Alex Pearce

769 posts
moonwalklikebas

Re: Alex Pearce

by moonwalklikebas » 07 Jan 2013 10:16

West Brom have joined Liverpool in the race to sign Alex Pearce - 'The Sun'

Rodgers has come out and said he is interested in offloading Sebastian Coates. Young CB, not good enough for top of prem, but would do well for a club like us.
Possible player + Cash deal?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 07 Jan 2013 10:34

moonwalklikebas West Brom have joined Liverpool in the race to sign Alex Pearce - 'The Sun'

Rodgers has come out and said he is interested in offloading Sebastian Coates. Young CB, not good enough for top of prem, but would do well for a club like us.
Possible player + Cash deal?

Who pays the cash?

Coates was young player of the tournament at the 2011 Copa America, and has played 9 times for Uruguay. Why would he join us?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 10:37

Harpers So Solid Crew you dont get it, HTH.

1.3mill or 1.82 mill a year thats 520k a year difference.

So does he take what we will pay him, say 1.2mill, or does he say no and wait till the summer and hope he gets a better offer elsewhere.

Would you accept 20k a year when those in your team doing a similar job were earning 30k? However much experience they have.

surely thats the same in all industries
your salary depends not only on your position/role/job but also on how much you were earning before you came, achievments you have made, how hard you negotiated when you signed up, how hard you negotiated at every new contract offer since etc.

i know for a fact im earning 5 grand less than some other people in my role, purely cos i took the job after being redundant for a while, in a very unstable/poor job market at the time- being th ebeginning of the credit crunch.

s' just the way it is.

although if i "knew" i could get the extra money elsewhere id also be tempted to go for it

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 07 Jan 2013 10:45

melonhead
Harpers So Solid Crew you dont get it, HTH.

1.3mill or 1.82 mill a year thats 520k a year difference.

So does he take what we will pay him, say 1.2mill, or does he say no and wait till the summer and hope he gets a better offer elsewhere.

Would you accept 20k a year when those in your team doing a similar job were earning 30k? However much experience they have.

surely thats the same in all industries
your salary depends not only on your position/role/job but also on how much you were earning before you came, achievments you have made, how hard you negotiated when you signed up, how hard you negotiated at every new contract offer since etc.

Like I said before, this isn't a job at John Lewis. To claim football salaries can be compared to a normal job market is a little silly imho.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Jan 2013 10:46

Really think he's off in the summer tbh. I don't think the club showed enough desire to get it done when they had the chance and that coupled with throwing him into the wilderness for 3 months + a new agent means he will more than likely sit back and see what's offered his way in the summer.

Could that then lead to a return back to Reading if they make the best offer? Maybe.

I can't see why it makes sense for him to sign right now and the 'loyalty' card has been burned by the club for treating him shoddily in the first place. Can understand the rough logic why Hammond/Brian made those decisions, but you can't expect to treat a loyal, hard working servant like that and then suddenly appeal to his own loyalty.

Whatever happens he'll give 100% the same way Sidwell did. It's in his interests and he's a hard working guy that won't ever shirk responsibilities on the pitch no matter what is going on off it.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 10:48

i think you are silly.

of course its the same mr urz.
guthrie came from a higher level, is older, more experienced, has experience at this level, and was payed more before he came here, and bargained hard when opffered a contract, hence why he is payed more than pearce.
hence the higher wages, and hence why im right.

pearce should also bargain hard to get closer to guthire if he can, and should also consider looking elsewhere if he doesnt get what he wants.
but to suggest its massively different is wrong.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 07 Jan 2013 10:49

You don't get paid on potential ability and future value in 'normal' jobs anything like you do in football.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 10:53

cmonurz You don't get paid on potential ability and future value in 'normal' jobs anything like you do in football.

everything is magnified the higher the wages, in any industry.
but you will certainly get a job, and a wage based on your potential in normal industries
obviously the future value is different due to transfer fees, and clubs owning players.
but companies will assess how much training etc they have given you, and how much it will cost to replace you and all that training & experience

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 07 Jan 2013 10:55

melonhead but companies will assess how much training etc they have given you, and how much it will cost to replace you and all that training & experience

That's the crux of the discussion really. Some of us feel Pearce is much more replaceable than others do.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 11:39

he is utterly replaceable. no probs with that. would just prefer him to stay.its nice to have home grown players playing regular football for us.
imo his agent is over valuing him. but good luck to the guy.if he can get more money, then he should go for it.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Jan 2013 11:42

Harpers So Solid Crew 1.3mill or 1.82 mill a year thats 520k a year difference.

+ employers costs.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Jan 2013 12:55

Oh good, we can get two Alan Bennetts for that £500k, or a Bennett and a Sodje :roll:

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 07 Jan 2013 13:01

Let's just hope none of these players need to be paid, eh?

Because even a bargain in transfer fees needs to be paid teh same as the other players once it's established how goof they are. And PL salaries dwarf transfer fees.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 07 Jan 2013 13:03

Alexander Litvinenko Let's just hope none of these players need to be paid, eh?

Because even a bargain in transfer fees needs to be paid teh same as the other players once it's established how goof they are. And PL salaries dwarf transfer fees.

Which is a point I've made about letting Pearce go. In what dreamworld do Reading fans think we could replace him with a player of similar ability?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 13:14

of course we could.
we could even replace him with someone better
it might just cost us alot

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 07 Jan 2013 13:15

cmonurz
Alexander Litvinenko Let's just hope none of these players need to be paid, eh?

Which is a point I've made about letting Pearce go. In what dreamworld do Reading fans think we could replace him with a player of similar ability?

Agree on that - but it's a delicate balancing act. The club know that if they pay Pearce the extra money (say £5k a week more than the "going-rate" whatever that might be) they know that starting next week there'll be a queue of players and their agents outside Hammond's door demanding the same extra £5k a week.

And if they have to give it to ten players it's not the £260k a year that Pearce wants, it's £2.6M a year.....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jan 2013 13:22

Ideal
Wimb Oh good, we can get two Alan Bennetts for that £500k, or a Bennett and a Sodje :roll:

Now now, now now, how much did we pay for Carrico just now?
How much did we pay for Le Fondre?
How much was Ken Dodd and Kevin Doyle combined?

I'd love it if we signed 20 players for half a million each, distributes risk and represents future investment return. When you sign a £20M player there's no potential profit to be had, only potential loss.

We don't if Carrico is going to be any good. Le Fondre hasn't done enough as yet (he can't get a start at the moment) and we need to sign players better than that to compete at this level right now. That's why they tend to cost more money.

A squad full of £500k signings would almost certainly be relegated because instead of having a few players good enough, and a few that aren't, we'd have a squad full of players just not good enough. That's not really the direction the club should be taking.

As for no profit being available for £20m players, surely that depends on how good they are and if they improve whilst playing for you. If we could get Messi or Ronaldo for £20m, or if we'd signed Bale for £20m at 18 they'd all represent a decent profit despite massive original transfer fees.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jan 2013 13:35

Which a squad of 20 £500k players almost certainly wouldn't do anyway, but I was commenting on your [lack of] logic as opposed to anything else.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 15:43

i dont usually agree with ideal, but....

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 07 Jan 2013 16:07

It's the Reading Way.......

769 posts