The Non - League thread

10749 posts
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Non - League thread 2012/13

by Alan Partridge » 15 Jan 2013 22:45

Despite it being farking freezing, enjoyed Diddy's 3-0 win tonight. a few new players in this week has really helped the team and Marco was immense in the sticks tonight after an indifferent run of form. In his words 'i never play in something likes this before' Don't get many partially frozen pitches in Brazil :mrgreen:

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 16 Jan 2013 00:44

Alan Partridge Despite it being farking freezing, enjoyed Diddy's 3-0 win tonight. a few new players in this week has really helped the team and Marco was immense in the sticks tonight after an indifferent run of form. In his words 'i never play in something likes this before' Don't get many partially frozen pitches in Brazil :mrgreen:

... well having seen him a month or so back vs Paulton his handling is probably no worse in freezing condition than it was in torrential rain? :?

I braved the cold and popped along the A329(M) to the Hellenic Supplementary (Losers) Cup tie at Larges Lane : Bracknell Town 4-6 Headington Amateurs.

The two meet again at Barton village this Saturday in the league.

My first, second and third choices were all called off this PM - incl Wantage v Marlow which had the potential to be a cracker. :(

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Jan 2013 09:54

Massive bundle at a Slough Town Reserve game...

FOUR players were taken to hospital after a violent brawl erupted during a Slough Town Football Club clash.

Thames Valley Police confirmed they are investigating the incident which left one player requiring surgery to repair a fractured jaw.

The bust-up took place towards the end of a Hellenic League Division Two East match between Slough Town's reserves team and Easington Sports reserves on Saturday.

Police were called to Farnham Park Playing Fields, in Beaconsfield Road, Slough at 3.51pm.

Three Easington players were taken to Wexham Park Hospital with facial injuries, with another rushed to Northwick Park Hospital, in Middlesex, for surgery on a suspected broken jaw. He has since been discharged

Slough Town's Chairman's statement...

http://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/sport/f ... -fc-brawl/
Steve Easterbrook, chairman of Slough Town issued an official statement in response to the incident.

He said: "A very unfortunate incident happened in the 80th minute following a foul on a Slough Town player.

"Regrettably, a fight broke out between both sets of players in which a number of players both sides sustained injuries that required treatment.

"My understanding is that the match referee sent off two players from both teams before the game reconvened to a conclusion.

"I was not at the game and am still talking to people who attended. It is a very difficult situation."

Easterbrook continued: "It is the last thing any football club wants to happen, it's such a shame for us and Easington Sports.

"Invariably something has happened during the contest that created this situation, it sparked something that resulted in players fighting. These things do occasionally happen in football.

"It is a very unfortunate and regrettable incident and I would like to think the opposition regret it as well."

Easington Sports' statement
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/easingtonsports/news/club-statement-on-reserve-team-832819.html
Due to the increased contact for a comment on the incident that took place in the Reserve team fixture between Slough Town and Easington Sports please find below our comments.

Several Easington Sports Reserve players were attacked during a game on Saturday 12th January. This left 4 players requiring hospital treatment in Slough. Two players have broken jaws and both require operations to reset the jaws and also have metal plates added, one of those affected has had this operation and is being released from hospital today and the other operation is expected today. The other two players were released after sustaining concussion and also severe bruising to the face.

Contrary to the reports circulating in the media Easington would like to state the incident was not caused by a foul on a Slough player, it was the result of a red card received by a Slough player for violent conduct and as the player left the field of play an unprovoked attack on an Easington player was carried out. This caused the following incident that left several Easington players injured.

There are also several other incorrect details being included in reports, which at this time we will not comment on. We are sure that the correct details will be released in due course.

Our main concern is with the two players that required surgery and their welfare.

The police are continuing their enquiries and we are helping them with those and until this is completed, we will not be able to make any further comment.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 16 Jan 2013 10:13

Four Of Clubs
Alan Partridge Despite it being farking freezing, enjoyed Diddy's 3-0 win tonight. a few new players in this week has really helped the team and Marco was immense in the sticks tonight after an indifferent run of form. In his words 'i never play in something likes this before' Don't get many partially frozen pitches in Brazil :mrgreen:

... well having seen him a month or so back vs Paulton his handling is probably no worse in freezing condition than it was in torrential rain? :?

I braved the cold and popped along the A329(M) to the Hellenic Supplementary (Losers) Cup tie at Larges Lane : Bracknell Town 4-6 Headington Amateurs.

The two meet again at Barton village this Saturday in the league.

My first, second and third choices were all called off this PM - incl Wantage v Marlow which had the potential to be a cracker. :(

He was excellent, made 3 good saves but his handling from corners was superb, pro standard last night to be honest. At 0-0 he made a great save low down, corner swung in, he caught it beyond the penalty spot, side volley launch down field, defender slipped and Diddy went 1-0 up.

Apparently Marco's been a bit inconsistent recently but I think this is all a bit of a culture shock for him to say the least! don't think he's used to playing a) in these conditions and b)the volume of games. He's a class act though and properly coached could play loads higher.

Royalist

by Royalist » 16 Jan 2013 15:42

Still no mention on Slough forum! Odd! I see it is the main story for bbc berkshire! Shocking but i've seen first hand stuff going on in the ressie leagues of decent sized NL clubs that the players would never get away with in the first teams!

Frozen pitches ahoy this weekend!

Royalist

by Royalist » 17 Jan 2013 11:12

http://www.windsorexpress.co.uk/Sport/F ... 012013.htm

Windsor FC looking at moving games back to Tuesday nights as some players are playing Saturday, Sunday and then Monday! :shock: :wink:

Was set up for a different mentality at Windsor and the club has now moved on. A shame it didn't work out but the area has just too many clubs and too few football fans who'll bother going to games.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Jan 2013 20:21

Sorry, I'm not with you.

Why would the ratio of clubs to football fans in the area have a bearing on whether Monday or Tuesday night is more viable at Stag Meadow?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Jan 2013 20:48

I read that Newport IOW have permission to move to a new ground. ASDA taking over St Georges. Got fond memories of that place and crazy moving out as not long been there!

If I won a considerable sum of money I would buy this club! Sleeping giant and what would be a decent fan base.

Royalist

by Royalist » 17 Jan 2013 20:53

One of the reasons the club moved to Monday nights was to see if the crowds would improve. There is fewer games played on a Monday night so any 'neutral' fans or locals who watch League sides will have a evening free. Applaud any club that does anything to bring in more fans a go but it didn't really pay off.

As for Newport IOW pretty sure i went there on a Tuesday night after attempting to get their for a Saturday game that got called off! :lol: Do love the fact its only in NL that English clubs have to play a league game over seas!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Jan 2013 21:13

Ok, so nothing to do with the number of clubs / football fans in the area?

Actually the justification for moving to Monday nights was that it would not clash with European nights (and hopefully, as a result, improve the gates).

I've done a bit of research on this in the past and whilst it's hardly conclusive (weather could play a part as could the attractiveness of the Sky MNF games, the team's position in the league etc.) indications were that the crowds were in fact greater for a Monday game than they had been for Tuesday games.

If there are one or two playing Sundays then I guess it makes sense to move back to Tuesdays. The team certainly didn't look as sharp as usual during Monday's game against Chessie. Playing 3 games in 3 days will do that to you I suppose.

Royalist

by Royalist » 18 Jan 2013 07:04

Royal Rother Ok, so nothing to do with the number of clubs / football fans in the area?

Actually the justification for moving to Monday nights was that it would not clash with European nights (and hopefully, as a result, improve the gates).

It has everything to do with number of fans in the area. Too few spread over alot of clubs. Moving to a Monday night plan was to set it off as different to the dozens of clubs playing on a Tuesday so you'd get more groundhoppers or people who just fancied a game on a Monday night or people who are watching Champions league on Tuesdays or going to watch their league club alot of the time.

Not suggesting fewer clubs by the way its just apart from FA Cup runs and free gates on a boxing day the crowds won't rise much at any of the local NL clubs.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 18 Jan 2013 13:16

Royalist
Royal Rother Ok, so nothing to do with the number of clubs / football fans in the area?

Moving to a Monday night plan was to set it off as different to the dozens of clubs playing on a Tuesday so you'd get more groundhoppers or people who just fancied a game on a Monday night or people who are watching Champions league on Tuesdays or going to watch their league club alot of the time.

tbf a few other local 'NL' clubs have dabbled with Monday night football. Binfield still play their MW matches on Mondays as do Highmoor/IBIS & Hungerford.

Beaconsfield SYCOB also play on Mondays but they groundshare with Sluff so thats another factor. Burnham have tried it before too.

As suggested there are a quite a number of clubs in the area jostling for a similar fanbase - particularly amongst those who'd be classed as the 'occasional visitors' or interested neutrals.

Personally, I like clubs playing locally on a Monday, as I can usually get out w/o much domestic turmoil. I often suffer a bit of dithering on a Tuesday deciding where to go when everybody is playing.

Besides - with the glut of postponements this season, there every likeliehood that clubs will have to play multiple fixtures across Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed (and even Thu!) just to overcome a backlog; or end up playing half a dozen games or more in mid-late May.

In recent memory Warlingham (nr Croydon) in CCL1 had to fulfill about 10 fixtures in May. Little wonder they've moved in with Whyteleafe to give themselves a better chance of finishing their season on time. Their original ground had two rivers running under their pitch so no wonder they had difficulties. :shock:

PS Expect my weekly NL Preview will be severly curtailed - a number of Saturdays FA Vase ties were postponed early yesterday anticipating this lot.

Will post what's left tomorrow - but would not expect anyone will be travelling anywhere for NL football tomorrow. :(

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 18 Jan 2013 19:24

paultheroyal I read that Newport IOW have permission to move to a new ground. ASDA taking over St Georges. Got fond memories of that place and crazy moving out as not long been there!

If I won a considerable sum of money I would buy this club! Sleeping giant and what would be a decent fan base.

St George's is a nice ground though a bit out of town. The Port could be one of the few clubs in history to sell two grounds to supermarkets.

Think they have been there only 15-20 years maximum

blindedbythelights

by blindedbythelights » 18 Jan 2013 19:25

Worlds most pointless pitch inspection, 9am, Basingtoke Town tomorrow

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Jan 2013 23:41

Almost the entire Rymans League programme has already been called off. Maybe the odd game by the coast might survive, but with temperatures not forecast to get above freezing tomorrow, it's probably not even worth bothering to try to clear the pitch at most grounds.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 19 Jan 2013 10:11

blindedbythelights Worlds most pointless pitch inspection, 9am, Basingtoke Town tomorrow

...indeed was declared OFF about 1/2 hr ago on their Forum.

Only games within our usual 'local' range not showing 'OFF' yet are in the SL (and, strangely standing out somewhat: Wokkers v Flackwell @ Larges Lane in the Hellenic Prem.)

EDIT: someone's evidently woken up - now showing as postponed.

I'm assuming its just a matter of time and communication - every individual clubsite I've checked in the SL is showing games OFF but its not filtered through to the main League site yet.

Will only post again should any really be going ahead around here - but it just started snowing again a few mins ago - and it looks as if there's a lot more 'up there' ? :?

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 19 Jan 2013 12:48

paultheroyal I read that Newport IOW have permission to move to a new ground. ASDA taking over St Georges. Got fond memories of that place and crazy moving out as not long been there!

My understanding from the IOW county press is that Asda don't want the football club site, they have another one lined up....but that Newport want Asda to buy their site and have made counter proposals.

edit- here is the link - http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/asda-re ... um=twitter

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 19 Jan 2013 14:21

I had thought of going to Dulwich Hamlet v Maidstone after it was passed OK after a morning pitch inspection. Just as well I didn't as the match referee called the game off at 1.35.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Jan 2013 17:43

How the hell did Salisbury get there game on?

Royalist

by Royalist » 19 Jan 2013 22:38

I know it sounds odd but the snow actually stops the pitch from freezing. If you can get the snow off you have a chance! Have helped clear snow off of Stag Meadow in the distant past and it's quite surprising what a pitch can take and what can pass a pitch inspection!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7MN9hTTlTw This never fails to make me laugh! Ex Windsor And Eton Manager Dennis Greene with a novel idea of fighting off a frozen pitch! :mrgreen:

10749 posts