Creative/Attacking Midfielder

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

Creative/Attacking Midfielder

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Jan 2013 22:06

Firstly, Carrico looks like he will be a awesome signing, especially considering the fee we paid. We have been crying out for a quality holding midfielder.

Akpan ovbiously has potential and gives us more options, once again infront of the back 4

Main Concern, you could have guessed is the failure to bring in a creative/attacking midfielder. This has to be the priority surely!!?? Was hoping we would get all our business done before the West Brom game, but that seems unlikely now.

We have looked solid recently due to the change of formation and the protection it has given the back 4, i imagine Carrico and Akpan will also contribute to that, but we need someone to play off the striker if we are to continue down this route.

Only option is Guthrie and he is clearly a central midfielder. All the talk at the moment is linking us with strikers which seems strange now we will play 1 upfront and Pav and Alfie showing they are more than capable

If we dont invest in an established player to add creativity to our midfield i cant see any hope in staying up. Not that there is much anyway

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Creative/Attacking Midfielder

by winchester_royal » 09 Jan 2013 22:10

Like who? Within our price range and wage structure?

Aren't too many quality ''number 10's'" out there who could make an immediate impact at this level. That's why relatively unproven players like Siggy get paid the money they do.

I'm sure we're looking...but players like Michu don't grow on trees.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 09 Jan 2013 22:11

It's the 9th Jan. No need to fee worried (yet).

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Jan 2013 22:12

winchester_royal Like who? Within our price range and wage structure?

Aren't too many quality ''number 10's'" out there who could make an immediate impact at this level. That's why relatively unproven players like Siggy get paid the money they do.

Seeing as this is the most important position to strengthen we should be looking to invest a realistic fee to attract someone of decent quality, from abroad if need be. If they are willing to spend 5m+ then this is easily doable

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 09 Jan 2013 22:13

LoyalRoyal22 Firstly, Carrico looks like he will be a awesome signing, especially considering the fee we paid. We have been crying out for a quality holding midfielder.

Akpan ovbiously has potential and gives us more options, once again infront of the back 4

Main Concern, you could have guessed is the failure to bring in a creative/attacking midfielder. This has to be the priority surely!!?? Was hoping we would get all our business done before the West Brom game, but that seems unlikely now.

We have looked solid recently due to the change of formation and the protection it has given the back 4, i imagine Carrico and Akpan will also contribute to that, but we need someone to play off the striker if we are to continue down this route.

Only option is Guthrie and he is clearly a central midfielder. All the talk at the moment is linking us with strikers which seems strange now we will play 1 upfront and Pav and Alfie showing they are more than capable

If we dont invest in an established player to add creativity to our midfield i cant see any hope in staying up. Not that there is much anyway

I was really pleased with a good first, seemingly solid signing. I voiced my concern for Akpan, but after reading some fans views on here, I feel that maybe he could be nourished into a cracking player. I do agree with you though, yes we still have 22 days left of the transfer window, I do feel a creative attacking midfielder is exactly what we need. The sooner the better and I will be majorly disappointed if we do not buy this type of player. Hopefully we will buy someone with great awareness in midfield, and can successfully pass the bloody ball and/or keep possession.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Jan 2013 22:13

SPARTA It's the 9th Jan. No need to fee worried (yet).

I assumed we would have somebody lined up. Seeing as we have 2 Important games coming up(west brom/newcastle)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 09 Jan 2013 22:16

LoyalRoyal22

Seeing as this is the most important position to strengthen we should be looking to invest a realistic fee to attract someone of decent quality, from abroad if need be. If they are willing to spend 5m+ then this is easily doable

On wages around the 30k mark? Who would be willing to come to a team looking nailed on to be relegated? Who isn't being looked at by clubs more attractive than us who have greater financial clout? Who is good enough to make an immediate impact?

I wouldn't say there's anything 'easy' about finding a player meeting all of those criteria.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Jan 2013 22:19

winchester_royal
LoyalRoyal22

On wages around the 30k mark? Who would be willing to come to a team looking nailed on to be relegated? Who isn't being looked at by clubs more attractive than us who have greater financial clout? Who is good enough to make an immediate impact?

I wouldn't say there's anything 'easy' about finding a player meeting all of those criteria.

Well i am glad you are not part of our scouting network.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2013 22:24

But would it be better to have a championship quality one filling the role and at least giving us some more creativity and attacking presence through the middle? Or is it better to just pack the midfield with various versions of defensive midfielders (who may or may not be good enough either)?

I know which I'd rather see us do and which might give us a better starting point next season.

It's worth noting that one player who's good at passing isn't enough. Because unlike dribbling, tackling etc you actually need someone else to do something to do it. Someone who has good enough movement to find space and good enough technique to control the ball quickly and efficiently. So what we need is an improvement throughout the team for passing.

Currently, I'd rate our better passers, movers and controllers as Roberts, ALF, Shorey, Tabb, Kebe Robson-Kanu (apart from a dire appearance against Spurs) & Guthrie (although he's not doing as well as he should). So I'd like to see as many of those starting as we can fit into the system we're playing effectively. So Guthrie, Tabb, Kebe, Robson-Kanu and Shorey, with ALF first choice striker sub and Pog starting upfront on his own.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 09 Jan 2013 22:26

winchester_royal
LoyalRoyal22

A player from the bigger clubs playing reserves who can't quite get into first team, but still good quality player, like the reserves at Arsenal, Man U etc. A player like Conor Henderson, good player but not quite cracking first team at Arsenal, but good enough to play first team for us, within budget. Maybe?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Jan 2013 22:27

scott sinclair on loan

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Jan 2013 22:27

Yeh, if Shorey/Guthrie/Carrico start and we get someone creative to play behind the striker, we would have 4 players minimum that can pass and move

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 09 Jan 2013 22:27

LoyalRoyal22 Well i am glad you are not part of our scouting network.

I'm glad you're not part of our management.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 09 Jan 2013 22:30

Ian Royal

But would it be better to have a championship quality one filling the role and at least giving us some more creativity and attacking presence through the middle? Or is it better to just pack the midfield with various versions of defensive midfielders (who may or may not be good enough either)?

I know which I'd rather see us do and which might give us a better starting point next season.

It's worth noting that one player who's good at passing isn't enough. Because unlike dribbling, tackling etc you actually need someone else to do something to do it. Someone who has good enough movement to find space and good enough technique to control the ball quickly and efficiently. So what we need is an improvement throughout the team for passing.

Currently, I'd rate our better passers, movers and controllers as Roberts, ALF, Shorey, Tabb, Kebe Robson-Kanu (apart from a dire appearance against Spurs) & Guthrie (although he's not doing as well as he should). So I'd like to see as many of those starting as we can fit into the system we're playing effectively. So Guthrie, Tabb, Kebe, Robson-Kanu and Shorey, with ALF first choice striker sub and Pog starting upfront on his own.

I don't disagree.

I'm sure this was our reasoning behind trying to sign Rogic.

All I'm saying is that a lot of time and effort goes into finding a player and assessing his qualities/character etc..and it's not just about plugging 'CAM' into a search engine and seeing what pops up.

I'm positive they will be looking for a player in the Siggy role, if fact McDermott has said as much, but players of that ilk are highly sought after these days.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Jan 2013 22:32

winchester_royal

If you cant see this gaping weakness in our team, and dont feel this should be our priority, I question your judgement.

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 09 Jan 2013 22:36

Oh look, another thread about our midfield.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 09 Jan 2013 22:38

LoyalRoyal22
winchester_royal

If you cant see this gaping weakness in our team, and dont feel this should be our priority, I question your judgement.

Not sure where I said that :|

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 09 Jan 2013 23:52

I'd like us to try getting Dorrans. Failing that, Rogic will do for me, even if he doesn't play right away/in this season.

TheBaldOne

by TheBaldOne » 10 Jan 2013 01:56

Morten Gamst Pedersen anyone?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Jan 2013 04:22

Quite simple really but this is Hob Nob after all. Sign players that will make us a lot harder to beat. Stick to the tried and tested of last season and start nicking 1-0 wins.