Speculation : Shane Long to return

598 posts
W&E Royal

Re: Speculation : Shane Long to return

by W&E Royal » 04 Sep 2012 11:17

bracksroyal10 At the end of the day everyone can speculate as to whether we have enough quality to compete in the PL with our current squad or not. However if I remember correctly AZ has said he wants to establish this club in the PL and also outlined some of the big plans he had in store such as upgrading the facilities and expanding the stadium.

I am pretty sure if he is willing to shell out for this he will be more than happy to shell out for new players in January should we find ourselves in trouble by then.

On the other hand you also have to look at our squad from last year that won the npc. Probably wasn't the best looking squad on paper in terms of individual ability. Yet we still won the league and the same applied most definetley when we finished so well in our first ever PL season. As the years go by the PL is becoming more and more competitive outside the top 6 or so like the Championshp in the way that if you go on a run of three victories or so you could find yourself 16th one minute and then suddenly in the top 10.

I personally think we needed to offload a striker or two and bring in another one would of liked to see Zaha as I do believe he will only get better and would add to what we have. Klasnic would of been a great free signing for us too even if it was for a year only. However Roberts still hasn't had his chance yet neither has Churchy who was on fire for us during pre season. Think the PL might bring the best out of Church like it did with some players during our last PL campaign players such as Stephen Hunt who was always the bench boy before then.

Its too early to judge our position in the PL I think by October/November we will all have a very good indication of what needs to be done in order to ensure our PL status for next year.

Simon Church was NOT on fire for us in pre season. He scored a hattrick agains AFC Wimbledon, an AFC Wimbledon that had trialists playing at CB. I saw him at AFC Bournemouth and he was terrible, and that was against League One defenders. I have been a supporter of Churchy over the last couple of seasons but he needs to go to get better, he's getting worse here.

boyal royal

Shane long

by boyal royal » 06 Jan 2013 16:53

easy_odds: The bookies have #WBA striker Shane Long odds on to re-join #readingfc at 4/6. Must be happy with that #royals fans! http://t.co/32ZsLtDN

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Shane long

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Jan 2013 16:54

Yes, because I can see Shane Long leaving Europe chasing West Brom for Championship threatened Reading.

boyal royal

by boyal royal » 06 Jan 2013 16:55

Thats what i thought!! We can dream though

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Jan 2013 16:56

:|

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Jan 2013 16:57

I don't even know why I bother viewing these threads.

I can only assume it's because I'm in work and fed up, bored and nothing better to do (except loads of work which I'm avoiding).

My friend who is really reliable and has involvement with RFC scouting says that he saw Messi in the Oracle on a bus up to Green Park...
Last edited by bobby1413 on 06 Jan 2013 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 06 Jan 2013 16:57

That link has odds for Arshavin :|

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Jan 2013 16:57

Noel Hunt will fire us to safety :lol:

boyal royal

by boyal royal » 06 Jan 2013 16:59

Come across it on internet copied and pasted straight away without checking :oops:

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 06 Jan 2013 17:00

LoyalRoyalFan Noel Hunt will fire us to safety :lol:

:| again.

We're actually 20/1 to sign Long.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 06 Jan 2013 17:01

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 06 Jan 2013 17:18

Steve Clarke won't consider selling, especially with Pardew sniffing around Odemwingie. Not happening.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 06 Jan 2013 17:40

Never going to happen, for a few seasons at least.

He left us as we failed to get promoted and didn´t want another season in the Chump, and with us certain to go down, hw simply will not sign now.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 06 Jan 2013 17:42

And that's something I think not appreciated by those criticising our apparent approach to transfers in this window.

By opting not to invest heavily in the summer and subsequently struggling, we have reduced our pool of potential transfers to expensive short-term loans, players like Rogic and Sunzu with 'potential', and unknowns (because he has hardly played) like Carrico.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 06 Jan 2013 18:04

I think our approach this window is excellent, but suprised you are one of those who thinks investment would have guaranteed a higher league position.

Last time we were promoted we didn't invest much and finished top 10 -this time round we went big on wages (proven to be a better indicator of performance than transfer fees) with players like Pog and Guthrie and invested in players like Mariappa and Gunter who most on this board were happy with.

Our failure is down to three things: Federici's early season form which affected the teams form and points. McDermott and the higher managements management of players like Pearce and Guthrie. Luck; luck with injuries and the fixture lists huge gap after the Sunderland postponement etc.

Oh, and hindsight is a wonderful thing... :wink:

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 06 Jan 2013 18:23

PistolPete I think our approach this window is excellent, but suprised you are one of those who thinks investment would have guaranteed a higher league position.

I think it is a little too early to use the word ´Excellent´ to describe this transfer window so far. 1 promising signing done and dusted quickly, but so far all has gone a little quiet. You would have thought if we were intent on staying up, and knowing where our weaknesses lie. more business would have been completed by now.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 06 Jan 2013 18:31

The window isn't even a third over, have a bit of faith. January is tricky for all the reasons stated, but this is THE opportunity for the owner to show intent following a quiet summer in the market. There is much to play out...

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 06 Jan 2013 18:52

SapperBRoyal The window isn't even a third over, have a bit of faith. January is tricky for all the reasons stated, but this is THE opportunity for the owner to show intent following a quiet summer in the market. There is much to play out...

Even if the owner shows intent, the player still has to...

Odemwingie is rumoured to be going to Everton, Lukaku won't be there next season so he'll be the main man there, and Long left us to go to the Prem - he's not gonna leave West Brom to risk heading back down again...

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 06 Jan 2013 19:09

SapperBRoyal The window isn't even a third over, have a bit of faith. January is tricky for all the reasons stated, but this is THE opportunity for the owner to show intent following a quiet summer in the market. There is much to play out...

This window will certainly show ´intent´ however I suspect it will be for the Chump next year.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 06 Jan 2013 19:12

Almost certainly not. But let's give it a couple of weeks before we panic, eh?

598 posts