How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by Royal Rother » 09 Dec 2012 14:23

RoyalBlue Learn to read a bit more carefully. The 'abuse' was used in the heat of the moment after an incredibly inept performance by him and the team and an absolutely absurb post match interview, during which he appeared to intimate that the reason he hadn't brought Guthrie on was that he wasn't fit. Well, whichever way you look at it, you have to be a pretty dumb manager to put a player on the bench when he's not fit. We may have a weak squad (for which he has to take some blame) but we're still not short of fit players. Those limitations aren't perceived, they are there for all (barring the most myopic of followers) to see.

Equally, you have to be pretty dumb if you fail to spot (like it/agree with it or not) that being an an intelligent, hard-working, honest and likeable bloke counts for virtually nothing if you can't deliver performances and results in the PL.

So I'm not attempting to justify my comment, I'm explaining why I made it - a subtle difference, which you will probably fail to appreciate.

Before McDermott took us as low as we now find ourselves, I made it clear that I respected all his qualities you refer to, and what he has achieved in the past. However, I made it equally clear that, IMO, those things alone were not enough if he continued to fail, failed to learn and adapt, and took us to rapid relegation this season. I remain unchanged in that view.

And I'm afraid if he continues to perform/manage the way he is, and then adds insult to injury with his post match interviews, then I may well react with some more 'abuse' in the heat of the moment. What's more, I will not be the only one and you will increasingly see the side of football fans you despise.

Strangely, given all that you say about me, as someone who does regularly attend matches, I think it will still be some time before I joined in chants for McDermott's dismissal. In the heat of the moment, I may yell about some of his ludicrous tactics/substitutions etc. but I don't really want to subject him to mass chants. I hope either he or the club will do the sensible thing before it comes to that.

We may not have the same level of funds, which is why it is even more critical that the manager doesn't squander those that he has on players who don't fit in with his preferred style of play. Equally, the manager/club should not further limit their choices by freezing players out of contention due to contractual issues.

So much wriggling.

So now he's not a clown, that was just said in the heat of the moment, right?

Now he's just "pretty dumb".

Great. What a fella.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 09 Dec 2012 15:37

Last season we allowed teams to run at us and shoot-we got away with it because the strikers in the Championship are not very good.
This season we are doing exactly the same and the strikers being much better we aren't getting away with it.
It is a bad habit that should have been stopped and Brian is either too blinkered or too dumb to see it.
Time for a change.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Dec 2012 15:40

Victor Meldrew Last season we allowed teams to run at us and shoot-we got away with it because the strikers in the Championship are not very good.
This season we are doing exactly the same and the strikers being much better we aren't getting away with it.
It is a bad habit that should have been stopped and Brian is either too blinkered or too dumb to see it.
Time for a change.

He used to manage Slough but he`s a royal now says it all really..totally out of his depth.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Dec 2012 15:59

Royal Rother
RoyalBlue Learn to read a bit more carefully. The 'abuse' was used in the heat of the moment after an incredibly inept performance by him and the team and an absolutely absurb post match interview, during which he appeared to intimate that the reason he hadn't brought Guthrie on was that he wasn't fit. Well, whichever way you look at it, you have to be a pretty dumb manager to put a player on the bench when he's not fit. We may have a weak squad (for which he has to take some blame) but we're still not short of fit players. Those limitations aren't perceived, they are there for all (barring the most myopic of followers) to see.

Equally, you have to be pretty dumb if you fail to spot (like it/agree with it or not) that being an an intelligent, hard-working, honest and likeable bloke counts for virtually nothing if you can't deliver performances and results in the PL.

So I'm not attempting to justify my comment, I'm explaining why I made it - a subtle difference, which you will probably fail to appreciate.

Before McDermott took us as low as we now find ourselves, I made it clear that I respected all his qualities you refer to, and what he has achieved in the past. However, I made it equally clear that, IMO, those things alone were not enough if he continued to fail, failed to learn and adapt, and took us to rapid relegation this season. I remain unchanged in that view.

And I'm afraid if he continues to perform/manage the way he is, and then adds insult to injury with his post match interviews, then I may well react with some more 'abuse' in the heat of the moment. What's more, I will not be the only one and you will increasingly see the side of football fans you despise.

Strangely, given all that you say about me, as someone who does regularly attend matches, I think it will still be some time before I joined in chants for McDermott's dismissal. In the heat of the moment, I may yell about some of his ludicrous tactics/substitutions etc. but I don't really want to subject him to mass chants. I hope either he or the club will do the sensible thing before it comes to that.

We may not have the same level of funds, which is why it is even more critical that the manager doesn't squander those that he has on players who don't fit in with his preferred style of play. Equally, the manager/club should not further limit their choices by freezing players out of contention due to contractual issues.

So much wriggling.

So now he's not a clown, that was just said in the heat of the moment, right?

Now he's just "pretty dumb".

Great. What a fella.

So brain of Britain, care to explain why McDermott did what he did and said what he said? Then try to explain how in the context of the game and our position in the table it made any sense at all?

Yes, the term 'pretty dumb' was used in a more considered moment to describe McDermott's actions and statements because what he did and what he said was stupid. Why the f8ck put a player on the bench if you are not prepared to use him because 'we still have to get him up to speed?

Equally, I would suggest it is not the brightest thing to do to belligerently persist with 4-4-2 when our midfield is repeatedly being overrun and few, if any, teams in the PL play with that formation on a regular basis.

And as for 'I put three forwards on because we needed to score and when I did that last season we scored lots'. :roll:

I'm not wriggling because I don't need to. What's more wriggling would suggest I acknowledged some worth in what you said. I don't. I don't really give a jot for what you think or say (wtf am I bothering to respond?!). And I was right, you do fail to spot subtle differences.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 09 Dec 2012 16:04

MmmMonsterMunch RB - you've been calling him a clown for a while now so don't try to make out it was heat of the moment. And as for saying you only decided you wanted him out 2 weeks ago well that is total bollox too. You've been slagging him off for ages & yes I will trawl through your posts to prove it if required.

You will have to look hard for 'clown' and as for slagging him off (not for ages, though) that is very different from stating that I wanted him out. In fact you will find that whilst, I was critical of a lot of what he was doing (and why shouldn't I be?), I was saying that his past achievements warranted him being given a bit more time to show he could put things right. That is why I stated he should be given till the end of November. Now we have got to December and there are more signs of him getting things wrong than putting things right, it is time for him to go.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 09 Dec 2012 17:34

I don't think Brian has long left now. The dressing is split, to put it mildly. He has one player who has openly mocked him for being tactically inept, and a 'favourite' proving to be quite the trouble maker, which would come as a surprise to many. Another player who Brian would want to rely on to support him also turned on him yesterday in the dressing room after the game. Can a manager rein them all back in and get their full backing? I can't recall the last time I saw that.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Dec 2012 17:36

Roberts will be one of them - he can't keep his mouth shut. :roll:

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 09 Dec 2012 17:38

Royal Lady Roberts will be one of them - he can't keep his mouth shut. :roll:

I agree all he frigging does is moan moan moan

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Dec 2012 17:39

I'm seriously tempted to tweet him and ask him why he rarely jumps for a ball. He's getting on my nerves a tad now with some of his tweets.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Dec 2012 17:41

ManchesterRoyals
Royal Lady Roberts will be one of them - he can't keep his mouth shut. :roll:

I agree all he frigging does is moan moan moan

if he turned on the manager and told him the true reality then he has my backing

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Dec 2012 17:42

players moaning and causing problems a oxf*rd disgrace

brian isnt asking them to pass to the opposition, blast their shots wide, and defend like dicks

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Dec 2012 17:43

melonhead players moaning and causing problems a oxf*rd disgrace

brian isnt asking them to pass to the opposition, blast their shots wide, and defend like dicks

he sends them out with tactics that are clearly not working.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 09 Dec 2012 17:46

Exactly, we've all vented our frustrations at incompetent managers.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 09 Dec 2012 17:49

Friday's Legacy I don't think Brian has long left now. The dressing is split, to put it mildly. He has one player who has openly mocked him for being tactically inept, and a 'favourite' proving to be quite the trouble maker, which would come as a surprise to many. Another player who Brian would want to rely on to support him also turned on him yesterday in the dressing room after the game. Can a manager rein them all back in and get their full backing? I can't recall the last time I saw that.

Roberts and Tabb? Player openly mocking him is presumably one of those frozen out?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 09 Dec 2012 17:49

MmmMonsterMunch RB - you've been calling him a clown for a while now so don't try to make out it was heat of the moment. And as for saying you only decided you wanted him out 2 weeks ago well that is total bollox too. You've been slagging him off for ages & yes I will trawl through your posts to prove it if required.

:lol:

Presumably you backed down on this because you saw that on 31st October, RB wrote this.

Its looking like we may fail again in the PL - on both occasions with very good and previously very successful managers. So maybe it's not the managers that are the problem but more those that manage them.

And on 1st November, he wrote this.

I'm so hoping for a miracle turn around. It would be absolutely tragic if McDermott has to leave RFC after all he has done for the club over very many years. Would be nice if they could find him another meaningful role in that eventuality but I suspect that is unlikely.

:lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Dec 2012 17:50

same players proved not up to playing a different system

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Dec 2012 17:51

when he tried it before in what is still our worst performance of the season

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Dec 2012 17:51

Avon Royal Exactly, we've all vented our frustrations at incompetent managers.

hes not incompetent though

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 09 Dec 2012 17:54

melonhead
Avon Royal Exactly, we've all vented our frustrations at incompetent managers.

hes not incompetent though

Seems the players think otherwise........

Get Carter

by Get Carter » 09 Dec 2012 17:55

Looking at the fixtures and assuming McD is still in charge, it is difficult to see where the next point is coming from.
It is pretty obvious that we can't compete in this league and since McD knows it is a results business, surely it is time for him to walk.

3209 posts