13:33

Caskeys Lovechild
SCIAG
Secondly, Federici has been great for two seasons, not one.

Thirdly, it wasn't that he'd "cut out the basic errors"- for one thing there weren't many to cut out- but that he was actually playing very well.

Are you completely delusional? Federici essentially handed Swansea 2 of their 3-0 lead at Wembley - their second goal was a Federici assist!

Having just reviewed the three goals Swansea scored I'd appreciate tour take on how he could have stopped any of them.

1st - Penalty.
2nd - excellent save - falls to a Swansea player who hits in rebound.
3rd - shot excellently placement after drag back pulls defence out of position. Feds was marking the near post at the time. If he hadn't have been there it would have been a simple goal for Swansea. Definitely made it harder for them to score.

Anyway - it's a debate we often have on here. If people don't like somebody they are incredibly unforgiving.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 03 Dec 2012 13:41

Wimb Waded into the debate over on TTE

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/12/ ... -readingfc

The number of times he parries the ball out into the middle of the area in that video is unreal.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 Dec 2012 13:48

RFCSPACE

The number of times he parries the ball out into the middle of the area in that video is unreal.

Certainly a weakness but tbf the number of goalkeepers who seem to be able to catch the ball properly nowadays is just as pathetic :(

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Dec 2012 13:52

RFCSPACE

And it's those that are being punished in this league that aren't in the Championship.

the balls schwaz all over the place and its difficult to hold a lot of shots, the key thing is to get it away from the middle of the goal as much as possible.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Dec 2012 17:15

Cypry
Ian Royal
Cypry Interesting that Feds makes a cock up with a back-pass/clearance, which didn't result in a goal and suffers the wrath of some sections of HNA, yet when McCarthy passed a clearance straight to the opposition a few games back, it was barely worth a mention...?

As Hansen pointed out on MotD, if anyone was to blame for the first and third, you could point the finger at Morrisson, there was little any keeper could have done about Rooneys goal from open play other than guess which way he might hit it, and hope, and the fourth goal was a stupid penalty given away by Tabb but then Morrisson and Tabb seem to be the current flavour of the moment, so let's blame Feds anyway....

Of the three keepers available, Feds is the best option IMO, and I'll back him rather than look for an opportunity to slate him every game....

The major difference is McCarthy made a couple of mistakes we weren't punished for and Federici is making regular mistakes, some of which we are punished for.

But that's exactly my point. On Saturday Feds made one mistake, which wasn't punished - it'd be very harsh to blame him for Uniteds first IMO (and seemingly, also the pundits, none of whom blamed him for that goal). In his performances since McCarthy picked up his injury, I cannot think of any goals for which he's been "to blame", yet you're saying he "is making regular mistakes, some of which we're punished for" - give us some examples. Granted, he made some big errors early on, but surely you need to look at that as a bad spell, and consider his form since returning to the team in isolation?

As for berating his defence when he makes a mistake, name me a keeper that doesn't.....McCarthy certainly did when he passed the ball straight to the opposition....

Stoke, Chelsea, Posh, Wigan. His first game back which I can't recall exactly what happened and I think he may also have got away with. Haven't seen the Utd game yet, but I hear murmerings that he got beaten at his near post again. Somethign taht happens to him far too often historically. Got lucky against Everton hitting a ball straight out that Jelavic just missed when he was offside.

So you've got all that and then you ask why McCarthy, who as a young keeper in his first ever PL game played a bit nervously and made one glaring mistake that didn't get punished, doesn't get the same stick as Federici... well there's your answer.

that's 4 goals, 2 unpunished errors across 6 games, to McCarthy's 1 or 2 in 1 game.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Dec 2012 19:51

Federici isn't good enough, he has been at fault for numerous goals this season.

Sell him.

The majority have spoken.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 03 Dec 2012 22:21

What annoyed me most was his reaction after being beaten at his front post. Was that of a man who didn't give a toss.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 04 Dec 2012 11:41

Totally understand why peeps are sick of Feds. Don’t really understand why they want to discredit their argument by pretending Feds hasn’t been a decent keeper prior to this season.

Just makes them seem rather irrational.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Dec 2012 11:58

Extended-Phenotype Totally understand why peeps are sick of Feds. Don’t really understand why they want to discredit their argument by pretending Feds hasn’t been a decent keeper prior to this season.

Thoroughly agree. Superb last season. Showed plenty of quality in seasons prior to that, but just couldn't cut out the silly mistakes. Now the mistakes are back.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Dec 2012 12:22

comeonyouroyals I love Ideal's and Woodcote's sheer hatred for the bloke to the point where they can't even acknowledge that Fed's is one of the main reasons we are in the prem right now.

And I love blind fools like you who can't tell the difference between a quality 'keeper and an expert in camera saves who spends much of his time retrieving balls from the back of the net that others would have saved.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 04 Dec 2012 15:35

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype Totally understand why peeps are sick of Feds. Don’t really understand why they want to discredit their argument by pretending Feds hasn’t been a decent keeper prior to this season.

Thoroughly agree. Superb last season. Showed plenty of quality in seasons prior to that, but just couldn't cut out the silly mistakes. Now the mistakes are back.

Yes, have said all along he had a very good season last year - but also think he was playing above himself and will never have a better season in his whole career.

Plus, of course, no-one can tell what would have happened if Alex McCarthy had played instead of Federici last year. Would he have been as good? Personally, from what I've seen of him and the speed he develops at when he's playing, I'm confident that he'd have been just as good as Federici was last year, and even better this year because of the experience.

(Oh, and the dressing room this season would be that little bit less divisive!)

Cypry

by Cypry » 04 Dec 2012 15:52

Ian Royal
Cypry
But that's exactly my point. On Saturday Feds made one mistake, which wasn't punished - it'd be very harsh to blame him for Uniteds first IMO (and seemingly, also the pundits, none of whom blamed him for that goal). In his performances since McCarthy picked up his injury, I cannot think of any goals for which he's been "to blame", yet you're saying he "is making regular mistakes, some of which we're punished for" - give us some examples. Granted, he made some big errors early on, but surely you need to look at that as a bad spell, and consider his form since returning to the team in isolation?

As for berating his defence when he makes a mistake, name me a keeper that doesn't.....McCarthy certainly did when he passed the ball straight to the opposition....

Stoke, Chelsea, Posh, Wigan. His first game back which I can't recall exactly what happened and I think he may also have got away with. Haven't seen the Utd game yet, but I hear murmerings that he got beaten at his near post again. Somethign taht happens to him far too often historically. Got lucky against Everton hitting a ball straight out that Jelavic just missed when he was offside.

So you've got all that and then you ask why McCarthy, who as a young keeper in his first ever PL game played a bit nervously and made one glaring mistake that didn't get punished, doesn't get the same stick as Federici... well there's your answer.

that's 4 goals, 2 unpunished errors across 6 games, to McCarthy's 1 or 2 in 1 game.

Stoke, Chelsea and Posh were all before McCarthy was injured (or Feds was dropped, depending on how you look at it), I'm assuming that for Wigan you're referring to their first where Gomez hit a volley from just outside the six yard box which he stopped, but was unable to hold onto....really unfair to call that a clanger....

Personally I think Feds has looked better since he returned, and his distribution is still a class above McCarthys....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Dec 2012 17:37

He has looked better. But given he looked atrocious before, that's damning him with faint praise.

1445 posts