Creative/Attacking Midfielder

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Creative/Attacking Midfielder

by Avon Royal » 10 Jan 2013 06:32

SPARTA It's the 9th Jan. No need to fee worried (yet).

Yeah, it's not as if we've played over half the season and have the grand total of 13 points - then we'd need to worry!

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Jan 2013 08:22

LoyalRoyal22
winchester_royal Like who? Within our price range and wage structure?

Aren't too many quality ''number 10's'" out there who could make an immediate impact at this level. That's why relatively unproven players like Siggy get paid the money they do.

I'm sure we're looking...but players like Michu don't grow on trees.

Seeing as this is the most important position to strengthen we should be looking to invest a realistic fee to attract someone of decent quality, from abroad if need be. If they are willing to spend 5m+ then this is easily doable

I'd say defensive midfield was more important - a replacement of Legs - than anything else and I think that's what was McD's priority at the moment.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 10 Jan 2013 10:01

I don't think we can afford to have an attacking midfielder, yet. Scrape wins, and stay in this division, then get an AM. 2 defensive midfielders (Carrico + Sunzu/Karacan) with Guthrie as a ball player in the middle would be alright imo.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Jan 2013 10:03

winchester_royal
LoyalRoyal22
winchester_royal Like who? Within our price range and wage structure?

Aren't too many quality ''number 10's'" out there who could make an immediate impact at this level. That's why relatively unproven players like Siggy get paid the money they do.

I'm sure we're looking...but players like Michu don't grow on trees.

Seeing as this is the most important position to strengthen we should be looking to invest a realistic fee to attract someone of decent quality, from abroad if need be. If they are willing to spend 5m+ then this is easily doable

On wages around the 30k mark? Who would be willing to come to a team looking nailed on to be relegated? Who isn't being looked at by clubs more attractive than us who have greater financial clout? Who is good enough to make an immediate impact?

I wouldn't say there's anything 'easy' about finding a player meeting all of those criteria.

almost impossible

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 10 Jan 2013 10:33

Hopefully this new signing from a Premier league club that we are supposed to be making, will be a attacking midfielder

Royal Toon

by Royal Toon » 10 Jan 2013 10:42

Anyone think we're signing all these defensive mids to relieve the likes of Guth and our widemen of some of their defensive duties? Seems like a pretty good plan to me - think we've got creativity in the team, only these players are currently relied upon to get back and defend for our lack of a solid, defensive midfield presence?

Just a thought. Think I'd take that as a Jan transfer window to be honest - would be great to give Guthrie a chance as our number 10?

Or am I stating the obvious/way off?!

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 10 Jan 2013 10:48

Royal Toon Anyone think we're signing all these defensive mids to relieve the likes of Guth and our widemen of some of their defensive duties? Seems like a pretty good plan to me - think we've got creativity in the team, only these players are currently relied upon to get back and defend for our lack of a solid, defensive midfield presence?

Just a thought. Think I'd take that as a Jan transfer window to be honest - would be great to give Guthrie a chance as our number 10?

Or am I stating the obvious/way off?!

I tend to agree. I don't think Guthrie would be a traditional number 10, but if we give him somewhat of a free reign in the midfield (box-to-box), i think he could provide some good link up play.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 10 Jan 2013 10:57

Personally I don't think it's really about individual players with Reading.

We need to change our style, keep possession of the ball better....hate to say it, but the way Rodgers was trying to get the team to play. :shock:

Having better players aswell helps of course............

Royal Toon

by Royal Toon » 10 Jan 2013 11:08

Gordons Cumming Personally I don't think it's really about individual players with Reading.

We need to change our style, keep possession of the ball better....hate to say it, but the way Rodgers was trying to get the team to play. :shock:

But perhaps that's what a solid, defensive midfielder or two would bring us? Someone to win the ball back for us/ for our defenders to pass to, to then feed our more creative players to do the business at the other end? At the moment, I think our creative players are having to double up with defensive duties - if we can relieve them of some of these, we might see a different style of play and less need for any hoofball?

Could be quite a good approach by McD if this is the plan?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 10 Jan 2013 11:46

Royal Toon
Gordons Cumming Personally I don't think it's really about individual players with Reading.

But perhaps that's what a solid, defensive midfielder or two would bring us? Someone to win the ball back for us/ for our defenders to pass to, to then feed our more creative players to do the business at the other end? At the moment, I think our creative players are having to double up with defensive duties - if we can relieve them of some of these, we might see a different style of play and less need for any hoofball?

Could be quite a good approach by McD if this is the plan?

I think the ethos needs to change.

Royal Toon

by Royal Toon » 10 Jan 2013 12:08

Yeah would be great to see us playing prettier football! I wonder how much we're being forced to play like we are, as a result of not having the right set up within the team though? As opposed to it being the desired tactic.

I think a defensive midfielder could be the best form of attack for us! We might see a different style of play if we have an unglamourous, no-nonsense rock in midfield to rely on.

Here's hoping (Caricco!?) anyway!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 10 Jan 2013 12:42

Avon Royal

Yeah, it's not as if we've played over half the season and have the grand total of 13 points - then we'd need to worry!

You really are a berk! No club finds it easy to bring players in in January, and we already have two, and one more rumoured in the next day or so. Clubs also over egg the prices, and some players want silly money, but we don't know until we speak to them. To assume we aren't making a big enough effort is idiotic to say the least.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 10 Jan 2013 13:21

SPARTA
Avon Royal

You really are a berk! No club finds it easy to bring players in in January, and we already have two, and one more rumoured in the next day or so. Clubs also over egg the prices, and some players want silly money, but we don't know until we speak to them. To assume we aren't making a big enough effort is idiotic to say the least.

In fairness, he hasn't assumed anything of the sort; he has merely responded to your assertion that there is no need to worry yet as it is only 9th Jan. He feels the need to be worried at this stage.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2013 17:25

Terminal Boardom Quite simple really but this is Hob Nob after all. Sign players that will make us a lot harder to beat. Stick to the tried and tested of last season and start nicking 1-0 wins.

Just FYI the tried and tested of last season saw us lose 7 PL games in a row and look a total shambles. Also tactics that work in the Championship, work a lot less well in the PL. As we've seen proved.

Mr.T10

by Mr.T10 » 10 Jan 2013 18:49

Ian Royal
Terminal Boardom Quite simple really but this is Hob Nob after all. Sign players that will make us a lot harder to beat. Stick to the tried and tested of last season and start nicking 1-0 wins.

Just FYI the tried and tested of last season saw us lose 7 PL games in a row and look a total shambles. Also tactics that work in the Championship, work a lot less well in the PL. As we've seen proved.

+1 to Ian Royal

If we had started off with the tactics against Man City/Swansea we would have been in a far prettier position... Look at Norwich they changed from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 in the first few games and they are "flying" now. We should have gone in the mentality of "we are not going to be beaten" unlike "we are gonna win this" attitude if we started off with the first one maybe the second would have followed. McDermott took to long to notice the obvious and we are in the shit because of it.

We need a CAM, Guthrie isn't it and if McDermott thinks he our long term CAM then oh god. He will do a job there but will not impress like a natural CAM would. So who do we look at? Personally don't have a name so relying on our scouts to do their job. I really hope we look more of European player than some BPL has been who is only attracted to us because we pay him a good retirement fund. I am very scared we are gonna do the latter because of McDermott's comments to the press.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 10 Jan 2013 21:00

Theres two young greek playmakers who would be good signings. Fetzafidis, cant remember the orher lads name.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Jan 2013 21:23

loyalroyal4life scott sinclair on loan

He's neither creative nor an attacking midfielder though :|

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 10 Jan 2013 21:27

TheSiege
Ideal I'd like to see us sign Per Ciljan Skjelbreid. Unfortunately it seems Norwich are in for him, and well, I guess we're not - which sucks.

We've looked at this lad before. Do we not keep tabs on the players previously scouted?

Do you ever listen to Brian after he signs someone? :roll:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 10 Jan 2013 21:36

SPARTA
TheSiege
Ideal I'd like to see us sign Per Ciljan Skjelbreid. Unfortunately it seems Norwich are in for him, and well, I guess we're not - which sucks.

We've looked at this lad before. Do we not keep tabs on the players previously scouted?

Do you ever listen to Brian after he signs someone? :roll:

Something about there DNA and the `Reading way`

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 10 Jan 2013 21:48

What about Church Long Cox?

You know what those Catholic priests are like..