1559 posts
SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: Portsmouth fc

by SPARTA » 15 Jan 2013 17:56

buzzby
SPARTA
soggy biscuit Mustapha Dumbuya, Jon Harley, Brian Howard, Lubomir Michalik, Luke Rodgers and Lee Williamson all leave as their contracts expire

This is better than any soap opera.

The 10 point deduction can't be far away now either.

Is this today? Or the same lot that left last week?

Looks like today.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... -at-Pompey

Portsmouth have confirmed the immediate release of six players as they continue to cut costs.

Captain Brian Howard, defenders Mustapha Dumbuya, Jon Harley and Lubomir Michalik, midfielder Lee Williamson and striker Luke Rodgers have all left Fratton Park at the end of their contracts.

Caretaker boss Guy Whittingham told the club website: "Some of these players might have been expecting it, but it wasn't nice news to deliver.

"We thank them for their efforts while they were here and wish them all the best for the future."

The club have also lost striker Paul Benson after he went back to Swindon at the end of his loan spell.

It means Whittingham now has a first-team squad of 13 players to work with ahead of Saturday's trip to Scunthorpe.

:lol:

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 15 Jan 2013 18:18

It literally is LOVELY STUFF

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 15 Jan 2013 19:01

As one of their old managers likes to say...down to the bare bones. Time to start playing the kids and let the humiliating hammerings commence.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 15 Jan 2013 20:19

Music to my ears as Im sat on a spread bet sell of Pompey's season points.

Royalist

by Royalist » 16 Jan 2013 15:43

The players released are all mostly very good league one players so if they cannot win with them they are indeed in trouble. Willamson was one of the top goalscorers last year!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 16 Jan 2013 17:27

Mr Optimist Time to start playing the kids and let the humiliating hammerings commence.

They should have done this from the start of the season instead of signing a "competitive team" using money they didn't have. They were likely to get relegated anyway with the 10 pt deduction, now they have pissed away this year's parachute payment on these pisspoor players and administrator fees. Still I suppose that's better than giving it to the creditors.

buzzby
Hob Nob Regular

by buzzby » 16 Jan 2013 20:11

Ideal They should have been playing kids and trying to run a profit so they could try and have some money to throw at their massive debts.
But they probably thought they could get promoted. Idiots.

Thats exactly what they thought.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 18 Jan 2013 12:26

PieEater
Mr Optimist Time to start playing the kids and let the humiliating hammerings commence.

They should have done this from the start of the season instead of signing a "competitive team" using money they didn't have. They were likely to get relegated anyway with the 10 pt deduction, now they have pissed away this year's parachute payment on these pisspoor players and administrator fees. Still I suppose that's better than giving it to the creditors.

Indeed, that is very much what I was saying to my Pompey supporting mates. A fair few would have agreed with that assessment in fairness...but there will always be a number amongst any group of fans who are too short sighted and can't see past the next few games. I can't help but think that if we were in a similar boat there would be a large minority of our fans complaining about the lack of investment in the playing squad.....

Still as I also say to them (which is less popular in these parts), They bought the FA cup and now they are paying for it....

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 18 Jan 2013 15:00

Just put £200 on them to get relegated, at a 10% return this seems like a shrew investment. When they come out of admin they will 14 points adrfit of safety.

I would put more, but then i need some disposable income for a fortnight, when i get paid, when i reckon i'll dump a load more on.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jan 2013 15:08

Greatwesternline a shrew investment

:lol:

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 18 Jan 2013 15:52

Shrew's have been giving me financial advice for years, they're like owls, but more wise. :wink:

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 18 Jan 2013 16:34

Greatwesternline Shrew's have been giving me financial advice for years, they're like owls, but more wise. :wink:

:D

Much better than the weasels and stoats

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 18 Jan 2013 17:56

Nomad_Royal Much better than the weasels and stoats

It was the Weasels that got Pompey into this shoite in the first place...and 'Arry. :lol:

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 21 Jan 2013 15:29

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21121539

Staff at beleaguered Portsmouth have been told they face a further pay cut as the club looks to stave off liquidation.
The club are £61m in debt and have been in administration since 17 February.

In 2012, administrators PKF made around 40 staff redundant while also allowing all of their senior players to leave. "As part of our ongoing efforts to restructure the club's costs, we have asked staff to take a further pay cut," said administrator Trevor Birch.

The staff in question - which does not include players - have already seen their wages cut several times in the past 12 months, but are expected to be forced to accept a further 10% reduction.

"We appreciate that these measures are very painful for those involved," Birch added. "But we are still in a critical condition and wouldn't be undertaking them if they weren't necessary. We thank the staff for their continuing loyalty and commitment in what is a stressful time for all concerned."

Wonder if the Administrators are taking a cut in their fees?

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 21 Jan 2013 15:37

wolsey The staff in question - which does not include players - have already seen their wages cut several times in the past 12 months, but are expected to be forced to accept a further 10% reduction.

Hitting the high earners at the club hard, clearly.

Royalist

by Royalist » 21 Jan 2013 16:45

Cannot find the tweets now but remember seeing someone who works at a 5 star hotel claiming Portsmouth stayed in the highest priced rooms this year. If they really was skint you'd of thought they'd of been on a bit of a budget when jobs are at stake!

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 21 Jan 2013 22:39

Greatwesternline Just put £200 on them to get relegated, at a 10% return this seems like a shrew investment. When they come out of admin they will 14 points adrfit of safety.

I would put more, but then i need some disposable income for a fortnight, when i get paid, when i reckon i'll dump a load more on.

Do you get your stake back if they are wound up and don't finish the season?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Jan 2013 00:17

Royalist Cannot find the tweets now but remember seeing someone who works at a 5 star hotel claiming Portsmouth stayed in the highest priced rooms this year. If they really was skint you'd of thought they'd of been on a bit of a budget when jobs are at stake!

And have the precious darlings stay in a Travelodge or Premier Inn? Bollocks that. Make the players drive to the games in their flash motors. Talk about death by a thousand cuts.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 22 Jan 2013 09:30

Once were Biscuitmen
Greatwesternline Just put £200 on them to get relegated, at a 10% return this seems like a shrew investment. When they come out of admin they will 14 points adrfit of safety.

Think that depends on where you placed the bet. Pretty sure Betfair rules are that teams that fail to finish the season are deemed to have been relegated.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Jan 2013 11:12

Once were Biscuitmen

Next month they'll be able to celebrate a year in Administration as well.

1559 posts