Jobi jeered when subbed - drop or not to drop?

Would you drop McAnuff?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 106
gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

Re: Jobi jeered when subbed - drop or not to drop?

by gazzer, loyal royal » 27 Dec 2012 12:14

at QPR the fans behind me were giving it to McAnuff in the warm up. Everyone has a personal opinion who should be in the team, but jeering someone when they are subbed doesn't help, support whoever is on the pitch and let the management make their own decisions.

He brings alot to the team defensively which Robson Kanu does not - just look at the Man Utd game for an example. A wingers job is not just going forward

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 27 Dec 2012 12:23

SCIAG Jobi is clearly a cut above HRK

I actually spat my tea out when I read this! Your cleary a crack addict!

Jobi - 0 goals
HRK - 3 goals

Jobi - 6 assists
HRK - 4 assists

Jobi - 6 Goals created
HRK - 7 Goals created

Winner - HRK

With Jobi playing alot alot alot alot alot more! If he was 'Clearly a cut above' then surely his stats would be far supreme?!?!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Dec 2012 12:29

And when you factor in minutes played,
offensively HRK is more than 300% better

1,656 Minutes Played 0 Goals - 6 Assists = 6 Goals created = 1 GC every 276 Minutes JOBI

0,596 Minutes Played 3 Goals - 4 Assists = 7 Goals created = 1 GC every 086 Minutes HRK

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 27 Dec 2012 12:31

Snowball And when you factor in minutes played,

1,656 Minutes Played 0 Goals - 6 Assists = 6 Goals created = 1 GC every 276 Minutes JOBI

0,596 Minutes Played 3 Goals - 4 Assists = 7 Goals created = 1 GC every 086 Minutes HRK

BOOM!

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 27 Dec 2012 12:52

Snowball And when you factor in minutes played,

I actually think HRK may end up developing into more of a wing forward or even striker as his career develops.

He has certainly bulked out enough for the role whilst losing some of the pace so important to beating your fullback round the outside.
His defensive concentration can sometimes leave a bit to be desired.

He has developed well as a player in the last 12 months though. A success story for the academy certainly.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Dec 2012 12:57

LoyalRoyal22
SCIAG Jobi is clearly a cut above HRK (though I do like HRK). He has four assists this season, the same as some of the most creative players in the league like Santi Cazorla, David Silva and Nicky Shorey (;)). He is far better defensively than HRK and a better passer.

We could try McCleary on the left, but I'd rather have HRK. Switching Kebe would leave our defensively useless right back exposed.

The right back that has contributed to conceeding one goal in the last 2 games.. And played in our other clean sheet at home to Norwich

Oh

Either right back, neither can defend particularly well. The fact that we happen to not concede any doesn't mean our right back is any good, we've kept clean sheets with some defenders who are much worse than Gunter/Cummings before, like Kalifa Cisse or Sam Sodje. Even if I was to accept your argument, this is the right back who helped us concede 7 against Arsenal reserves.

moonwalklikebas

Jobi - 0 goals
HRK - 3 goals

Jobi - 6 assists
HRK - 4 assists

Jobi - 6 Goals created
HRK - 7 Goals created

Winner - HRK

With Jobi playing alot alot alot alot alot more! If he was 'Clearly a cut above' then surely his stats would be far supreme?!?!

This isn't baseball. This is football, which is a much more complex game and cannot be reduced to a few simplistic stats.

For one things, goals and assists are not the only contributions to goals. If, for example, a player splits the defence with a pass, it is played across goal and then a goal is scored, doesn't the first player deserve credit?

You also have to take into account the context of contributions. A couple of assists in a crazy 7-5 match where neither team is bothering to defend and the opposition are using their fourth choice goalkeeper don't mean as much. Additionally, HRK comes on late in matches, running at tired defences, and is very attacking and direct in an attempt to get a goal. McAnuff is more subtle and takes fewer risks, being more likely to make a pass to retain possession.

McAnuff has more ability generally. I'm not knocking HRK, he has an important role to play coming on and frightening teams with his pace and directness when we need a goal, but from moment to moment he doesn't offer as much as McAnuff.

I am sure if you took Stephen Hunts "goals and assists per minute" from our promotion season, you'd get a better result than Bobby Convey- but anyone who claims Hunt was a better player than Convey that season simply wasn't watching.

billy1990

by billy1990 » 27 Dec 2012 13:04

sciag for your own sake stop posting nonsense!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Dec 2012 13:07

billy1990 sciag for your own sake stop posting stuff I don't agree with!

Corrected

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Dec 2012 13:49

I'm in total agreement with SCIAG on the McAnuff v Robson-Kanu debate here and also the fact that those stats don't reflect how we'll they've played as they're often asked to do different roles (or seemingly so anyway).

When looking at the stats it would be a bit remiss to compare the two without taking into account goals conceded or chances the opposition have crafted.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 27 Dec 2012 14:38

one issue around this McAnuff thing that bugs me is the amount of sheep that just want to jump on the BOOOOOOO Mcanuff bandwagon but couldn't even tell you why they are really BOOOOOOOing him.

At yesterdays game the Y21 'tard was going mental at McAnuff for what he believed to be the player not being in the right position and not wanting to win a throw on. What had obviously passed him by was that maybe, just maybe, there were tactics involved here. It looked to me like Pog got himself in a position to try and flick on the throw and McAnuff was looking to run on and get it afterwards. That kind of thing didn't matter to our resident f***wit though who screamed blue murder at McAnuff when Pog didn't win the header and shouted something like 'you're a f*****g disgrace McAnuff', at which point McAnuff turned and glanced towards the crowd (maybe just a coincidence)

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 27 Dec 2012 15:04

SCIAG
LoyalRoyal22
SCIAG Jobi is clearly a cut above HRK (though I do like HRK). He has four assists this season, the same as some of the most creative players in the league like Santi Cazorla, David Silva and Nicky Shorey (;)). He is far better defensively than HRK and a better passer.

We could try McCleary on the left, but I'd rather have HRK. Switching Kebe would leave our defensively useless right back exposed.

The right back that has contributed to conceeding one goal in the last 2 games.. And played in our other clean sheet at home to Norwich

Oh

Either right back, neither can defend particularly well. The fact that we happen to not concede any doesn't mean our right back is any good, we've kept clean sheets with some defenders who are much worse than Gunter/Cummings before, like Kalifa Cisse or Sam Sodje. Even if I was to accept your argument, this is the right back who helped us concede 7 against Arsenal reserves.

These were just things i was pointing out. If you want me to be more specific then i will. Gunter is physically stronger, actually attempts to stop crosses. Also i cant remember one Cummings cross which has lead to anything. Gunter against ` arsenal reserves` forced an OG by a great run into the box. Also scored in the cup. His cross against everton lead to Le Fondre being fouled for a penalty against Everton. His powerful overlapping run and dinked cross lead to Le Fondre having the shot cleared off the line. He does more going forward and is defensively stronger than Cummings, really is a no-brainer and i agree with Brian who his selecting him

If Cummings comes up against a half decent winger he is like a rabbit caught in the headlights, just gets bullied

cpmurph

by cpmurph » 27 Dec 2012 15:50

Surely we should be talking about Leigertwood rather than Jobi as the real problem, it's like trying to treat someone for a cold when they've got syphillis. How many times does he give away the ball a game? (waiting for some stats magician to appear).

Oh and I'll do it to myself before anybody else can...Fcuk Off Newbie :D

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 27 Dec 2012 17:44

royal67
Royal91 Good squad player but he rarely delivers.

However if he didn't have to spend time covering the LB likewise with Jimmy their focus might be on attacking.

^^ This....... ^^ I'm astounded that people don't appreciate the defensive shift that McAnuff has to put in when he has that useless twat Harte playing behind him...... Why the feck wasn't Shorey in the squad yesterday.....? I suppose it was Brian's punishment for losing us the City game.....??

I was going to say the reason Jobi gets jeered is because he isn't Kebe and fans who boo expect him to be.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Dec 2012 18:22

Looking at the Premiership games, looking at when HRK was on the pitch I get this

0-0 Home v Swansea Side came alive when (61) HRK and Alf came on. 2 VG chances
2-1 Home v Arsenal (62) (Assist) Losing 4-0 we won the next half-hour 2-1
0-1 Away v Saints (subbed 77th minute)
3-4 Home v Man Utd (Scored)
0-1 Away v Villa
2-3 Away v Wigan (Assist)
2-1 Home v Everton
1-1 Away v QPR
2-1 Home Fulham (scored equaliser)
0-0 Away Swansea
0-0 Away WBA
1-0 Home v Spurs (SCORED)
0-1 Away v Chelsea (The goal when Federici was upfield)

W4 D4 L5 13-14

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 27 Dec 2012 18:30

moonwalklikebas

Jobi - 0 goals
HRK - 3 goals

Jobi - 6 assists
HRK - 4 assists

Jobi - 6 Goals created
HRK - 7 Goals created

Winner - HRK

They are both good to average Championship players sadly playing out of their depth

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Dec 2012 20:17

Jobi was one of my favourite players when he joined, but everything changed when the poor lad was made to play left wing. Did the gentleman ever complain? Throw toys out the pram like Guthrie? Of course not.

when he plays right side consistently he's a different player. I feel sorry for him that hes ousted by kebe and doesn't have a solid side of the pitch to work on.

Hes a good lad but I guess there's nothing wrong with healthy competition.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 29 Dec 2012 18:16

Thought he had a decent game today and did what he needed to without being spectacular

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 29 Dec 2012 18:19

at the moment i rate HRK higher than mcanuff. i have always rated HRK though. 3 goals already and he has been a sub for most matches, he is on great form.

Cookie

by Cookie » 29 Dec 2012 22:23

2 world wars, 1 world cup Jobi was one of my favourite players when he joined, but everything changed when the poor lad was made to play left wing. Did the gentleman ever complain? Throw toys out the pram like Guthrie? Of course not.

when he plays right side consistently he's a different player. I feel sorry for him that hes ousted by kebe and doesn't have a solid side of the pitch to work on.

Hes a good lad but I guess there's nothing wrong with healthy competition.

I agree with you mate.
We hear Jobi getting a lot of stick from fans around us, while Guthrie gets nowt.

He's very clearly the manager's choice, and if you watch games closely you begin to see why.
His work rate is phenominal and he does the unspectacular things well, like the clearance he made today when our defence just couldn't get rid.
He fills in and covers in defence and mid field when needed allowing McDermott more flexibility with his substitutions.

I'm not especially a fan of his, but I do think he's one of our better players.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2012 22:33

McDuff was clearly our best player during the early dark-day Rodgers era.

He has remained pretty much consistant ever since then.

Initially thrown into the captaincy role last season he was a massive fail...however, he "bucked up" and took us to promotion and the Championship.

Still cocking-a-snook to many of his dissenters in the Prem....he still shows flashes of brilliance and yet you just feel his best is yet to come.

"If" he can help lead us to another top flight season, then move over Murtz...a new legend is born