Brian is staying according JM on BBCRB

152 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Brian is staying according JM on BBCRB

by Royal Lady » 11 Dec 2012 12:22

I heard part of the JM interview on BBCRB this morning and he clearly said that AZ gets involved in who McD should be buying but that he (JM) didn't ever do that. If McD is happy with that, then he's an idiot. Why would AZ think he knows more than the manager? Plus, JM said Nicky Hammond was in Moscow looking at a couple of players for January. :roll

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Dec 2012 12:26

melonhead
winchester_royal
melonhead
:|

5 million quid

6 positions require filling

who would yopu have bought?
which positions would you not bother to fill?

Sorry Brendy, but you can't possibly claim this summer was a successful one.

Gunter - No improvement on Cummings, 2.5m spent, doesn't get in team
Mariappa - I like him, but he hasn't played regularly and is no improvement on Pearce
Shorey - The one good signing, but even he has made mistakes
Guthrie - Doesn't play
Pog - Benched for the last few weeks, has looked immobile and doesn't fit our style. Highest earner in our history but certainly not the highest in terms of achievement.
McCleary - 4th choice winger, okay but no improvement on the other 3

Individually as players they are all decent, but we needed more than that. We needed players who would take us to another level.

As it is, we are no better than we were last season.

disagree with last statement

and i repeat.

5 million to spend.
6 positions to fill

who would you have bought
which positions would you not have bothered to fill

Odd question. I don't have a scouting system at my side, nor do I know the availability/price of certain players.

All I'm saying is that the players we brought in have not improved the group to anywhere near the extent we needed them to. The budget was not 5m, it was clearly a fair bit more given the agent/signing fees we'd have needed to pay to secure the likes of Pog/Guth.

I'd rather we'd brought in 2 players that would have added real quality, than 6 players who are very similar in quality to those that were already here.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 11 Dec 2012 12:32

melonhead
noelgallagher
melonhead brian on record multiple times saying he spent the whole budget
AZ has given 10 million more than JM(or me, or you) could have given, and perhaps thats all he felt able to gamble.
not sure your in a position to judge what he should and shouldnt be gambling from his investors personal wealth.

I don't need to be in any sort of 'position' to know that for a team that last year punched above it's weight, entering the PL with a budget of £10m is not a gamble. It's just plain stupidity and quite frankly poor form from those running the club. Lessons were clearly not learned from the last time the club reached this level. If anything, it's a harder & far more difficult a league to remain in.

its all brians fault
but he was only given 10 million to spend
owner should have spent more
he only had ten million he felt he could give

who do you blame next?

sometimes things just are. and no one is to blame.

Your forget everyone, even if melonheads mum was raped by a member of the RFC board/coaching staff, he would still support them.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 11 Dec 2012 12:41

Really grates me when someone says McDermott got £10m to spend.

He got £5m (or thereabouts.

Every club incurs wages, to represent McDermott's 'transfer budget' you should only look at the marginal amount he realistically had to spend on transfer fees.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 11 Dec 2012 12:49

Who would actually trust Lord Brian of Melonheadshire with the funds now anyway?

Does he actually have the ability to buy players that would move this club forward anyway? He stockpiles shit strikers, buys defenders of a lesser quality than we already have and wastes massive wages and signing on fees on two players that he simply doesn't play.

Strikes me of a man out of his depth, not to mention hat pile of shit CB he had on loan from Spurs last season. He simply can't pick a player.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Dec 2012 12:57

cmonurz Really grates me when someone says McDermott got £10m to spend.

Every club incurs wages, to represent McDermott's 'transfer budget' you should only look at the marginal amount he realistically had to spend on transfer fees.

Eh? It's not wages, it's the added amount of signing-on and agent fees cost when the player is on a free. Hence why so many players let their contracts run down so they can leave on a free.

larry1971

by larry1971 » 11 Dec 2012 12:58

Royal Lady I heard part of the JM interview on BBCRB this morning and he clearly said that AZ gets involved in who McD should be buying but that he (JM) didn't ever do that. If McD is happy with that, then he's an idiot. Why would AZ think he knows more than the manager? Plus, JM said Nicky Hammond was in Moscow looking at a couple of players for January. :roll

problem is that's pretty much the way football is today the days of when the manager had the power over transfers is now pretty much over with the exception of a few clubs transfers are now delt with by a director of football which I belive is how things are done at most of Europes other leagues.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Dec 2012 13:09

Lacoste Your forget everyone, even if melonheads mum was raped by a member of the RFC board/coaching staff, he would still support them.

And for some posters on here Brian could cure their Mum's AIDS and they'd still hate him

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 Dec 2012 13:39

The Brian hate is ridiculous. However, either a/ he was offered loads of money to strengthen and bizarrely turned it down or b/ he was given 3M net to spend on players (5M less 2M recouped in sales) plus a few million for signing on fees and wages.

If the former then he is an idiot.

If (far more likely) the latter then I think he did well in the transfer market. 90% of us were happy with the signings at the time. He had to fill 6 positions and he did that. The players he brought in were much better than the players we let go. Every purchase is a risk and some take time to come good. I think several of the players will be huge for us in the Championship next season - Mariappa, McCleary, maybe Gunter, maybe Shorey (if we can get him to stay), maybe Pog (although I would expect him to leave).

What is for sure is that our Championship squad for 2013/14 will be MUCH better than our Championship winning squad of 2011/12.

Webster750

by Webster750 » 11 Dec 2012 13:50

andrew1957 The Brian hate is ridiculous. However, either a/ he was offered loads of money to strengthen and bizarrely turned it down or b/ he was given 3M net to spend on players (5M less 2M recouped in sales) plus a few million for signing on fees and wages.

If the former then he is an idiot.

If (far more likely) the latter then I think he did well in the transfer market. 90% of us were happy with the signings at the time. He had to fill 6 positions and he did that. The players he brought in were much better than the players we let go. Every purchase is a risk and some take time to come good. I think several of the players will be huge for us in the Championship next season - Mariappa, McCleary, maybe Gunter, maybe Shorey (if we can get him to stay), maybe Pog (although I would expect him to leave).

What is for sure is that our Championship squad for 2013/14 will be MUCH better than our Championship winning squad of 2011/12.

Shorey wouldn't be crucial IMO, with Mills who was unfortunate to get injured around the same time that he was starting to flourish in the team, I'm sure he'd take the LB spot with not much of a problem.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Dec 2012 13:51

larry1971
Royal Lady I heard part of the JM interview on BBCRB this morning and he clearly said that AZ gets involved in who McD should be buying but that he (JM) didn't ever do that. If McD is happy with that, then he's an idiot. Why would AZ think he knows more than the manager? Plus, JM said Nicky Hammond was in Moscow looking at a couple of players for January. :roll

problem is that's pretty much the way football is today the days of when the manager had the power over transfers is now pretty much over with the exception of a few clubs transfers are now delt with by a director of football which I belive is how things are done at most of Europes other leagues.

Yes, thank you, I know what a Director of Football (Nicky Hammond) does - I was pointing out the comment that Anton, who is not yet our chairman, but the major shareholder, is getting involved in who McD should be buying and how JM gave the impression that he wasn't keen on that.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2012 14:25

obviously in brians opinion - owner who interferes and has some money to give him for players>>owner who doesnt interfere but has no money to give him for players

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2012 14:27

winchester_royal
melonhead
winchester_royal Sorry Brendy, but you can't possibly claim this summer was a successful one.

Gunter - No improvement on Cummings, 2.5m spent, doesn't get in team
Mariappa - I like him, but he hasn't played regularly and is no improvement on Pearce
Shorey - The one good signing, but even he has made mistakes
Guthrie - Doesn't play
Pog - Benched for the last few weeks, has looked immobile and doesn't fit our style. Highest earner in our history but certainly not the highest in terms of achievement.
McCleary - 4th choice winger, okay but no improvement on the other 3

Individually as players they are all decent, but we needed more than that. We needed players who would take us to another level.

As it is, we are no better than we were last season.

disagree with last statement

and i repeat.

5 million to spend.
6 positions to fill

who would you have bought
which positions would you not have bothered to fill

Odd question. I don't have a scouting system at my side, nor do I know the availability/price of certain players.

All I'm saying is that the players we brought in have not improved the group to anywhere near the extent we needed them to. The budget was not 5m, it was clearly a fair bit more given the agent/signing fees we'd have needed to pay to secure the likes of Pog/Guth.

I'd rather we'd brought in 2 players that would have added real quality, than 6 players who are very similar in quality to those that were already here.

totakl budget was 10 million for fees and wages.
spent all of it.
its not odd at all. if you think we spent that budget poorly, then its not unreasonable to ask how would you have filled the gaping holes in the squad that needed filling on such a tiny budget better than brian did?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Dec 2012 14:28

What? Even if those players aren't right for the team? Next thing you know, AZ will be picking the team. We know he's already been in the dressing room and spoken to the players. :roll:

EDIT: That was to Bendy

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2012 14:29

Lacoste
melonhead
noelgallagher I don't need to be in any sort of 'position' to know that for a team that last year punched above it's weight, entering the PL with a budget of £10m is not a gamble. It's just plain stupidity and quite frankly poor form from those running the club. Lessons were clearly not learned from the last time the club reached this level. If anything, it's a harder & far more difficult a league to remain in.

its all brians fault
but he was only given 10 million to spend
owner should have spent more
he only had ten million he felt he could give

who do you blame next?

sometimes things just are. and no one is to blame.

Your forget everyone, even if melonheads mum was raped by a member of the RFC board/coaching staff, he would still support them.

ive asked before, and im asking again, stop talking about my mum being raped.

ive happily criticised brian, and the club this season.
just not at every opportunity like you.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2012 14:31

cmonurz Really grates me when someone says McDermott got £10m to spend.

agree- but when the bulk of the transfers were frees it helps to include the signing on fees/wages
when buying new players you have to include the extra wages being payed as increase in spending, and to be reflected in the budget.

either way

5 million/10 million still the smallest transfer budget in the league, on top of what was already the lowest quality squad in the league

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2012 14:33

Royal Lady
larry1971

Yes, thank you, I know what a Director of Football (Nicky Hammond) does - I was pointing out the comment that Anton, who is not yet our chairman, but the major shareholder, is getting involved in who McD should be buying and how JM gave the impression that he wasn't keen on that.

giving opinions, offering to buy players for him =/= dictating who he should buy

larry1971

by larry1971 » 11 Dec 2012 15:39

Royal Lady
larry1971

melonhead [
giving opinions, offering to buy players for him =/= dictating who he should buy

you get the feeling that a lot of these players "being sujested" will come from Russia, we can only hope that these players if bought can help the club progress and that they are not just a load of cut price players nearing the end of their career and just looking for a big pay day.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Dec 2012 15:44

melonhead totakl budget was 10 million for fees and wages.

It was? You were privvy to the budget discussions then brendy?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2012 16:01

:roll: clearly stated on numerous occasions that he had a budget and spent it all.

be that 5 million plus wages

or ten million.

if you dont believe that that is fine.

but i do.

152 posts