Release the Kébé

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

Re: Release the Kébé

by urz13 » 21 Jan 2013 18:53

Big Ern
urz13

Anyone reckon he could be in with a shout for England sooner or later?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In short...No.

Well what does give me hope is the fact that Jay Bothryd is an England International.

3 years time - McCarthy, Morrison and ALF to have all made the England squad at one point or another is my (unrealistic but hopeful) prediction.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 21 Jan 2013 19:07

Glorified Championship player. Put in some decent shifts though and shows flashes of excellence here and there. Ultimately, his first touch in dangerous positions is often a bit too agricultural which prevents him from being top class.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 21 Jan 2013 19:24

Kebe is your archetypal winger. Can be frustratingly poor for 85 minutes - losing the ball, shanking it into row z, looking disinterested - and then unexpectedly turn a game with a flash of inspiration (or luck) and a killer pinpoint cross. He looks like bambi on ice and maybe that is to his benefit. If he is being given more of a free role, then well done McDermott. Out think the opposition who only expect him to be sitting out wide, waiting. The nearest mercurial wide talent we have had since Gilksey? 2 goals against WBA and the 2 against Toon were down to him. His attitude and fitness of late has been first class! Hope he keeps it up.

Although Alfie is a different sort of player, he does remind me in many aspects of Cureton and I think he may well follow the same sort of path - scoring goals wherever he may be, but without hitting the top. Not sure poaching skills (or being a fox in the box) are all that you need to aspire these days - Defoe, Wellbeck, Walcott, Sterling etc etc have much much more in their locker - but so long as he continues to pop up in the box and execute the way he has been, I don't care. Don't see anyone coming in for him (yet).

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 22 Jan 2013 12:18

Silver Fox
The Royal The thing I hate about our players performing well is its only a matter of time before other clubs take an interest. Same goes with ALF.

'Greed, it would be so much better if all our players were shit :roll: :|

Agreed, there's no pleasing some people, but that's their problem, not RFC's.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 22 Jan 2013 12:53

melonhead like mcleary, but got nothing on jimmy kebe imo.

especially in the hard work and defending stakes

kebe peaks it but I see mccleary with the greater potential being 25 and kebe 29?.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 22 Jan 2013 13:02

glenroyal
Silver Fox
The Royal The thing I hate about our players performing well is its only a matter of time before other clubs take an interest. Same goes with ALF.

'Greed, it would be so much better if all our players were shit :roll: :|

Agreed, there's no pleasing some people, but that's their problem, not RFC's.

The post from 'the royal' just about sums up some of the people on this forum

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 22 Jan 2013 15:44

If Jimmy could play with a level of consistency he would not be playing for us.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 Jan 2013 15:50

he does play with a level of consistency

takes a while to get back from injuries, but once there, he is consistent, and has been for a few years

imo.

takes alot of grief from people looking at him through glasses coloured by memories of his first couple of years

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 22 Jan 2013 16:59

melonhead he does play with a level of consistency

takes a while to get back from injuries, but once there, he is consistent, and has been for a few years

imo.

takes alot of grief from people looking at him through glasses coloured by memories of his first couple of years

Hence why we shouldn't be quick to write off any new player. I remember Shane Long and how he was when he first arrived.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 22 Jan 2013 18:30

Super Kevin Bremner! I didn't get to the game yesterday but watched a fair chunk on Sky. Kébé looked like he was popping up left/right and central with the striker. Was almost like he had a bit of a free role with a remit of helping out defensively on the right if needed.

What's been brilliant about him this season is that he's been the first player back helping out at right back this season, but its almost subverted him as an attacking presence. Yesterday he was getting back there but not with so much urgency.

Someone on the Stephen Kelly thread eluded to the fact that with Kelly more assured at full back Kébé was able to bomb on more. If so, genius signing from BMcD.

Anyone else get the impression he had a free role?

yes kelly is a bit quicker. we just need a quicker defender on the left now