SPECULATION: Andrey Arshavin

464 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: SPECULATION: Andrey Arshavin

by ZacNaloen » 24 Dec 2012 14:42

Pepe the Horseman It just means lots of people have read the story and lumped on, doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Exactly, wasn't the market closed on Mcdermott joining Wolves at one point?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Dec 2012 14:43

ZacNaloen
Pepe the Horseman It just means lots of people have read the story and lumped on, doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Exactly, wasn't the market closed on Mcdermott joining Wolves at one point?

Yeh, think Defoe was evens to join us at one point as well!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 24 Dec 2012 14:45

Genuinely believe we did speak to him, and if the wages were there he would have joined though.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 24 Dec 2012 14:58

He'll link up nicely with Robbie Fowler and Ruel Fox.

Den-Rus

by Den-Rus » 24 Dec 2012 15:20

Arshavin now and Arshavin a few years ago - two different Arshavins. He lost his motivation, became more lazy and fat, and I'm not sure that he will be able to help Reading, but I hope he can do it.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 24 Dec 2012 15:23

OilPriceBates is another trusted Arsenal source and he thinks it's perm deal at around £3m. I just can't see the lad committing to us when we look nailed on for relegation. Loan yes, perm no chance.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 24 Dec 2012 15:25

Den-Rus Arshavin now and Arshavin a few years ago - two different Arshavins. He lost his motivation, became more lazy and fat, and I'm not sure that he will be able to help Reading, but I hope he can do it.

Considering the standard of player we have here, he's still a big improvement. Just feels like a very expensive loan deal when we should perhaps be looking at a top-end Championship player that would add something now but most certainly add a lot next season if we do go down.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 24 Dec 2012 15:25

SPARTA OilPriceBates is another trusted Arsenal source and he thinks it's perm deal at around £3m. I just can't see the lad committing to us when we look nailed on for relegation. Loan yes, perm no chance.

Relegation clause obviously. I'd agree with the loan but, maybe a back to Russia clause involved if perm... but a permanent wouldn't make sense.

Why would we waste 3m?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Dec 2012 15:25

Den-Rus Arshavin now and Arshavin a few years ago - two different Arshavins. He lost his motivation, became more lazy and fat, and I'm not sure that he will be able to help Reading, but I hope he can do it.

Depends if he's lost motivation because he thinks he's fulfilled his potential (and earning capacity) or if its just because he slipped down the pecking order at Arsenal and so then tailed off.

Even if it is the former, and we can't turn that around, you'd have to think that his quality would improve us even at 80% of what he used to be.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 24 Dec 2012 16:10

He really isn't fat, he wouldn't be still making the Arsenal bench if he was.

Yes he isn't the player he was 3 years ago but we wouldn't have a hope in hell of signing him if he was. Still a considerable cut above any of our other options to play on the wing or in the hole, and playing with his good m8 Pog might just get the best out of both.

4m is a snip for a guy being linked with Barca 3 years ago.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 24 Dec 2012 16:22

winchester_royal He really isn't fat, he wouldn't be still making the Arsenal bench if he was.

Yes he isn't the player he was 3 years ago but we wouldn't have a hope in hell of signing him if he was. Still a considerable cut above any of our other options to play on the wing or in the hole, and playing with his good m8 Pog might just get the best out of both.

4m is a snip for a guy being linked with Barca 3 years ago.

this. it would be a HUGE sign of intent from the club if we land arshavin. it would be a huge boost to have someone with so much class and quality playing for us.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 24 Dec 2012 16:30

Any player of this stature we would usually say no chance but what a great signing - Arshavin is Russian so it makes it more likely so people start saying it wouldn't be a good signing?! Ridiculous logic, we're 20th in the Premier League and are looking at signing a top Premier League player, thats not necessarily a Champions League quality player (don't forget how high Arsenal actually have finished the last 10 odd years) but a top Prem player nontheless.

I'd put my house on teams like West Brom, Newcastle, Fulham, Everton, heck even Tottenham or Liverpool being happy with this signing - I think we've got to be delighted with it.

IF it comes off.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 24 Dec 2012 16:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIRxxurh0xg

so much class. id cum buckets if we pull this off. i really hope this isnt a wind up like siggy.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 24 Dec 2012 16:53

the more i watch videos of his and see how much quality and class he has the less i believe that he would come to reading to be honest. world class player joining a club that is in a relegation dogfight when other clubs that are midtable and better would love to have him, could afford his wages, and he would probably fit better with their system. who knows though, maybe anton has more pull with arshavin than we know, thats the beautiful thing about football, anything can happen.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 24 Dec 2012 17:04

It's nice to be linked with world class players but it won't happen.

Divvy

by Divvy » 24 Dec 2012 17:17

Royal91 It's nice to be linked with world class players but it won't happen.

Arsenal fans seem convinced it will, but I agree only on loan. He'd be mental to sign perm.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 24 Dec 2012 17:20

Divvy
Royal91 It's nice to be linked with world class players but it won't happen.

Arsenal fans seem convinced it will, but I agree only on loan. He'd be mental to sign perm.

I know loads of Arsenal fans are convinced he's gone but loads of them still want him to remain at the club (And Start)

You could argue Berbatov for £3m is in the same bracket as this move.

I guess it would be either a loan or include some relegation clause. But watching Andrey in the championship would be hilarious.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 24 Dec 2012 17:32

where is fl when you need him! surely he will know?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 24 Dec 2012 18:37

As far as Arsenal sources go this chap is on a par with Sanderson. Sounds positive, but not clear if loan or perm. If they're willing to compromise on wages then it sounds like a loan to me, but what's the £3m deal all about?

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 24 Dec 2012 18:41

Loan fee?

464 posts