SPECULATION: Andrey Arshavin

464 posts
Divvy

Re: SPECULATION: Andrey Arshavin

by Divvy » 24 Jan 2013 20:11

LightwaterRoyal Seen the clip, he also mentioned that we haven't spent big money in the time hes been here, or even the last 12 years but if the right player comes along then the chairman has to think about it. We will spend big on the right players.

Im not giving up hope on this move just yet as that last bit seemed to hint the move is too expensive, but Anton will have a look. Thats what I got from it anyway.

The problem is Madejski. He isn't having any of this. Anton wants him in.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 24 Jan 2013 20:19

Divvy
LightwaterRoyal Seen the clip, he also mentioned that we haven't spent big money in the time hes been here, or even the last 12 years but if the right player comes along then the chairman has to think about it. We will spend big on the right players.

Im not giving up hope on this move just yet as that last bit seemed to hint the move is too expensive, but Anton will have a look. Thats what I got from it anyway.

The problem is Madejski. He isn't having any of this. Anton wants him in.

Doesn't make sense if so. Madejski knows we have to spend, big. He just doesn't want to be the one paying for it.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 24 Jan 2013 20:37

You never know what to believe on the terraces but up in newcastle there were some claiming that not all is well behind the scenes. someone wants this and the other doesn't agree. Whichever way around it is, it sounds like we're not necessarily pulling in the same direction.

maybe there's spending big and there's spending too big? arshavin on silly wages might not sit well with SJM and some of the squad? we've heard SJM say we need to invest, so he obviously wants some level of spend on the playing staff.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 24 Jan 2013 20:49

Jay o/ You never know what to believe on the terraces but up in newcastle there were some claiming that not all is well behind the scenes. someone wants this and the other doesn't agree. Whichever way around it is, it sounds like we're not necessarily pulling in the same direction.

maybe there's spending big and there's spending too big? arshavin on silly wages might not sit well with SJM and some of the squad? we've heard SJM say we need to invest, so he obviously wants some level of spend on the playing staff.

You say not everyone is pulling in the same direction but from the last two weeks it definitely looks like we are. The one thing we have over our relegation rivals is team spirit and thats why I love this club, If Arshavin disrupts that no matter how good I think he is the team comes first.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 24 Jan 2013 21:08

Reading manager Brian McDermott has played down talk of Arsenal’s Andrey Arshavin joining the club in the January transfer window.

The Russia international has barely featured for Arsenal this season, and Arsene Wenger is said to be keen to remove the high-earner from the wage bill.

Reading were rumoured to be preparing a four million-pound bid to reunite the mercurial forward with countryman and former Zenit St Petersburg team-mate Pavel Pogrebnyak.

However, McDermott distanced himself from such speculation, telling Sky Sports: “It’s one that I’ve heard many times.

“He’s an Arsenal player. I don’t think he will be a Reading player.”

However, the Reading manager insisted there are funds available to bolster the team’s fight against relegation, with owner Anton Zingarevich willing to spend should the right player be identified.

“We haven’t broken the bank, I certainly haven’t in the last three years and we probably haven’t in the last 12 years as a club,” McDermott said.

“That’s not to say that if a player came in that we felt was right for us, at the right cost, then the owner would have to make a decision to back that deal. Then we will wait and see.

“It’s not a case of we wouldn’t if it was right.”

yappy

by yappy » 24 Jan 2013 21:09

LightwaterRoyal We will spend big on the right players.

And probably why we aren't prepared to pay for Arshavin. I don't see how he can be the "right player" to splash out on when he has been poor for years, is lazy, moody and couldn't give a crap about Reading.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 24 Jan 2013 21:14

yappy

And probably why we aren't prepared to pay for Arshavin. I don't see how he can be the "right player" to splash out on when he has been poor for years, is lazy, moody and couldn't give a crap about Reading.

Agree but can u honestly see us spending big?

Even saints spending has put us to shame

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 24 Jan 2013 21:18

LightwaterRoyal
Jay o/ You never know what to believe on the terraces but up in newcastle there were some claiming that not all is well behind the scenes. someone wants this and the other doesn't agree. Whichever way around it is, it sounds like we're not necessarily pulling in the same direction.

You say not everyone is pulling in the same direction but from the last two weeks it definitely looks like we are. The one thing we have over our relegation rivals is team spirit and thats why I love this club, If Arshavin disrupts that no matter how good I think he is the team comes first.

I read that more as 'new owner and previous owner have conflicting ideas of how the club should move forward'. The Reading Way stopped the minute Anton took over and was prepared to pay a million for Roberts and £20k+ a week wages. From then on we were a club prepared to put our money where our mouth is to get out of that division, and with a large slice of luck we achieved it. Then we brought in the Pog on a free, but it's not really is it? It's a couple mill signing fee, phenomenal wages thought to be around 55k a week, and we all scoffed that we would ever pay anyone that sort of money; and then agent fees that must have tickled seven figures. That isn't the Reading way, and I believe we will continue to show that ambition as time ticks by, but perhaps more so when SJM has less influence at the club.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 24 Jan 2013 21:26

SPARTA
LightwaterRoyal

I read that more as 'new owner and previous owner have conflicting ideas of how the club should move forward'. The Reading Way stopped the minute Anton took over and was prepared to pay a million for Roberts and £20k+ a week wages. From then on we were a club prepared to put our money where our mouth is to get out of that division, and with a large slice of luck we achieved it. Then we brought in the Pog on a free, but it's not really is it? It's a couple mill signing fee, phenomenal wages thought to be around 55k a week, and we all scoffed that we would ever pay anyone that sort of money; and then agent fees that must have tickled seven figures. That isn't the Reading way, and I believe we will continue to show that ambition as time ticks by, but perhaps more so when SJM has less influence at the club.

For how much SJM has done for this club and hes done alot, he has also held it back from becoming a stable Prem club and maybe he should step away and go

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 24 Jan 2013 21:40

Well whether we like the idea of new owners or not, and the risk of bigger spending, SJM sells his remaining 49% share this year and is supposed to be retiring as chairman and taking up a life president role from this summer. He'll have next to no say in the direction the club moves in then. That may or may not be a good thing.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 24 Jan 2013 21:48

SPARTA Well whether we like the idea of new owners or not, and the risk of bigger spending, SJM sells his remaining 49% share this year and is supposed to be retiring as chairman and taking up a life president role from this summer. He'll have next to no say in the direction the club moves in then. That may or may not be a good thing.

Ive been waiting for it for years hopefully we can move forward and establish ourselves as a Prem Club

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Jan 2013 04:17

I see a mix of sadness and irony when SJM talks about failing to invest in new players. The last time he put his hand in his pocket was to secure the signing of Lita for 1m and he was pretty pissed about it. The B/S he came out with about proving determination and intention to get back to the PL was as big as it gets. We only got promoted because a new investor came along and Roberts came in and did a fantastic job.

What I am comfortable with is BMcD's assertion that we will spend big when the right player comes along. That we have not made a move for the pink faced one suggests to me that BMcD does not regard him as right for the club.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Jan 2013 07:05

Terminal Boardom I see a mix of sadness and irony when SJM talks about failing to invest in new players. The last time he put his hand in his pocket was to secure the signing of Lita for 1m and he was pretty pissed about it. The B/S he came out with about proving determination and intention to get back to the PL was as big as it gets. We only got promoted because a new investor came along and Roberts came in and did a fantastic job.

What I am comfortable with is BMcD's assertion that we will spend big when the right player comes along. That we have not made a move for the pink faced one suggests to me that BMcD does not regard him as right for the club.

TBF, we were amongst the biggest wage spenders in the Championship between our PL stints.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Jan 2013 07:44

Wimb TBF, we were amongst the biggest wage spenders in the Championship between our PL stints.

Tbf in all but fanbase we are a 'big club' at championship level and continuing to grow (even the fanbase is getting there). Compare where we were 25 years ago to now and the change is ridiculously big for the better. Might be frustrating for us sometimes but with the guile that got us here plus a little more money I can't see why we can't carry on.

I'm not sure under Madejski we would have shelled out £1.3m + wages on a right back without selling one first - having just brought Gunter in the close season we would probably have been stuck with him in the side until summer.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Jan 2013 10:51

ManchesterRoyals
yappy

Agree but can u honestly see us spending big?

Even saints spending has put us to shame

you mean even saints who have spent as much as anyone outside the big 4 this season? :roll:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 25 Jan 2013 10:54

im not massively sure AZ will change that much from JMs way of doing things at all.
for me its a case of actually having some money to put into the team, rather than none.
and building the club gradually and sensibly with infrastructure and new players, so that in a few years the club is worth alot more than he payed.
its just the right way to go about things.

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 25 Jan 2013 12:05

LightwaterRoyal
M Brook
LightwaterRoyal Just saw McDermott talking about Arshavin on SSN but my brother (who supports Arsenal) wouldnt let me listen. Anyone know what was said?

'Shut the f**k up, you annoying little Arse supporting t**t. I wish you'd never been born and I was still an only child' ?

You lost me

It's called lateral thinking - i.e. the clue's in your question...

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 30 Jan 2013 08:46

Brian has said that he was chasing a Prem player with loads of experience but as of yesterday this was now dead.

Wonder if it could have been Arshavin, would prefer Ince IMHO.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 30 Jan 2013 09:05

No Hoops Brian has said that he was chasing a Prem player with loads of experience but as of yesterday this was now dead.

Wonder if it could have been Arshavin, would prefer Ince IMHO.

Danny Graham

specialjon

by specialjon » 30 Jan 2013 09:19

Danny Graham, "loads" of experience?

464 posts