Alex Pearce

769 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Alex Pearce

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jan 2013 16:19

Ideal
Hoop Blah Which a squad of 20 £500k players almost certainly wouldn't do anyway

Yeah, let's review how much our previously promoted squads cost us? Stick that up your pipe and smoke it.

Go on then, tell me how much we paid for McAnuff, Gorkss & Leigertwood then?

I'm not sure how much we paid for Roberts, but the implication is that he was more than a £500k player. Even Hunt cost us more than you price ceiling.

Without those key match winners, who have cost us more than your £500k, the best you'll realistically get from the rest is average as they're all just going to be average players in a squad of mediocrity.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Jan 2013 16:21

Indeed, not to mention the £1m Lita, 850k Convey, 700k Murty that helped us win promotion in 2006.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 16:33

Avon Royal It's the Reading Way.......

so dull

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 16:35

Hoop Blah
Ideal
Hoop Blah Which a squad of 20 £500k players almost certainly wouldn't do anyway

Yeah, let's review how much our previously promoted squads cost us? Stick that up your pipe and smoke it.

Go on then, tell me how much we paid for McAnuff, Gorkss & Leigertwood then?

I'm not sure how much we paid for Roberts, but the implication is that he was more than a £500k player. Even Hunt cost us more than you price ceiling.

Without those key match winners, who have cost us more than your £500k, the best you'll realistically get from the rest is average as they're all just going to be average players in a squad of mediocrity.

on average, the players in the 1st team playing squad were worth less than 500k each :wink:

and while convey may have cost 850 he was totally outshone by glen little
as the 1 million lita was outshone by kitson and doyle

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jan 2013 16:47

And that's my point.

Ideal said, and you agreed, that he'd rather have 20 £500k purchases and spread the risk around the squad than buy fewer players who cost more.

My point is that the squad needs to be built of different types who will ultimately cost different fees. It wasn't a matter of average cost.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 16:59

hence the wink

let's review how much our previously promoted squads cost us?

this is what i agreed with, not what you decided i did.

and i still think thet there isnt a massive difference between 500k and 700k tbf.
not in the way the spending was being argued.

and i never mentioned, or agreed with any cut off

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 07 Jan 2013 17:10

Ideal While the essence of the argument was that by overpaying Pearce we are wasting money we could be signing decent players for.

How decent exactly?

Back to my question, what do you think is we gain by saving that money? What talent are we going to bring in?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jan 2013 17:16

Ideal Yeah, Hoop Blah is constructing some kind of imaginary world where all the transfers have to be the same set fee, which isn't at all what the argument was about.
While the essence of the argument was that by overpaying Pearce we are wasting money we could be signing decent players for.

I wasn't the one who said they wanted to sign 20 players for £500k each to spread the risk.

I'm not sure what imaginary world you were trying to construct with these signings as opposed to the 2 or 3 more expensive players that the side is crying out for, but you're suggested policy of buying lots of average players only has one likely outcome.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jan 2013 17:19

melonhead hence the wink

let's review how much our previously promoted squads cost us?

this is what i agreed with, not what you decided i did.

and i still think thet there isnt a massive difference between 500k and 700k tbf.
not in the way the spending was being argued.

and i never mentioned, or agreed with any cut off

Fair enough. I took that as agreeing with the general point he was making about buying a squad load of average players.

Not really sure his statement was worth agreeing with if you weren't supporting his point. Do you just like working out random averages?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 17:30

not really sure what you arent getting tbf

i agreed with his general point that player price didnt have much to do with our first promotion.
our best players in all areas of the pitch were as a rule the cheaper ones.

if id had any interest in agreeing with some daft argument about 500k Vs 20 m players, id have quoted that post instead

but thanks again for your continued mis interest in my opinion

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 17:33

cmonurz
Ideal While the essence of the argument was that by overpaying Pearce we are wasting money we could be signing decent players for.

How decent exactly?

Back to my question, what do you think is we gain by saving that money? What talent are we going to bring in?

not really a case of us needing that money for other stuff, or spending it on another player etc

we assess player A's worth as X
player As agent asks for X + Y
instantly saying yes to that isnt the greatest idea since it means you will constantly be paying the entire squad more than you think they are worth/deserve
and if Y is seriously above what you are willing/able to go to, then its fair enough on both sides to let him go

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jan 2013 17:42

It's taken 18 months to two years for Morrison to get into the side. Can we afford to wait that long for the next signing to replace Pearce?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 17:57

Ideal
cmonurz what do you think is we gain by saving that money? What talent are we going to bring in?

I believe we paid around £300K for Morrison. He is clearly a better defender than Pearce.So obviously the answer is that for the £520K we could bring another Morrison. And for the total £1.8M talked about as the yearly wage expense, we could bring in six Morrisons.

Going by that type of calculation we shouldn't even be offering Pearce a new contract, he isn't anything extraordinary in terms of playing ability and could easily be replaced by a better, cheaper player.

back to disagreeing with him

theyre both decent, not much in it tbf

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jan 2013 17:59

Not sure how you can say which is better after only half a dozen appearances from one and less than a dozen from the other at this level.

Oh, hang on I've worked it out. It's because Ideal's a clueless div.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 Jan 2013 18:19

Ideal
I believe we paid around £300K for Morrison. He is clearly a better defender than Pearce.

Yeah, remind me who was playing when we were getting spanked every week and who's played the last 4 games where we've finally looked competitive? Not knocking Morrison, but he's not as good as Pearce...yet. Ideal on the other hand is a moron.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 07 Jan 2013 18:21

Morrison not as good as pearce now, but thankfully looks better than Pearce did at the same age which is promising for his future.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 07 Jan 2013 18:29

melonhead
Avon Royal It's the Reading Way.......

so dull

It certainly is..........

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Jan 2013 18:30

:|

do you have a script written that automatically just posts that every few hours?

if not id invest in one

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 07 Jan 2013 21:06

Ideal The fact that Ian Royal and Royalee are both taking a break from their daily wakn to post here is pretty much definitive proof that Pearce shouldn't be paid more.

:roll:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 08 Jan 2013 09:37

Should just send AZ's henchmen around with the contract and a pen.

769 posts