READING'S ULTIMATE LEGEND

228 posts
dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

Re: READING'S ULTIMATE LEGEND

by dizzynewheights » 23 Feb 2013 21:41

Well done, you've done a great job of stating your case there, I'm convinced :roll: ^ simpletons like this are the issue, this eejit probably never saw Holsgrove, let alone Friday

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 23 Feb 2013 21:45

This eejit (and I'll be staggered from your posts if you've got 10% of the academic/professional qualifications that I've got tw@t face) saw RF play every single one of his home league matches.

Did you see him play? If not then piss off.

bassett royal

by bassett royal » 23 Feb 2013 21:46

steve death

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 23 Feb 2013 21:49

bassett royal steve death

...was brilliant. RIP.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Feb 2013 21:57

Out of interest... How many appearances did Friday make for Reading?

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 23 Feb 2013 21:59

Man Friday This eejit (and I'll be staggered from your posts if you've got 10% of the academic/professional qualifications that I've got tw@t face) saw RF play every single one of his home league matches.

clearly you got an NVQ in bullshit bruv, he scored about 4 decent goals and was mediocre at best rest of the time.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 23 Feb 2013 22:01

Don't know off the top of my head but he was with us for 2.5 seasons and played most of those matches so I'm guessing around 150. Incredible that he should be Reading's player of the millennium in just that relatively short amount of time and even more the case with Cardiff as he played even fewer games for them. You can only appreciate how that possibly could be if you saw him play.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Feb 2013 22:02

Found out myself.... 121 games.

Cult figure yes, ultimate legend not even close.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 23 Feb 2013 22:03

dizzynewheights
Man Friday This eejit (and I'll be staggered from your posts if you've got 10% of the academic/professional qualifications that I've got tw@t face) saw RF play every single one of his home league matches.

clearly you got an NVQ in bullshit bruv, he scored about 4 decent goals and was mediocre at best rest of the time.

So you didn't see him play then, oxf*rd? Thought not. You sound about ten years old.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 23 Feb 2013 22:05

paultheroyal Found out myself.... 121 games.

Says you.

Did you see him play? (Just asking.)

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular

by dizzynewheights » 23 Feb 2013 22:11

Before Reading reached the PL you never heard anyone talk about Friday. He's just become a symbol for old bores trying to prove they're not plastics. If he was half as good as people say he could have walked us into the 1st division

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Feb 2013 22:15

dizzynewheights Before Reading reached the PL you never heard anyone talk about Friday. He's just become a symbol for old bores trying to prove they're not plastics. If he was half as good as people say he could have walked us into the 1st division

Yep, I do agree with your stance on this. He was doing "his thing" in the old 4th division. Dean Horrix was a world beater in that division too. Far more worthy of this award starting with Martin Hicks.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Feb 2013 17:21

dizzynewheights I hear where youre coming from and I never saw the bloke play but I agree with Man Friday.

This thread is about ultimate LEGEND, not our best player on paper or the player with the highest actim index bla bla. The very fact that fans young and old alike, those who have seen him and those who haven't are talking about him with excitement suggests if there ever was a legend, it's Robin Friday.

Do you honestly think everything said about every legend is true? Was St George the Palestinian an Englishman in shining armour who slayed a dragon? Did William Wallace breathe fire on his enemies? Etc etc. No but there was something about them that made them stand out and be remembered for good.

Yes Friday may have been a big fish in a small pond, yes he may have been a bad attitude drunk, yes he may not have survived even half a game in today's Premier League, but that's not the point. The point is this man was something special. So special Infact that his name reverberates in Reading's history and will do for years to come.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather it was Archie or Parky or Kebe or Murty or someone else I've seen play ( yes those are/will be also legends), but Friday has stood the test of time and to argue otherwise based on his goals:game ratio or some other academic argument is just pointless.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Feb 2013 17:25

dizzynewheights Before Reading reached the PL you never heard anyone talk about Friday.

ALOL

One of the first ex-players I learned about when I became a full-on fan in 1994.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Feb 2013 17:29

Man Friday
paultheroyal Found out myself.... 121 games.

Says you.

Did you see him play? (Just asking.)

He used to be a referee, he's never seen anything. :wink:

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 24 Feb 2013 17:45

Irving Gernon.

If he doesn't clinch it I'll set fire to the Internet.

Biscuit_Boy

by Biscuit_Boy » 24 Feb 2013 17:47

dizzynewheights Before Reading reached the PL you never heard anyone talk about Friday. He's just become a symbol for old bores trying to prove they're not plastics. If he was half as good as people say he could have walked us into the 1st division

If no one ever talked about him how come two non-Reading fans took the trouble to write a book about him?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Feb 2013 17:49

Because Dizzy is on a fishing trip that's why.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 24 Feb 2013 17:50

Royalwaster Sammy Igoe - the player with the best name ever and his own memorable chant, oh, sammy igoe, oh sammy igoe. Legend.

A quartet of individuals were singing the Igoe song on the Nag's bus yesterday.

My associate and I thought that they may have consumed some stimulants in addition to any of the fine array of ales offered by that fine establishment, given the brio with which they sang.

Edit: off their f*cking skulls, etc.

cpmurph

by cpmurph » 24 Feb 2013 17:56

I'm a young 'un who only emigrated to Reading in 1999. Yet I have heard, and know alot about, RF - despite not actively seeking any knowledge of him.

The fact that one man can be so ingrained in the mindset of Reading supporters elevates him to the status of "legend". Doesn't matter if he wasn't technically as good as other players or didn't contribute as much to the club as people like Parky (or even Gunnarsson). That would be my criteria anyway...

228 posts