The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

1445 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

by Ian Royal » 13 Jan 2013 22:03

cmonurz Exactly, Dirk.

Feds' form has been getting better and better but in this instance he got it wrong. Narrow the angle and you leave Lukaku one option - and if the striker buries it in the far corner then fair enough, it's a quality finish. As it happened, Lukaku had two corners to aim at, and the near post was the easier finish.

He didn't have time to narrow the angle, Lukaku should have been no threat, but the second he cut inside because Mariappa let him, he shot and Feds was caught out by it. He guessed far post, shifted his weight, realised his mistake and couldn't get down in time to stop it.

I'm not saying he's faultless, he should still really have saved it. But the shot should never have been allowed to happen in the first place. You can't stand off a striker and make no effort to commit them away down the wing, it's just terrible defending.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 14 Jan 2013 09:14

Ideal
RockheadRumple You've never even seen Andersen play you f/cking wally. Shut your useless trap.

Nobody mentioned Andersen, you 2p rentboy!
We were referring to the performance of Matt Duke v Aston Villa. He plays for Bradford.

Hope this helps, f/ck off and learn how to read.

I very rarely bother reading your previous posts, but even the point about Duke is a silly one. He's on some of the best form of his life, but there's a reason he's still in League 2.

Hint: It's because he isn't as good as Premier League keepers. Feds included.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 14 Jan 2013 20:00

Ideal I disagree, I think feds is at best a league two or league one level keeper, and having such a poor keeper is going to prove costly for us.
Had we got a better keeper that could make the difference between relegation and staying up.
He's already cost us something like 6 points, which would have seen us at what, 22 points? Would we be in the bottom three with that? Oh, right.

You clearly like to talk our of your backside...

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 14 Jan 2013 20:14

Ideal
Ian Royal Lukaku should have been no threat, but the second he cut inside because Mariappa let him, he shot and Feds was caught out by it....the shot should never have been allowed to happe

Ok, so you are creating an imaginary world where the goalkeepers job is what exactly?
You are laying down premises for debate where the defenders should stop everything.

What is the goalkeepers job? To stop the ball from going in the net, if or when it should come his way.

If defenders always stopped every single attack, there would be no need for a goalkeeper, would there? We could then stick either of Royal Blue's sons in goal and it wouldn't matter.

Have you ever played football? Do you know anything about the game?
As a central defender myself, you can't just let people shoot, and that's coming from a 35 year old southern amateur league division six player (I used to be good!). Mapps has been great lately, but gave Lakuku too much space. If he'd been closer, there would have been no room for a shot at all 'narrowing the angles'.
If that had been me, and the forward had scored, our 'keeper would have had a right go at me too.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Jan 2013 20:50

marcusopp
Ideal
Ian Royal Lukaku should have been no threat, but the second he cut inside because Mariappa let him, he shot and Feds was caught out by it....the shot should never have been allowed to happe

Ok, so you are creating an imaginary world where the goalkeepers job is what exactly?
You are laying down premises for debate where the defenders should stop everything.

What is the goalkeepers job? To stop the ball from going in the net, if or when it should come his way.

If defenders always stopped every single attack, there would be no need for a goalkeeper, would there? We could then stick either of Royal Blue's sons in goal and it wouldn't matter.

Have you ever played football? Do you know anything about the game?
As a central defender myself, you can't just let people shoot, and that's coming from a 35 year old southern amateur league division six player (I used to be good!). Mapps has been great lately, but gave Lakuku too much space. If he'd been closer, there would have been no room for a shot at all 'narrowing the angles'.
If that had been me, and the forward had scored, our 'keeper would have had a right go at me too.

I am going out on a limb here but I seriously doubt there is anyone in southern amateur league division 6 quite as good as Lukaku
:shock:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 14 Jan 2013 21:07

Hoping Alex McCarthy will get a recall once back from injury

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jan 2013 21:07

I reckon marcusopp probably isn't saying he's Mariappa's quality.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Jan 2013 21:43

Ian Royal I reckon marcusopp probably isn't saying he's Mariappa's quality.

"If that had been me" suggest he is saying just that

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jan 2013 22:30

bcubed

Don't be bloody daft. It's a comparative quality. Defenders and Attackers are mostly of PL quality in the PL. In the whatever shitbiscuit league he was talking about they're also both of similar levels of quality, just much much much lower than in the PL. Or League Two for that matter.

The fundamentals of defending remain the same no matter what level you're at, if you stand off and invite an attacker to pick where they go and when they want to shoot, you've done a shit job.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Jan 2013 08:03

Ian Royal
bcubed

Don't be bloody daft. It's a comparative quality. Defenders and Attackers are mostly of PL quality in the PL. In the whatever shitbiscuit league he was talking about they're also both of similar levels of quality, just much much much lower than in the PL. Or League Two for that matter.

The fundamentals of defending remain the same no matter what level you're at, if you stand off and invite an attacker to pick where they go and when they want to shoot, you've done a shit job.

Er no
Premier league strikers and Lukaku in particular hit the ball quicker and cleaner than championship strikers and ten times more so than whatever league he was talking about. Ergo you have much more time in that league and comparisons are ludicrous
Mariappa was outdone by his sheer class and didnt do much wrong

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jan 2013 11:49

:lol:

Out done by sheer class? What exactly did Lukaku do other than strike a strong shot quickly?

P...........P
......GK

........................M
...........................L

This is what should have happened.

This is what actually happened.

P...........P
.....GK

.........................M

That, is poor defending at any level.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 15 Jan 2013 11:56

But if this had been his positioning then there'd have been no space at the near P for L to aim at.

P...........P
..........GK

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Jan 2013 12:54

Ian Royal :lol:

Out done by sheer class? What exactly did Lukaku do other than strike a strong shot quickly?

P...........P
......GK

........................M

This is what should have happened.

This is what actually happened.

P...........P
.....GK

That, is poor defending at any level.

you got it in one
I think you'll find its the secret to beating a keeper - he hit it before Feds expected

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Jan 2013 17:21

Ideal Just what is Federici's job then?
If he's standing about thinking that there'll never be a shot in a million years, then he's not doing his oxf*rd job!

It's the absolutely most essential thing of goalkeeping, you've got to expect that there could be a shot at any oxf*rd moment!!!
If you do not understand that, then you certainly do not understand much!

A shot taken quickly with minimal backlift can catch a goalkeeper off guard
Ask Thierry Henry - he had a lot of success with that

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jan 2013 18:04

Alexander Litvinenko But if this had been his positioning then there'd have been no space at the near P for L to aim at.

P...........P
..........GK

:| And Lukaku'd have just bent it in at the far post with ease because there'd be a massive gap there. He wasn't nearly close enough to the goal or wide enough for Fed to stand near post and saying different is stupidity. If you'll look closely I did have Fed marginly closer to his near post in the "how it should have looked" version.
bcubed

you got it in one
I think you'll find its the secret to beating a keeper - he hit it before Feds expected

Which has precisely what to do with Mariappa not having done anything wrong? That's something to excuse Federici, who you've argued was at fault. Christ you can't even get your own argument right, let alone get why you're wrong.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 15 Jan 2013 18:17

Ian Royal
Alexander Litvinenko But if this had been his positioning then there'd have been no space at the near P for L to aim at.

P...........P
..........GK

:| And Lukaku'd have just bent it in at the far post with ease because there'd be a massive gap there. He wasn't nearly close enough to the goal or wide enough for Fed to stand near post and saying different is stupidity. If you'll look closely I did have Fed marginly closer to his near post in the "how it should have looked" version.

I can't see any situation in which leaving a striker gaps on both sides of the keeper - i.e. two options - is better than leaving just one, even if that does mean that the one option is slightly larger.

Because from where he was, 3/4 of the way across the goal, Lukaku could still have easily bent it in at the far post - if he really was trying to cover both posts he was just in a no mans' land covering neither where he was. It is a long-term vulnerability that he always seems to have had - being beaten at his near post more times that you'd maybe expect.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Jan 2013 20:29

Ian Royal

P...........P
..........GK

bcubed

you got it in one

Which has precisely what to do with Mariappa not having done anything wrong? That's something to excuse Federici, who you've argued was at fault. Christ you can't even get your own argument right, let alone get why you're wrong.

And where exactly did I argue Feds was at fault?
The fact he got his shot away quickly meant Mariappa did not have as much time to close him down as he would if he was playing in amateur division 6. That was my point. Obviously that also means he was likely to beat the keeper as well.
Try to keep up and why do you feel the need to blaspheme?!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jan 2013 20:34

It's a pretty common exclamation. And I do hold the idea of a deity in quite a lot of contempt, so blasphemy fits.

I'll take note of Dirk's suggestion though.. Keeper's should always stand against one post so they only have to dive one way and strikers only have one side of them to aim at, no matter where the striker is. I don't know why no one's doing it. It can't possibly fail.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 16 Jan 2013 13:05

The poorly executed sarcasm and apparent misunderstanding doesn't disguise the fundamental point - leave a gap between yourself and the near post and it's likely to be exploited. Don't leave a gap and there' one fewer option for an attacker to expoilt.

But don't take my word for it : Peter Shiton starts this training video by saying that that "narrowing the angle is the most important aspect of goalkeeping"

[url=Goalkeeper Training: Narrowing the Angle w/Peter Shilton]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR9ckVj6P4k[/url]

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 16 Jan 2013 13:57

You guys are stupid.

Quite simply, Mapps should have tightened up on Lukaku and Feds should have reduced Lukaku's options to one. Both at fault. Mapps may as well have been Lukaku's jogging partner, and Feds could have presented more choice only by squat jumping into a small limbless orb in the centre of the goal.

Only the tragically lonely could spin this legless shit into a protracted conversation with f/cking diagrams.

1445 posts