Release the Kébé

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Release the Kébé

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 20 Jan 2013 08:08

I didn't get to the game yesterday but watched a fair chunk on Sky. Kébé looked like he was popping up left/right and central with the striker. Was almost like he had a bit of a free role with a remit of helping out defensively on the right if needed.

What's been brilliant about him this season is that he's been the first player back helping out at right back this season, but its almost subverted him as an attacking presence. Yesterday he was getting back there but not with so much urgency.

Someone on the Stephen Kelly thread eluded to the fact that with Kelly more assured at full back Kébé was able to bomb on more. If so, genius signing from BMcD.

Anyone else get the impression he had a free role?

RFCSPACE

Re: Release the Kébé

by RFCSPACE » 20 Jan 2013 08:36

He's playing much higher up, like a second striker at times. Winners some useful headers as well from what I've seen. I guess the attacking midfielder and Kebe drifting in turn a 4-5-1 to a 4-3-3 on the attack?

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 20 Jan 2013 09:05

Kebe has played very well since returning from injury....He has as a lot more to his game now, as he tracks back defending well backing up the right back and then uses his pace to get forward quickly.

Long may it continue.

The Royal

by The Royal » 20 Jan 2013 09:22

The thing I hate about our players performing well is its only a matter of time before other clubs take an interest. Same goes with ALF.
ALF is really doing great things for himself and the club, how long before we get an offer we can't refuse? Easily worth 5mil in my opinion. Great return from what we outplayed for him.

Like to add a word for mariappa, he is quietly establishing himself as a good asset. First few games he was a bit rusty, but the last few weeks he has really come along. Yesterday he made 3 or 4 extremely vital interceptions and clearances.

In general the whole team is playing better, you can really see what BM means when he says they play for each other.

Could be wrong but from the pictures from MOTD it looked like AP walked straight down the tunnel without shaking hands??? Correct. Me if I'm wrong

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 20 Jan 2013 09:26

I am getting slightly itchey about the possibility of losing ALF this January.................... :shock:

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Jan 2013 09:30

The Royal The thing I hate about our players performing well is its only a matter of time before other clubs take an interest. Same goes with ALF.
ALF is really doing great things for himself and the club, how long before we get an offer we can't refuse? Easily worth 5mil in my opinion. Great return from what we outplayed for him.

Like to add a word for mariappa, he is quietly establishing himself as a good asset. First few games he was a bit rusty, but the last few weeks he has really come along. Yesterday he made 3 or 4 extremely vital interceptions and clearances.

In general the whole team is playing better, you can really see what BM means when he says they play for each other.

Could be wrong but from the pictures from MOTD it looked like AP walked straight down the tunnel without shaking hands??? Correct. Me if I'm wrong

And you think we'd accept an offer of £5million when Huddersfield were asking more for Rhodes?

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 20 Jan 2013 09:35

Fletcher - £10m + add ons - 10 goals this season
ALF - £500k inc add ons - 10 goals this season.

Should be able to get £10m for ALF easily :wink:

Anyone reckon he could be in with a shout for England sooner or later?

The Royal

by The Royal » 20 Jan 2013 09:38

Royalwaster
The Royal The thing I hate about our players performing well is its only a matter of time before other clubs take an interest. Same goes with ALF.

And you think we'd accept an offer of £5million when Huddersfield were asking more for Rhodes?

That's my point, is say he's worth 5 mil but it would take closer to 8mil for us to consider letting him go

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 20 Jan 2013 09:43

If we sell ALF we'll finally get the much anticipated board meltdown.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Jan 2013 10:56

'Greed, it would be so much better if all our players were shit :roll: :|

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Jan 2013 11:13

Super Kevin Bremner! I didn't get to the game yesterday but watched a fair chunk on Sky. Kébé looked like he was popping up left/right and central with the striker. Was almost like he had a bit of a free role with a remit of helping out defensively on the right if needed.

What's been brilliant about him this season is that he's been the first player back helping out at right back this season, but its almost subverted him as an attacking presence. Yesterday he was getting back there but not with so much urgency.

Someone on the Stephen Kelly thread eluded to the fact that with Kelly more assured at full back Kébé was able to bomb on more. If so, genius signing from BMcD.

Anyone else get the impression he had a free role?

Totally agree.

Watched the whole match on SKY and that was the first time we've seen him popping up in the centre so regularly.................................the fact we are now blessed with a Premiership right back may have had something to do with this :P

I've always felt that Kebe could play in the hole but allowing him more freedom to roam makes one of our most dangerous players much harder to mark.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2013 12:14

Don't think he had a free role. But I think he was told to get forward more and he supported Pog (and running beyond him) really well.

Royal Toon

by Royal Toon » 20 Jan 2013 12:31

I really reckon these defensive signings are our best form of attack at the mo. Relieves our attacking players of some of their defensive duties and means the likes of Kebe can make their attacking mark on the game.

Lots of analysis on how many of our players push forward when we're in possession, yet with two combative central midfielders we're still able to keep our defensive shape at the back. This 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 really working a great for us.

BrockManson

by BrockManson » 20 Jan 2013 13:24

Played very well against Newcastle.

Has been utter, utter gash for much of the season though. I still think we'd be best off getting rid, too selfish.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 20 Jan 2013 13:32

No he hasn't

He was injured, barely played, then told Anton to spend some oxf*rd money and then turned our season around with great defensive performances and now great attacking ones too

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 20 Jan 2013 13:33

He's been brilliant in the last month. His defending is coming on amazingly, and he's getting goals and assists all over the place.

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 20 Jan 2013 13:34

pea No he hasn't

He was injured, barely played, then told Anton to spend some oxf*rd money and then turned our season around with great defensive performances and now great attacking ones too

I agree

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 20 Jan 2013 13:41

It's the Reading way. TBF It's the case with all small clubs. The big clubs sniff around offer silly money they can't refuse. Even if they do they will tap up the player/manager unsettle them throw the toys out the pram till they get what they want.

BrockManson

by BrockManson » 20 Jan 2013 13:42

pea No he hasn't

He's always had this inexcusably selfish attitude. At the end of the day he doesn't play for the team, he plays for himself. If he doesn't feel like getting involved, he hides. Alternatively he decides he's Messi and thinks he can dribble through an entire team and score goal of the season.

Sorry like but I don't want to see players actively running away from the ball rather than receive it. He's a winger - he shouldn't shirk inside and leave the full back completely exposed which is something he's been doing all season. The fact that Gunter is very green at this level and Cummings rarely risks a nose bleed that far into the opposition half means we lose momentum and/or possession.

What absolutely frustrates me the most is how he does bugger all until he pops up and scores, thereby glossing over how selfish he's played. You could argue that it doesn't matter, so long as he scores then he's making a contribution. I just see it as a player who has real pace not pulling his weight and being a threat for the full game.

Give McCleary an extended run in the side in place of Kebe and McAnuff and we'll create far more chances than what we do at current, which quite frankly is nowhere near enough for when we play better sides than West Ham, WBA and Newcastle.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Jan 2013 13:49

Have you been watching QPR by mistake?

I don't think our full backs could ask for more protection than they get from Kebe. McCleary and HRK, on the other hand, are very lax with their defensive duties.

Compare Man United at home with West Ham at home. In one, HRK allowed Evra and co. to run at Cummings again and again, and they scored three goals as a result. In the other, Kebe battled away with the likes of Noble and was crucial in ensuring we held on to our lead.

He's also not selfish. Admittedly first time we got relegated he would sometimes take a shot rather than square it for Doyle or a Hunt, but these days he's our main creative threat, he'll often make a run to create space for the full back or offload to another player.

Basically, you're wrong.