Alex Pearce

769 posts
ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Alex Pearce

by ManchesterRoyals » 05 Jan 2013 19:53

Alexander Litvinenko
That's the point, though - we just don't know what he wants, and whether it's reasonable or not.

It probably reasonable for most clubs but reading

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 05 Jan 2013 19:57

fedders1871 it will be 30-40k tops with maybe a match high earner clause or something

real life isn't football manager

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 05 Jan 2013 20:11

Would like to keep him, but not any price. Tops £25K and that is tops. Suspect he will remain 'decent' for a few years to come, but only 'decent' and certainly not top drawer. Just cannot see him gracing Anfield (or wherever he has deluded aspirations) and being on a par with Skrtel or Agger. Just no way.

Plus Morrison >>>>>>> Pearce at knowing where the goal is when attacking corners!

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 05 Jan 2013 20:23

That's the point, though - we just don't know what he wants, and whether it's reasonable or not.[/quote]
Exactly, agents F uck the game up for everyone.
I assume the discrepancy is to do with relegation clauses etc (lower wages if we go down).
If the club could talk directly to Pearce, over a cup of tea, then it would have been sorted in 5 minutes.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 05 Jan 2013 21:22

ManchesterRoyals Give him what he wants

Thats the spirit. Ditch the financial policy that has been so successful just for 1 player and instead run the club like we did under Burns. Well thought out that man.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jan 2013 21:49

Tony Le Mesmer
ManchesterRoyals Give him what he wants

Thats the spirit. Ditch the financial policy that has been so successful just for 1 player and instead run the club like we did under Burns. Well thought out that man.

Ahh, the good old days of paying over the odds for Scottish players who couldn't even manage mediocrity in League One.

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 06 Jan 2013 00:07

After his thumbs up to our chant at full time I'd be disappointed with him if he didn't sign as he also tapped his badge which would be plain wrong if he intends to leave. As long as we are offering something on a par with other important players you would hope he would sign, as I can understand him being peeved if he was paid less than those doing the same job. That said, I still fail to understand why footballers make decisions based on a small proportion of their wages as those of us in the real world do jobs we love a lot less for a fraction of the money. Hardly a poverty line decision to accept £20k p/w over £30k p/w or whatever figures in the tens of thousands a week may be involved.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 06 Jan 2013 00:17

Alex Pearce, a future captain who loves the club deserves parity at least with someone like Guthrie, a player that cannot be even be arsed to retrieve a miss placed pass.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jan 2013 00:19

TBH I think this is a waiting game. I think it's just a matter of negotiating the right deal, which might depend on more certainty about the level we'll be playing at next season. I think it'll get signed eventually one way or another and he'll be playing for us next season.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 06 Jan 2013 00:38

Kingsley Junior I'd be disappointed with him if he didn't sign as he also tapped his badge which would be plain wrong if he intends to leave.

Football player in making gesture to show supporters what they want to see shocker. How many times have players kissed or patted their badges then left a few days later and kissed or patted the badge of another team?

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 06 Jan 2013 08:50

I know it's a job but what's the difference between £25k and £35k when you're on those sorts of sums? No doubt he's been offered an improved deal. If it were me, I'd say "thanks, I really want to stay, where do I sign?". Strikes me as a disappointing demonstration of greed from a player who I thought would know better.

But then maybe I just don't get it.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 06 Jan 2013 09:01

you dont get it, HTH.

1.3mill or 1.82 mill a year thats 520k a year difference.

So does he take what we will pay him, say 1.2mill, or does he say no and wait till the summer and hope he gets a better offer elsewhere.

Would you accept 20k a year when those in your team doing a similar job were earning 30k? However much experience they have.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 06 Jan 2013 09:24

Albert Spangler I know it's a job but what's the difference between £25k and £35k when you're on those sorts of sums? No doubt he's been offered an improved deal. If it were me, I'd say "thanks, I really want to stay, where do I sign?". Strikes me as a disappointing demonstration of greed from a player who I thought would know better.

Sadly this is where money is ruining the game...what players earn is now their cudos ...and a measure of their ego...
...thy should realise that in this day and age with economic meltdown all around, they count themselves lucky such sums are being waved in front of them, whist joe public has to take wage cuts, battle to keep a roof over their families head, and live a much different lifestyle....

Sky have a lot to answer for creating this greed in players ..IMHO

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 06 Jan 2013 10:12

The Premier League is sold worldwide now, bringing in vast amounts to the game, people want to watch the stars, that is a fact. Therefore these stars are the ones to benefit from the worldwide income.

Watching football on television is much cheaper to the fans than attending games, and there is a a global audience for the big teams with the big stars. That is how it is and it wont chnage in the near future. It is the non stars like Pearce and hundreds of others that then think that they need a bigger slice becaue Rooney, Messi Ronaldo are getting more.

Well to all the players who think like that but play for smaller clubs, the world is barely interested in you, and you do not deserve the massive amounts being paid. RFC on the television is only of interest to the world when they can see Arsenal Man U Liverpool, and guess what the world is looking at them not us.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 06 Jan 2013 10:52

DOYLERSAROYALER
Albert Spangler I know it's a job but what's the difference between £25k and £35k when you're on those sorts of sums? No doubt he's been offered an improved deal. If it were me, I'd say "thanks, I really want to stay, where do I sign?". Strikes me as a disappointing demonstration of greed from a player who I thought would know better.

Sadly this is where money is ruining the game...what players earn is now their cudos ...and a measure of their ego...
...thy should realise that in this day and age with economic meltdown all around, they count themselves lucky such sums are being waved in front of them, whist joe public has to take wage cuts, battle to keep a roof over their families head, and live a much different lifestyle....

Sky have a lot to answer for creating this greed in players ..IMHO

Why is it SKY or any other TV company's fault. They didn't pump the money into the game and then demand the clubs pay players thousands of pounds per week. :|

If you want to blame people it should be the Martin Edwards, Jack Walkers, Roman Abramovich, Sheikh Mansour, owners and chairman who were prepared to pay increasingly average players more and more in the pursuit of glory.

If Pearce is after the same money as Guthrie, well then why shouldn't he ask for it?

In your office if someone doing the same job as you, who'd just walked into the company was given a £25k a week contract while you were being offered £15k, would you be happy just settling for that? I'm sure most of us would dream of £15k a week but would you undersell yourself for no reason when you know full well that none of your fellow players were doing the same?

I don't like the obscene wage levels anymore than anybody but to blame the TV companies, or even the players themselves is pointless. They don't control the purse strings, it's the owners and to a lesser extent the people happy to fork over money to watch games on TV, that dictate the levels of pay.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jan 2013 12:14

Just a thought, maybe it's not that he wants parity with Guthrie or Federici etc. But that he feels he's worth more than Gorkss or Mariappa... which would be fair enough in my view based on the season so far.

Just chucking it out there. I still think eventually he'll sign and there's not a problem now we've pulled our head out our arse and started playing him again.

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 06 Jan 2013 12:18

Alexander Litvinenko
Kingsley Junior I'd be disappointed with him if he didn't sign as he also tapped his badge which would be plain wrong if he intends to leave.

Football player in making gesture to show supporters what they want to see shocker. How many times have players kissed or patted their badges then left a few days later and kissed or patted the badge of another team?

I haven't just come down in the last shower, I am aware that this is hardly an uncommon phenomena. However, as a product of our youth academy, a former captain and someone whom I regard as Reading through and through, his action yesterday spoke more to me than when I see players who have little connection to a club pat their badge, then leave next week. As to the Harpers So Solid Crew, there is a big difference to someone who earns 20k a year wanting parity with the 30k a year and the same figures earned weekly. You don't need thousands a week to live, thousands a year helps keep you above the breadline.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 06 Jan 2013 14:35

One crucial point about footballers and their wages is that what's important to them isn't actually how much they earn - as pointed out once you get above a certain figure you can spend the numbers are meaningless.

But what is absolutely critical to all players and agents is how much you earn RELATIVE TO OTHERS - to others within the game and others at your own club. Everyone in the games knows how much everyone else earns, and that's how football culture sets it's benchmarks and pecking order.

So to players and agents this sort of thing is critically important and a key measure for them.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 06 Jan 2013 22:47

Agree with the above post regarding to getting paid relative to others.

Also think him getting his first cap for Rep Of Ireland may not have helped as he would have foud out what others were getting paid at other clubs.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jan 2013 22:49

Big Ern Agree with the above post regarding to getting paid relative to others.

Also think him getting his first cap for Rep Of Ireland may not have helped as he would have foud out what others were getting paid at other clubs.

Yeah, because he wouldn't have a clue without getting an internation cap. :|

It might hold water to say it won't have helped getting an international cap because it'll make him think he's worth more, and that seeing players in International training who are paid more not prove to be a great deal better than him. But not that he wouldn't have known about other players at other clubs being on bigger wages than him.

769 posts