Alex Pearce

769 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Alex Pearce

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jan 2013 23:46

I actually don't get what the argument is to be honest. Ideal makes a fair point; IF the club do not think Pearce is worth the increase, why would they pay it?

As Ideal said; that money could fetch us another player of near to equal quality. It has to be considered.

My opinion is that Pearce is a good, solid CB who is only going to get better. I'd pay the dough and keep the guy who knows the club and is up and running.

However, I don't think it is a retarded point of view to think that increase could fund another future hope. Is Pearce THAT much better than Morrison or Mariappa?

Wish footballers just wanted to play for club x, regardless of the cash. But they are all f/cking rapists at the end of the day.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 11 Jan 2013 03:53

I would give him what he wants.

A) It ties him down for 3+ years
B) If/when we go down we have a proven young player that will sort out our shambles of a defence
C)He loves the club despite what people say. (One can only assume parity)
D)He will get only get better
E)Another academy player to boast about
F)Cheaper to sign him on a bigger wage than bring someone else in (An assumption)
D)Can always sell him!

Obvious from my perspective

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 11 Jan 2013 09:28

There's no way Morro is better than Pearce. But he has potential to be. His positioning and decision making is sometimes very suspect. Although he's quality on the ball and an aerial threat he did cost us quite a few goals during his run in the side. The experience of Pearce alongside Mariappa has made is considerably stronger in the meantime.

Really hope we keep Pearce. Can't think of a much better set of centre backs in the championship than mim, Mariappa and Morrison.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 11 Jan 2013 09:48

maffff There's no way Morro is better than Pearce. But he has potential to be. His positioning and decision making is sometimes very suspect. Although he's quality on the ball and an aerial threat he did cost us quite a few goals during his run in the side. The experience of Pearce alongside Mariappa has made is considerably stronger in the meantime.

Really hope we keep Pearce. Can't think of a much better set of centre backs in the championship than mim, Mariappa and Morrison.

Agree with this 100%

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 11 Jan 2013 10:08

Sorry if this has been said previously, haven't got time to go through all 34 pages, but it could just be Pearce keeping his options open.

If/when we do go down he would be available on a free which has to be attractive to any of the newly promoted or lower tier established premiership sides at least. Of course, if no-one comes in for him then, he does risk us offering him less than he can demand now.

Either way, I don't begrudge him, he's shown he can handle the demands of the premiership and will want to play at as high a level as possible if he has any real aspirations of playing international football

yappy

by yappy » 11 Jan 2013 10:48

From the Reading FB Page;

Brian has given an update on Alex Pearce too - and said the fans did everyone a favour by chanting the centre back's name at Crawley Town!

"I like that the fans did us a favour and that was a really good shout! I said to him Pearcey "They want you to sign, that’s nice isn't it?!"

"Things are closer, I just let him get on with it. He wants to stay, we want to keep him, you feel we’re all going in the same direction."

Big chant of "Sign your contract, Alex Pearce" on Saturday please! :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2013 12:34

Extended-Phenotype I actually don't get what the argument is to be honest. Ideal makes a fair point; IF the club do not think Pearce is worth the increase, why would they pay it?

As Ideal said; that money could fetch us another player of near to equal quality. It has to be considered.

My opinion is that Pearce is a good, solid CB who is only going to get better. I'd pay the dough and keep the guy who knows the club and is up and running.

However, I don't think it is a retarded point of view to think that increase could fund another future hope. Is Pearce THAT much better than Morrison or Mariappa?

Wish footballers just wanted to play for club x, regardless of the cash. But they are all f/cking rapists at the end of the day.

The increase couldn't fund that player. It could only be funded by Pearce not getting the increase and leaving so the rest of his wage is freed up as well. And we'd almost certainly have to pay a significant transfer fee for a player of Pearce's quality and experience. And any signing is more of a gamble than keeping an existing player. So it would likely cost us more to do and be less reliable. But I agree that we shouldn't pay up if we don't think he's worth it.

Although I still think it'll all be sorted out with him signing by the end of Feb. Probably a bit sooner.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 03 Feb 2013 19:13

Change of agent to Hal's brother is the main reason for the hold up of contract. Apparently he has quite a few offers on the table.

under the tin

by under the tin » 03 Feb 2013 19:28

.....And, of course, Brendan Rodgers having his mobile phone nimber.................

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 03 Feb 2013 19:34

I also get the feeling he is joining liverpool in the summer. :(

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Feb 2013 19:37

So Pearce will play in a slick passing side...

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 03 Feb 2013 19:43

No, he is signing for Liverpool.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 03 Feb 2013 19:46

2.8 lita injection No, he is signing for Liverpool.

Probably, and who can blame him? Any of our players would find it hard and be mad not to swap for Anfield in that situation. I'll have a few bob on Sunzu coming in as his replacement if we stay up.

Cypry

by Cypry » 03 Feb 2013 19:47

SPARTA
2.8 lita injection No, he is signing for Liverpool.

Probably, and who can blame him? Any of our players would find it hard and be mad not to swap for Anfield in that situation. I'll have a few bob on Sunzu coming in as his replacement if we stay up.

If we stay up I reckon we might set our sights a bit higher than Sunzu...

LumpWarden

by LumpWarden » 03 Feb 2013 20:13

BBCRB were saying something about him not celebrating the goals yesterday - anyone notice this?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 03 Feb 2013 20:17

He did it against Chelsea, he was making the point not to lose your head. The game wasn't over yet.

Nobody celebrated more than Pearce when the whistle went, in both games, nobody.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 03 Feb 2013 20:31

ZacNaloen Nobody celebrated more than Pearce when the whistle went, in both games, nobody.

^This.

Although I do want him to score again soon. His celebrations are always funny :lol:

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 03 Feb 2013 20:34

Just seen this video searching for him on youtube :lol:

http://youtu.be/f5iHyMBlock?t=38s

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 04 Feb 2013 16:27

Twitter has rumours of Pearce not wanting to sign his contract and become a free agent, although at this time I am giving these rumours the same credence I am giving the Remy out for the season ones. However, should the event occur, and as it is Monday and I am quite prepared to ask an incendiary question, would this really be a hammer blow for us if he left?

RoyalTank

by RoyalTank » 04 Feb 2013 16:33

Elm Park Pasty Twitter has rumours of Pearce not wanting to sign his contract and become a free agent, although at this time I am giving these rumours the same credence I am giving the Remy out for the season ones. However, should the event occur, and as it is Monday and I am quite prepared to ask an incendiary question, would this really be a hmmaer blow for us if he left?

its really weird because he plays with so much passion and after every win he goes crazy with the fans.
he gives of the impression that he loves the club, but at the same time he will not sign a contract.

769 posts