Back from the Game/pub/computer: Newcastle

JordCot

Re: Back from the Game/pub/computer: Newcastle

by JordCot » 19 Jan 2013 19:37

McAnuff did a lot better than I thought he would in the centre and one thing he did quite well was make good supporting runs off Pog so that he didn't have to drift quite so wide as usual. Guthrie isn't mobile enough to support Pog playing off the striker in the counter attacking way we play but looks when dropped back to a normal CM role. While not the most spectacular Jobi starts because he provides a lot of defensive help to our LB's and had they not been playing Ameobi on the wing Harte may have been more exposed

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2013 19:40

Franchise FC
Franchise FC
Franchise FC West Brom have turned up at last

Twice !!

Bugger

Gained 2 points on Villa, 2 points on QPR, 3 points on Wigan, 3 points on Newcastle. Possibly points on Saints too.

That'll do nicely for one week. Hopefully they won't claw it back in the next round of games. I think it's a bit unlikely we'll pick up points about Chelsea. But fingers crossed.

The Royal

by The Royal » 19 Jan 2013 19:46

While we are playing Chelsea, villa will be at Newcastle, QPR against city, Wigan away to stoke and Southampton away to united.
Hard to see us getting any points, but not likely for the teams around us either
Last edited by The Royal on 19 Jan 2013 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 19 Jan 2013 19:47

Great, great day! Not only did we pick up our first point at St. James Park we got our first ever win. We significantly helped our survival chances.

Great team effort. Feds came up HUGE for us, my MotM. Our super sub Alf delivered twice. Kelly looked very good. Legs had a huge game and if it weren't for Feds he would have been the MotM. Great game again from Kebe. Akpan looks like he will be a very good player for us judging by his first impression. Heads never dropped after we went behind and picked up a massive, and a bit unexpected, 3 points.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 19 Jan 2013 19:48

The Royal While we are at Chelsea, villa will be at Newcastle, QPR against city, Wigan away to stoke and Southampton away to united.
Hard to see us getting any points, but not likely for the teams around us either

We will be at home though...

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 19 Jan 2013 20:03

Who was it recently who said ALF stands for Average Little Forward?!

Now, you guys up in Newcastle, which pubs you all in cos I could do with a celebration!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2013 20:06

ALF has equalled Lita as our 5th highest PL goalscorer. Another goal and he moves up to 3rd, joint with Hunt and Harper - assuming my counting is correct.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 19 Jan 2013 20:07

Just seen Ledge & Jobi as they are checked into the same hotel as us in Newcastle.

Absolutely buzzing, great win & full of praise for Le Fondre. Fantastic away support today and a big night out on the toon ahead for many!

Oooohhhhh Adam Le Fondreeeee

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 19 Jan 2013 20:13

The Royal While we are playing Chelsea, villa will be at Newcastle, QPR against city, Wigan away to stoke and Southampton away to united.

I think either (or both) of Villa and Newcastle will get points.
I'm prepared to bet my house and family on it.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 19 Jan 2013 20:16

Full rerun of the game at 825 on Sky Sports 2 - game of the day

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 19 Jan 2013 20:18

To the travelling fans today, I salute every one of you.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Jan 2013 20:22

Ian Royal
Second half, I wasn't sure he got the subs exactly right, but it paid off and we took advantage of Federici's brilliance and Newcastle's profligacy in front of goal, as well as their significantly weakened midfield.

Federici - 9 he's really back in form. Some great stops.
Kelly - 7 good debut, don't remember him getting a great deal wrong - played Cabaye on first half is about all.
Harte - 7 similar to Kelly, apart from the debut bit, think he also played someone on first half.
Pearce - 8 very intelligent player, I fooking love him
Mariappa - 7 lost Cisse a couple of times, but generally good
Leigertwood - 8 best game in ages, didn't lose it much, played it simple and put in some superb balls to Kebe.
Guthrie - 7 some very good balls. Again, this could just be a case of finding it hard to pick out the good stuff he does as its early in a move and deep. That's much easier to see live.
Kebe - 9 MOTM was a real threat all game. Struggled to find the killer pass / shot / run a lot of the time, but delivered enough to make the difference. Assist for goal one and the knock down for goal 2. He's turned into a target man!
McAnuff - 7 becoming the usual quiet game from McAnuff. Not a lot of threat, though unlucky to be called off first half. Some very good defending back late on.
McCleary - 6.5 worried Newcastle a bit but went off early seemingly with an injury. Didn't do any real damage
Pog - 7.5 worked hard feeding off scraps all game. snatched at a couple of shots, but leads the line well

ALF - 9 I fooking love ALF.
Akpan - 7 great assist for ALF's second - with a bit of work could be Leigertwood 2.5. A promising debut

McDermott - 7.5, not sure he got it completely, right, but we won, so wtf do I know.
Ref - 7 didn't get much wrong at all.
Reading fans - 10. big respec' to yous.

At last some player ratings on a BFTG thread - thanks Ian.

Reasonable analysis and ratings. Will give my opinion anyway.

Feds- 9 immense. This is why he's number one.
Kelly 7.5 a very solid performance,made a world of difference to our back four. Good forward and in defence. Very good signing. Their goal was a set piece as a result. No way through.
Harte 7. I've slated this guys loads. I remember one fantastic defensive header, generally quite solid. I still fear for his poor pace and now our right isn't a weakness the teams will simply focus on this side more. Watch this space. Well done though Harte!
Pearce 7. Solid
Maps. 7 Solid.
McAnuff 6.5. Poor chap I feel for him. He's a RIGHT footed RIGHT winger and a very good one at that. our best player by a mile when he joined, but he is rightly ousted from the right side by Deity Kebe. So he's on the left, then in the middle. Can't get rhythm. Like him though.
Mcleary 6.5. Might make people think about knocking Jobi. Even mcleary struggles when he starts. Did nothing wrong but not amazing.
Kebe 9. Need I even bother. He does what he wants. He wanted to win. So we did. *bows to Kebe*
Guthrie 8. Really is doing a good job now. Have to say I dislike his attitude on BBCRB stating that the team started doing well when he started playing. Possibly a jab at Brian. Still a kid who needs to learn some respect and I'm not a fan anymore of himself personally after that. I don't have to like him though. A good performance and yes he may be right :wink:
Legs 8. If only for his FOOKING GLORIOUS pass to King Kebe that lead to our equaliser. I have to say I was concerned to see him back. Welcome back Legs!
Pog 7. Can't complain. Caused enough anxiety to free up alfie. Did enough.
Akpan 7 too short to tell but he seemed hungry, strong and clued up. Looks an excellent signing. Well done RFC
Alfie. 10. I don't know what one has to do to get a 10, if it's not coming on and scoring two goals To turn defeat into victory. I think ppl are confusing 10 with infinity. Definite 10, I'm not afraid to give it.

Brian - 8 top substititions, obviously because each one worked a dream.
Fans 10. Nuff said.

Carico - lol at mongs who thought he was ok in he last game. Is that why he he was embarrassingly (for Brian) pulled off at HT and didn't even get a lookin today? Hell come good but but another gobby shit after his cocky interview stating he'd start today. Just worth a :lol: mention I thought. Cockiness gets you nowhere - take note Guthrie!!

yappy

by yappy » 19 Jan 2013 20:39

2 world wars, 1 world cup Carico - lol at mongs who thought he was ok in he last game. Is that why he he was embarrassingly (for Brian) pulled off at HT and didn't even get a lookin today? Hell come good but but another gobby shit after his cocky interview stating he'd start today. Just worth a :lol: mention I thought. Cockiness gets you nowhere - take note Guthrie!!

I must've missed this- what did Carrico say exactly?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 19 Jan 2013 21:07

I really think we were good value for the four points over the two games. We were second best in the first half, but not so much as against some other teams, and once they scored we came out of our shell a bit and started to knock it around. I thought all round our ball possession and movement was the best it's been all season. Second half, I honestly can't remember them seriously threatening until we led. Two spectacularly good balls from Legs to Kebe, in addition to sterling defensive work. And then the Kebster - he's not showing all the magic we've seen from him in the past, but his defending gets better and better, and then today there he was jumping for headers in the box (and winning) and laying off some great chances. He's becoming a really great all-rounder and not just a mercurial winger. Another great game from the CDs and the best I've seen Harte for some time.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Jan 2013 21:13

yappy
2 world wars, 1 world cup Carico - lol at mongs who thought he was ok in he last game. Is that why he he was embarrassingly (for Brian) pulled off at HT and didn't even get a lookin today? Hell come good but but another gobby shit after his cocky interview stating he'd start today. Just worth a :lol: mention I thought. Cockiness gets you nowhere - take note Guthrie!!

I must've missed this- what did Carrico say exactly?

After being largely quite poor last game (purely because of his match fitness mind - I think he'll be fine) when questioned by BBCRB he made out that he did well and was only subbed because of the change in formation and that he fully expects to start for the next game. The sort of dishonesty, cockiness and self-loving I absolutely loathe in anyone so it hit a nerve with me. He was dire, and should've just said so. Probably just cultural - fits with every Portuguese person I know - I hope Brian has words with him or we'll have another Guthrie on our hands. I fully expect him to gt match fit and play an important role for us, mind.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 19 Jan 2013 21:18

Arch I really think we were good value for the four points over the two games. We were second best in the first half, but not so much as against some other teams, and once they scored we came out of our shell a bit and started to knock it around. I thought all round our ball possession and movement was the best it's been all season. Second half, I honestly can't remember them seriously threatening until we led. Two spectacularly good balls from Legs to Kebe, in addition to sterling defensive work. And then the Kebster - he's not showing all the magic we've seen from him in the past, but his defending gets better and better, and then today there he was jumping for headers in the box (and winning) and laying off some great chances. He's becoming a really great all-rounder and not just a mercurial winger. Another great game from the CDs and the best I've seen Harte for some time.

For me the improved ball retention was due to Kelly and Guthrie who really were playing some nice stuff. I would agree that it was a very encouraging peformance.

Perhaps our best of the year. Think Pog is pretty fired up as well. Very promising.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 19 Jan 2013 21:18

Just got home. So happy. First half 1-0 was fair reflection. Second half we were not brilliant but did enough. Big shout out to Ledge who was really good today, 2 awesome passes to Kebe one of which created the first goal. Assume Carrico wont be involved for a couple of weeks whilst he gets the required fitness.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 19 Jan 2013 21:25

Fair play to Brian today. He really knows how to motivate players by dropping them from the side. Harte has been solid since coming back in, Legs strong in the middle (and a great ball to Kebe for the equaliser), Pog and Pearce too- even if not dropped for the same reasons.

Subs spot on today, put his balls on the block going all out and it paid off again.

Even if a draw today would have been fair for Newcastle's first half dominance we have definitely deserved 4 points against them.

To the away fans who traveled, have a good un tonight and safe journey back.

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 19 Jan 2013 21:38

I'm too lazy to look it up, but who said that Legs had been playing straight for nearly 2 seasons now and needed a rest?
I think that person might be right.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 19 Jan 2013 21:53

GreaterTorontoRoyal I'm too lazy to look it up, but who said that Legs had been playing straight for nearly 2 seasons now and needed a rest?
I think that person might be right.

I think that should have read he needs some competition for his place.