How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by melonhead » 04 Feb 2013 12:03

in answer to the OP

TILL THE END OF TIME

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Feb 2013 12:19

SPARTA

It's no Djokovic, but the double-McDermott is under-rated as a celebration.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 04 Feb 2013 12:55

He's definitely very much on contention for the Barclays Manager of the month for January - and ALF very much in contention for player of the month too....

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 04 Feb 2013 13:02

cmonurz
SPARTA

It's no Djokovic, but the double-McDermott is under-rated as a celebration.

What really strikes me about that picture is how lonely being a manager must feel at times. All those expectant fans watching on, and you on the sideline yelling out instructions and hoping for that win. I had my doubts about him when we looked so lost pre-Christmas, but you can never question his passion for the club. I am developing a man-crush. :oops:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Feb 2013 11:12

Brendy, with the news at the end of the transfer window that we were happy to pay more than £10m for Sigurdsson and were in the running for Ince for significant money too, have you readjusted your opinion on how the budget was set in the summer or what the club can sensibly afford?

Strikes me that, although these were only bids and not actual transfers, the club had the money and were willing to put it into the team if we really wanted to but the decision was made in the summer that we didn't really have (or perhaps want) to spend more to be competitive.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Feb 2013 11:15

Hoop Blah Brendy, with the news at the end of the transfer window that we were happy to pay more than £10m for Sigurdsson and were in the running for Ince for significant money too, have you readjusted your opinion on how the budget was set in the summer or what the club can sensibly afford?

Strikes me that, although these were only bids and not actual transfers, the club had the money and were willing to put it into the team if we really wanted to but the decision was made in the summer that we didn't really have (or perhaps want) to spend more to be competitive.

no. still remiains the same. clarly a reaction to our poor start, as confirmed by antons quotes about being a mistake in the summer etc
imo its clear that the budget was set too low.
id need quotes from mcdermott saying he didnt want any more money and made a concious decision to go with what we had.
its defo possible that this may happen, and ive no problem with that if so.
id just like to hear it from brian before changing my view to match the new facts.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Feb 2013 11:34

Fair enough, it was a genuine question. I agree the money available now is a bit of a reaction to our predicament, but I also believe there was probably more funds available for the transfer budget if McDermott had pushed for it. I just don't believe McDermott wasn't a big part of making the decision about how little we could get away with spending.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2013 12:09

I still see no reason to believe we've changed our way of operating from "make a case for the right player at the right cost and the money is there" to "you have a budget of X do your best".

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Feb 2013 12:44

i think its always been a case of you have a budget of X, but if the correct player becomes available, will fit in, is in a popsition we need who will increase the quality of the squad, then by all means ask for more

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2013 17:29

melonhead i think its always been a case of you have a budget of X, but if the correct player becomes available, will fit in, is in a popsition we need who will increase the quality of the squad, then by all means ask for more

Well, that's not what our managers have said in the past.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 07 Feb 2013 17:41

mcdermoy will be sacked on sunday. garenteed

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 07 Feb 2013 18:07

Hoop Blah Brendy, with the news at the end of the transfer window that we were happy to pay more than £10m for Sigurdsson and were in the running for Ince for significant money too, have you readjusted your opinion on how the budget was set in the summer or what the club can sensibly afford?

I think Anton is already on record as saying that investing so little in the summer was a mistake, although the reasoning behind it was (IMHO) perfectly understandable. They tried to rely on spirit and effort in the same way we did getting promoted but what they perhaps didn't anticipate was how much tougher it is to maintain that team ethic in a relation fight than in a promotion challenge.

Many mistakes were made in the first 6 months on the season, however what is most pleasing to see is that we are learning from them. The experiences of this season will be valuable (whatever the outcome) in our '5 year vision'.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2013 18:13

winchester_royal

I think Anton is already on record as saying that investing so little in the summer was a mistake, although the reasoning behind it was (IMHO) perfectly understandable. They tried to rely on spirit and effort in the same way we did getting promoted but what they perhaps didn't anticipate was how much tougher it is to maintain that team ethic in a relation fight than in a promotion challenge.

Many mistakes were made in the first 6 months on the season, however what is most pleasing to see is that we are learning from them. The experiences of this season will be valuable (whatever the outcome) in our '5 year vision'.

Be nice if MaccyD could demonstrate he's learnt by getting us a good start to next season for a change.

TBF to him, I guess he's either lost crucial players at the start of each season, or been at a higher level where he has no management experience.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 07 Feb 2013 19:37

melonhead imo its clear that the budget was set too low.

If only someone had pointed that out at the time :?

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 08 Feb 2013 12:29

akranes mcdermoy will be sacked on sunday. garenteed

McDermoy? Who's that, then?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 08 Feb 2013 15:09

Ian Royal Be nice if MaccyD could demonstrate he's learnt by getting us a good start to next season for a change.

TBF to him, I guess he's either lost crucial players at the start of each season, or been at a higher level where he has no management experience.
Europe or bust next year then.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 08 Feb 2013 16:47

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Feb 2013 12:00

winchester_royal

Thanks for that winchester.

Brendy and I have had an ongoing discussion about why we supposedly had such a small budget and where the responsibility may lie with leaving ourselves so short. The discussion goes back to why we were so far off the pace and who should carry the can for it.

Brendy seems to think that McDermott's hands were tied because he 'spent all the money he had' and so he's largely blameless. My view is that McDermott would've had a significant influence on the budget the club gave him and I think he probably didn't ask for much because he wanted to stick with what he had (and that was the initial mistake).

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Feb 2013 12:24

tbf i have no gr8 desire to be right here
im just going with what i can deduce from the snippets ive heard.
if further snippets come out and say that brian set his own budget, and decided to only spend 5 million, then ill happily adjust my view

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Feb 2013 12:36

I have as much doubt that McD set the budget as I do McD had no involvement at all. The most rational assumption would be that all were involved, all were happy, and all were wrong.

3209 posts