Brian is staying according JM on BBCRB

152 posts
Cypry

Re: Brian is staying according JM on BBCRB

by Cypry » 11 Dec 2012 06:39

Wimb
Cypry
£40M? If you're talking about the increase in TV money next season then you can halve that figure, for clubs finishing in the bottom half it'll be around £10M from the domestic contract and about the same from overseas....

Not sure if you mean what the rises will be or what clubs get per season. Even WoLOLves earned about £40m in TV revenue for finishing last.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/201 ... xt-190601/

Same article looks at the revenue increases next year, looks like it'll be at least £14m and as much as £33m :shock:

I meant the increase - The Telegraph has the rise for a bottom end club as £10M from the UK contract (Sky, BBC etc) with about the same, possibly up to £20M from the, as yet not finalised, overseas contracts....certainly not £40M extra....

Cypry

by Cypry » 11 Dec 2012 06:44

royalp-we Huge pinch of salt, Anton gets along with Brian but why would he feel affection and loyalty. He put his money in to this club as an investment. If we go down the valuation of the club WILL HALF.

If we go down, the valuation of the club will be a bit more than he paid for it, due to the capital spending on infrastructure....

Today's value of the club is only relevant if he wants to sell the club TODAY.....it's completely meaningless as it looks like Anton is playing the "long game" and is going to be around for a while....

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 11 Dec 2012 06:49

Cypry
Wimb
Cypry
£40M? If you're talking about the increase in TV money next season then you can halve that figure, for clubs finishing in the bottom half it'll be around £10M from the domestic contract and about the same from overseas....

Not sure if you mean what the rises will be or what clubs get per season. Even WoLOLves earned about £40m in TV revenue for finishing last.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/201 ... xt-190601/

Same article looks at the revenue increases next year, looks like it'll be at least £14m and as much as £33m :shock:

I meant the increase - The Telegraph has the rise for a bottom end club as £10M from the UK contract (Sky, BBC etc) with about the same, possibly up to £20M from the, as yet not finalised, overseas contracts....certainly not £40M extra....

Ah yeah then fair enough.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Dec 2012 06:59

I'd imagine that when VM said 'The owners have also understood that £40 million of TV money will be coming their way whereas our lot don't seem to have grasped that fact' he meant this seasons revenue for being in the Premier League.

Unfortunately the majority of that will have been spent on doubling our existing wage bill.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Dec 2012 09:00

Royal91 Can McDermott change our style over the next 5 years is the real the question? From boring rigid 4-4-2 to a more expansive 4-3-3/4-5-1.

Are the rules being changed? Do we have to do this?

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 11 Dec 2012 09:22

LoyalRoyal22 Brian still has my backing. This squad is the weakest in the division, and a 5m budget in the summer for him was not enough. Cant see anybody else doing a much better job with this current squad. The squad has good foundations, but we need 3 players of Premier League quality to compete, potentially will be to late by January.

Exactly. Ridiculous amount of money after promotion. He did quite well with the signings but we need better quality players. I'd give him till the end of season personally no matter what happens.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Dec 2012 09:24

royal_ross
LoyalRoyal22 Brian still has my backing. This squad is the weakest in the division, and a 5m budget in the summer for him was not enough. Cant see anybody else doing a much better job with this current squad. The squad has good foundations, but we need 3 players of Premier League quality to compete, potentially will be to late by January.

Exactly. Ridiculous amount of money after promotion. He did quite well with the signings but we need better quality players. I'd give him till the end of season personally no matter what happens.

lol

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 11 Dec 2012 09:53

Just hoping beyond hope that SJM doesn't get any ideas about doing a Delia style "Where are ya" "Lets be having you" on Monday against the Arsenal with all this tension around :oops:

You could imagine that even if the board wanted Brian to go, it would be at the expense of any further transfers for players. There again, if we sign anyone else who isn't up to it, I wouldn't want us burdened by them draining the wage coffers if - dare I say it - 'we move on'.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2012 10:37

winchester_royal
royal_ross

lol

:|

5 million quid

6 positions require filling

who would yopu have bought?
which positions would you not bother to fill?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 11 Dec 2012 10:46

melonhead

5 million quid

Sorry Brendy, but you can't possibly claim this summer was a successful one.

Gunter - No improvement on Cummings, 2.5m spent, doesn't get in team
Mariappa - I like him, but he hasn't played regularly and is no improvement on Pearce
Shorey - The one good signing, but even he has made mistakes
Guthrie - Doesn't play
Pog - Benched for the last few weeks, has looked immobile and doesn't fit our style. Highest earner in our history but certainly not the highest in terms of achievement.
McCleary - 4th choice winger, okay but no improvement on the other 3

Individually as players they are all decent, but we needed more than that. We needed players who would take us to another level.

As it is, we are no better than we were last season.

Esteban

by Esteban » 11 Dec 2012 11:03

winchester_royal
melonhead

5 million quid

Mariappa - I like him, but he hasn't played regularly and is no improvement on Pearce
Guthrie - Doesn't play
Pog - Benched for the last few weeks, has looked immobile and doesn't fit our style. Highest earner in our history but certainly not the highest in terms of achievement.

Individually as players they are all decent, but we needed more than that. We needed players who would take us to another level.

Is that not partly due to the transfer budget though? We certainly haven't improved enough, but the squad is stronger, simply by virtue of the fact that we now have cover where previously there was none. Arbitrarily, the summer transfer dealings were not good enough, but from a broader viewpoint, he did the best he could with what he had to work with.

It's a balancing act and unfortunately, the scales have tipped the wrong way for us. But it was bitch of a task and, given the transfer budget, one we had to muddle through, rather than approach with confidence from a position of strength.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Dec 2012 11:04

Silver Fox
Royal91 Can McDermott change our style over the next 5 years is the real the question? From boring rigid 4-4-2 to a more expansive 4-3-3/4-5-1.

Have to? No. Need to? Yeah, I'd think we do.

We probably need to move with the times, or perhaps we should go back to playing 2-3-5.

There aren't many teams still playing 4-4-2 on a regular basis and so if we stick with the way McDermott has had us playing this season we'll probably never progress from where we are now. I doubt that's what the club has in mind. I doubt it's what McDermott had in mind either considering the summer signings and the way we started the season.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 11 Dec 2012 11:09

Esteban
winchester_royal
melonhead

5 million quid

Guthrie - Doesn't play

Is that not partly due to the transfer budget though? We certainly haven't improved enough, but the squad is stronger, simply by virtue of the fact that we now have cover where previously there was none. Arbitrarily, the summer transfer dealings were not good enough, but from a broader viewpoint, he did the best he could with what he had to work with.

It's a balancing act and unfortunately, the scales have tipped the wrong way for us. But it was bitch of a task and, given the transfer budget, one we had to muddle through, rather than approach with confidence from a position of strength.

In comparison though, Sidwell would have been available for decent money, and West Ham snapped Diame up for a free who looks like a proper player.

Saints got Clyne for less than the money we spent on Gunter.

The budget was limiting, but that just makes it even more unforgivable that we wasted what we did have on guys who either aren't better than what we have, or guys who weren't going to fit in.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 11 Dec 2012 11:09

Silver Fox

People will only moan after 2 or 3 bad results and say 'play 2 up front'

It's not about systems, it's about players. for the level Reading don't have enough Premiership quality players, everyone knew that from Day 1 and was always going to be the case. Brian has to give them the first go because they got them there but in January if Reading are in with a chance of staying up then they need to address it, especially in midfield.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 11 Dec 2012 11:15

I'm with Winch on this one, it's ok to not get top quality players when you've only got say £8m (with signing on fees etc) to spend, but you should at least be able to get 2/3 players in who are playing week in week out. The misjudgment over Guthrie is the one that's getting us relegated though, no different to the gamble with Fae & Cisse that sunk us four years ago :(

Esteban

by Esteban » 11 Dec 2012 11:21

winchester_royal In comparison though, Sidwell would have been available for decent money, and West Ham snapped Diame up for a free who looks like a proper player.

The budget was limiting, but that just makes it even more unforgivable that we wasted what we did have on guys who either aren't better than what we have, or guys who weren't going to fit in.

I'm not sure that Sidwell would have been available that cheaply. Fair comment on Diame. I thought Gunter might make the step up better than he has too.

Hindsight has given us a clear view on the transfer we did make, but on paper before the season started, what was your opinion on the summer dealings? Personally, I thought we'd done pretty well to sign some of the better Championship players and a couple of solid PL players. Granted they haven't worked out, but when you spend £5m on seven players, it's always likely to be a gamble. This one hasn't paid off for us.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2012 11:26

winchester_royal
melonhead

5 million quid

Guthrie - Doesn't play

disagree with last statement

and i repeat.

5 million to spend.
6 positions to fill

who would you have bought
which positions would you not have bothered to fill

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2012 11:28

Esteban
winchester_royal In comparison though, Sidwell would have been available for decent money, and West Ham snapped Diame up for a free who looks like a proper player.

I'm not sure that Sidwell would have been available that cheaply. Fair comment on Diame. I thought Gunter might make the step up better than he has too.

Hindsight has given us a clear view on the transfer we did make, but on paper before the season started, what was your opinion on the summer dealings? Personally, I thought we'd done pretty well to sign some of the better Championship players and a couple of solid PL players. Granted they haven't worked out, but when you spend £5m on seven players, it's always likely to be a gamble. This one hasn't paid off for us.

in my view thats how you have to view the transfers.
the vast majority on here were very happy when they were made

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Dec 2012 12:01

I was happy but even at the time didn't think they were enough .... but the main problem has been that our two top signings Guthrie and Pog have not had any real effect. All the others were good but not amazing signings. I still think the biggest mistake was not signing a proper strong and skillful holding midfielder - Legs is just not up to the task. I believe it's the source of all our problems - it means too much pressure falls onto our defence and we lose the ball too easily going forward.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2012 12:14

5 million quid

of course they werent going to be enough

agree on pog and guthrie-but dont think theyve shown they deserve to be weekly fixtures in th eteam

152 posts