No
26%

Total votes: 229
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: The Great Escape

by Platypuss » 20 Jan 2013 19:28

Big Ern Heart is starting to say we have a chance now, but the head is still saying we will go down.

I remember in our last ill fated Premiership campaign there was a point around Feb or March where we put a few wins together and started pulling away to safety, only to plummet back down the table in the last couple of months.

Go this terrible feeling it will go the last game of the season and it will all end in tears for us.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2013 21:04

You've got to admit, the similarity is uncanny.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 20 Jan 2013 21:55

Didn't we beat Livererpool, looked comfartable (like Norwich or Fulham do at the moment) and then go on a terrible defeat streak?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 20 Jan 2013 22:16

Yeh, at around Christmas last time we really looked like we'd be fine. Our slide was phenomenal; 8 straight defeats in January/February and then another run of 5 matches without a goal in April/May. This time were at our lowest ebb pre Christmas.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2013 22:17

Royal With Cheese Didn't we beat Liverpool, looked comfartable (like Norwich or Fulham do at the moment) and then go on a terrible defeat streak?

We beat Liverpool in December.

We lost 8 games on the bounce through from Xmas to the end of February, won 3 + 1 draw in 5 in March. Then lost 4 out of the last 6. But the seasons are totally different. First half was good followed by a total capitulation and very brief recovery, followed by another capitulation and one last win too little too late.

This season we've been shit from the start (results wise at least, we were ok performance wise for the first few games) and have started the recovery after Xmas. Even if we do recover enough to stay up, we'll probably still have blips where we go on a few game streak(s) of few points. That's just the way it goes when we've still got games against the likes of Chelsea, Everton, Utd, Arsenal and City.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 20 Jan 2013 22:53

Having just had a nosey round Saintsweb, I'm surprised how much they generally hate us & want us to go down! Why is that exactly? Odd. I quite liked them & was hoping Wigan, QPR & Villa would go if I had to pick 3.

If I was a betting man on who would finish higher, I know where my money would go right now........McDermott likes to tease a bit up to Xmas & then pow up the table we go! :lol:

They've even put a vid of Alf's first goal on there moaning about handball. It clearly wasn't deliberate if it was a handball & after the hand of Ba....well frankly that's justice!

No mention of their blatant dive against Villa to get an undeserved win though. Hope you drop like a stone you b@stards!

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 21 Jan 2013 01:00

MmmMonsterMunch Having just had a nosey round Saintsweb, I'm surprised how much they generally hate us & want us to go down! Why is that exactly? Odd. I quite liked them & was hoping Wigan, QPR & Villa would go if I had to pick 3.

If I was a betting man on who would finish higher, I know where my money would go right now........McDermott likes to tease a bit up to Xmas & then pow up the table we go! :lol:

They've even put a vid of Alf's first goal on there moaning about handball. It clearly wasn't deliberate if it was a handball & after the hand of Ba....well frankly that's justice!

No mention of their blatant dive against Villa to get an undeserved win though. Hope you drop like a stone you b@stards!

Pure jealously that we won the league!

VictorDMor

by VictorDMor » 21 Jan 2013 01:40

After yesterday's victory, i say that we can definetely stay up.

brewcity77

by brewcity77 » 21 Jan 2013 03:28

Yesterday was brilliant, largely because I felt prescient. Was at the local pub where pretty much all manner of supporters assemble. There were 2 Newcastle fans there and myself supporting the Royals. About 15-20 minutes in, one of the Toon fans said "your keeper is saving you, we've been dominant." I just nodded and said "Expect that for the first 70-80 minutes. We'll concede much of the possession and just try to keep it close, hope for some great saves, and be within 1 or 2 near the end. Then we'll bring ALF on and go for broke. We're often really boring to watch for an hour or so, but really exciting at the end."

And that was how it went. Gave up the one perfect free kick but did enough on defense and Fedders between the sticks to stay close, ALFie came on, pecked the first one in and slashed Akpan's miss into the corner for the win. Then weathered the pressure and held out for 3 points. As the final whistle blew, the Toon fan shook my hand while also shaking his head in disbelief. "Gotta say, you know your team" he told me. Felt just like last year all over again. When ALF is on his game, this team is the master of the smash and grab.

As long as we can keep the goal differential down against the big clubs and win against the other relegation threatened teams at the MadStad, we should survive. I feel much more confident than I have at any point of the season. Come on, URZ!

Cypry

by Cypry » 21 Jan 2013 06:51

Royal With Cheese Didn't we beat Livererpool, looked comfartable (like Norwich or Fulham do at the moment) and then go on a terrible defeat streak?

Norwich looking far from comfortable at the moment, bottom of the form table with five losses and a draw in the last six, next game against a good-looking Spurs. Momentum is key at the moment, Norwich have none....

Fulham are 15th in form table, 6 points clear of safety so I suspect they'll be looking at our current form with some anxiety as well....

As far as we ho, Chelsea are blowing hot and cold at the moment. With the way we've played against the bigger sides this year, and the sense of injustice from the away game, it wouldn't surprise me if we get something out of the game next week.....

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 21 Jan 2013 07:16

Cypry wrote:As far as we ho, Chelsea are blowing hot and cold at the moment. With the way we've played against the bigger sides this year, and the sense of injustice from the away game, it wouldn't surprise me if we get something out of the game next week.....

I wish I had your optimism for the Chelski game as we are going to need three points against one of the bigger clubs if we are to have any chance of staying up.

Cypry

by Cypry » 21 Jan 2013 07:27

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Cypry wrote:As far as we ho, Chelsea are blowing hot and cold at the moment. With the way we've played against the bigger sides this year, and the sense of injustice from the away game, it wouldn't surprise me if we get something out of the game next week.....

I wish I had your optimism for the Chelski game as we are going to need three points against one of the bigger clubs if we are to have any chance of staying up.

Didn't say I was optimistic, just that I wouldn't be surprised if we got something ;)

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 21 Jan 2013 07:50

Cypry wrote: Didn't say I was optimistic, just that I wouldn't be surprised if we got something

pedantic or what.......Optomism - "The concept is typically extended to include the attitude of hope for future conditions unfolding".

Cypry

by Cypry » 21 Jan 2013 09:55

I was joking, hence the ;)

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Jan 2013 10:10

Platypuss
Big Ern Heart is starting to say we have a chance now, but the head is still saying we will go down.

I remember in our last ill fated Premiership campaign there was a point around Feb or March where we put a few wins together and started pulling away to safety, only to plummet back down the table in the last couple of months.

Go this terrible feeling it will go the last game of the season and it will all end in tears for us.

That's just re-opened old wounds. Hadn't appreciated properly that we went down having spent only 4 weekends in the relegation spots.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Jan 2013 10:16

Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 21 Jan 2013 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Jan 2013 10:21

The Real Sandhurst Royal

This is utter nonsense. We could lose to every top 6 club we have left to play and still avoid relegation with ease.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 21 Jan 2013 10:28

So are we going to need to win against one of the top 6 to stay up :?:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Jan 2013 10:30

No. Beating most of our relegation rivals is what matters.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 21 Jan 2013 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Jan 2013 10:30

I'm not sure it needed the double post but Woodcote is spot on there, the real Sandhurst Royal has somehow managed, on a page where Ian Royal has posted no less, to post one of the stupidest opinions for some time

192 posts