Villa (H) Match Thread - Sponsored by "we move on"

325 posts
howser
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Villa (H) Match Thread - Sponsored by "we move on"

by howser » 09 Mar 2013 14:29

Just where the hell is Carrico ?? there is just no mention on any of the clubs "injury" updates even his wiki page amusingly says " rumoured to play for Reading" is he still in the country, just what is the deal with him or is this the most ludicrous signing we have ever made ?? or is this another "one for the future" as I have said before maybe we should have targeted the "ones for the now maybe" ??
Last edited by howser on 09 Mar 2013 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 09 Mar 2013 14:29

RFCSPACE
wolsey
RFCSPACE Same predictable bullshit as usual. I'll be genuinely amazed if we win this.

So what would you suggest as an alternative?

TBH, Leigertwood and Akpan as a midfield partnership is ineffective, Hunt isn't good enough, McAnuff hasn't been good enough lately (not to say he's bad, but he must be dropped if Pearce can be dropped for making a mistake) and McDermott's tactics appear to be limited.

----------------Taylor-----------------
Kelly----Pearce----Mariappa----Harte
McAnuff--Guthrie--Caricco--McCleary
-------------------HRK-------------------
----------------le Fondre---------------

Of course, I don't know why Caricco isn't playing, and given the absence of Kebe, McAnuff is our next best option, but we just need a new style. As everyone has said all season, if we kept the ball for periods we'd be under a lot less pressure and I'd bet any money we'd be better at it with a difference style in midfield.

Just my thoughts, and obviously irrelevant to today's game, but I just cannot see any improvement over the defeats to Wigan and Everton if we're doing exactly the same things. Glad Guthrie is back on the bench though.

Does it work on Football Manager? If so, JFDI Brian.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 09 Mar 2013 14:31

Mid Sussex Royal
See Wigan reserves winning 3-0 at Everton

Is their team much different from the one that beat us?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Mar 2013 14:32

Divvy
Mid Sussex Royal See Wigan reserves winning 3-0 at Everton

FA Cup. Who cares? A possible Wembley distraction could benefit us.

And renewed confidence for Wigan could benefit them.

jellytot

by jellytot » 09 Mar 2013 14:33

howser Just where the hell is Carrico ?? there is just no mention on any of the clubs "injury" updates even his wiki page amusingly says " rumoured to play for Reading" is he still in the country, just what is the deal with him or is this the most ludicrous signing we have ever made ?? or is this another "one for the future" as I have said before maybe we should have targeted the "ones for the now maybe" ??

Quite! Where were the host of PL experienced players we were going to get in Jan? Why did we leave the Gylfi offer (if real) to the last minute. We do not have the class. We just look to have already planned for the Championship next season. A few will be leaving if (when) we go down maybe BM too. Hope whether BM stays or not that he changes and decides to build a team that can pass the ball!!

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 09 Mar 2013 14:36

wolsey
RFCSPACE
wolsey So what would you suggest as an alternative?

TBH, Leigertwood and Akpan as a midfield partnership is ineffective, Hunt isn't good enough, McAnuff hasn't been good enough lately (not to say he's bad, but he must be dropped if Pearce can be dropped for making a mistake) and McDermott's tactics appear to be limited.

----------------Taylor-----------------
Kelly----Pearce----Mariappa----Harte
McAnuff--Guthrie--Caricco--McCleary
-------------------HRK-------------------
----------------le Fondre---------------

Of course, I don't know why Caricco isn't playing, and given the absence of Kebe, McAnuff is our next best option, but we just need a new style. As everyone has said all season, if we kept the ball for periods we'd be under a lot less pressure and I'd bet any money we'd be better at it with a difference style in midfield.

Just my thoughts, and obviously irrelevant to today's game, but I just cannot see any improvement over the defeats to Wigan and Everton if we're doing exactly the same things. Glad Guthrie is back on the bench though.

Does it work on Football Manager? If so, JFDI Brian.

I presume not as HRK would be out of position.

Just saying if we had Martinez, Laudrup, Rodgers etc. we wouldn't be seeing certain players failing week after week and something different might work.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Mar 2013 14:39

Happy with the team. Could argue the HRK/McCleary choice, but otherwise fine. Glad BM has stuck with Hunt rather than Blackman, he'll have a big game today.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Mar 2013 14:40

As when Coppell was here, we don't know how much money was made available - it's one thing to say "money is available" but if it's only £2.50 it's not going to get you very much. I cannot believe that two managers have had money to spend and decided not to spend more of it. I still don't think TSI are the saviours they've been made out to be. I know I'm quite a lone voice, but at least I'm consistent with my thoughts. I've seen nothing that proves to me that McD was given ENOUGH money to spend on bringing in more quality players. I mean, it's not Blackman's fault for example, but is buying a striker from Sheffield Utd REALLY what a manager should be doing in the January transfer window when relegation is a real possibility. Or perhaps the lack of enough money has meant that McD has, indeed, been purchasing for next season in the championship....

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 09 Mar 2013 14:41

jellytot
howser Just where the hell is Carrico ?? there is just no mention on any of the clubs "injury" updates even his wiki page amusingly says " rumoured to play for Reading" is he still in the country, just what is the deal with him or is this the most ludicrous signing we have ever made ?? or is this another "one for the future" as I have said before maybe we should have targeted the "ones for the now maybe" ??

Quite! Where were the host of PL experienced players we were going to get in Jan? Why did we leave the Gylfi offer (if real) to the last minute. We do not have the class. We just look to have already planned for the Championship next season. A few will be leaving if (when) we go down maybe BM too. Hope whether BM stays or not that he changes and decides to build a team that can pass the ball!!

So it would have been feasible to totally rebuild/reinvent our squad/playing style in the period between June and September?

We are what we are, an overachieving Championship squad playing to the best of their abilities (on a good day): relying on continuity, squad spirit and honesty. Not ready for Premier League football, but at the same time not embarrassing ourselves. (Well I'm not embarrassed)

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 09 Mar 2013 14:43

wolsey
jellytot

So it would have been feasible to totally rebuild/reinvent our squad/playing style in the period between June and September?

We are what we are, an overachieving Championship squad playing to the best of their abilities (on a good day): relying on continuity, squad spirit and honesty. Not ready for Premier League football, but at the same time not embarrassing ourselves. (Well I'm not embarrassed)

If it wasn't for QPR being this year's embarrassment, then I suspect it'd be different.

jellytot

by jellytot » 09 Mar 2013 14:45

We need to change the style this summer whether we stay up or go down. Some players have to get out. They have not made the step and never will. Others we should keep and bring in some players who like to keep and pass the ball rather than wacking forward aimlessly.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 09 Mar 2013 14:50

Royal Lady As when Coppell was here, we don't know how much money was made available - it's one thing to say "money is available" but if it's only £2.50 it's not going to get you very much. I cannot believe that two managers have had money to spend and decided not to spend more of it. I still don't think TSI are the saviours they've been made out to be. I know I'm quite a lone voice, but at least I'm consistent with my thoughts. I've seen nothing that proves to me that McD was given ENOUGH money to spend on bringing in more quality players. I mean, it's not Blackman's fault for example, but is buying a striker from Sheffield Utd REALLY what a manager should be doing in the January transfer window when relegation is a real possibility. Or perhaps the lack of enough money has meant that McD has, indeed, been purchasing for next season in the championship....

Quite,nobody could argue with that post.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 09 Mar 2013 14:51

RFCSPACE
If it wasn't for QPR being this year's embarrassment, then I suspect it'd be different.

Really? one point off of getting out of the bottom three after twenty eight games: spent no money, generally recognized as a hard working, but limited team with a never say die attitude.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx98o8_what-s-the-time-it-s-reading-time-02-02-13_sport#.UTtJhDCeOAY

We might get 30 points this season -At one point I would have been happy to beat Derby's record. No embarrasment for me I'm afraid.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 09 Mar 2013 14:51

wolsey
RFCSPACE

Really? one point off of getting out of the bottom three after twenty eight games: spent no money, generally recognized as a hard working, but limited team with a never say die attitude.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx98o8_what-s-the-time-it-s-reading-time-02-02-13_sport#.UTtJhDCeOAY

We might get 30 points this season -At one point I would have been happy to beat Derby's record. No embarrasment for me I'm afraid.

Agreed.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Mar 2013 14:54

ankeny
Royal Lady As when Coppell was here, we don't know how much money was made available - it's one thing to say "money is available" but if it's only £2.50 it's not going to get you very much. I cannot believe that two managers have had money to spend and decided not to spend more of it. I still don't think TSI are the saviours they've been made out to be. I know I'm quite a lone voice, but at least I'm consistent with my thoughts. I've seen nothing that proves to me that McD was given ENOUGH money to spend on bringing in more quality players. I mean, it's not Blackman's fault for example, but is buying a striker from Sheffield Utd REALLY what a manager should be doing in the January transfer window when relegation is a real possibility. Or perhaps the lack of enough money has meant that McD has, indeed, been purchasing for next season in the championship....

Quite,nobody could argue with that post.

No mention of the dreaded black hole. Remember how obsessed we all were with that? That's what TSI have done. We're staring relegation in the face and nobody's talking about financial issues. Happy days.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 09 Mar 2013 14:58

I see the lack of money argument has popped up again. We all know not enough was spent and our player aquisition strategy has been a joke, but nowt we can do about it now, Got to get on with it a hope for a miracle, and at risk of sounding like blue and white wig wearing, rumblestick holding happy clapper, we just have to support the team from now on. Lets save the inquest until the end of the season.

jellytot

by jellytot » 09 Mar 2013 15:02

Big Ern I see the lack of money argument has popped up again. We all know not enough was spent and our player aquisition strategy has been a joke, but nowt we can do about it now, Got to get on with it a hope for a miracle, and at risk of sounding like blue and white wig wearing, rumblestick holding happy clapper, we just have to support the team from now on. Lets save the inquest until the end of the season.

Fair enough points but for me if we fail to win today the inquest starts immediately following the game. Our next two games after villa will mean that Wigan, Saints and Villa will gain points on us and we will be 6 or 7 points back then and that for me is curtains.

Divvy

by Divvy » 09 Mar 2013 15:04

Anyone got a feed?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 09 Mar 2013 15:07

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 09 Mar 2013 15:07

jellytot
Big Ern I see the lack of money argument has popped up again. We all know not enough was spent and our player aquisition strategy has been a joke, but nowt we can do about it now, Got to get on with it a hope for a miracle, and at risk of sounding like blue and white wig wearing, rumblestick holding happy clapper, we just have to support the team from now on. Lets save the inquest until the end of the season.

Fair enough points but for me if we fail to win today the inquest starts immediately following the game. Our next two games after villa will mean that Wigan, Saints and Villa will gain points on us and we will be 6 or 7 points back then and that for me is curtains.

No it doesn't. The Management and the squad will look for ways to get as many points as possible from the next game(s)

People on here can self-combust and/or disappear up orifices that weren't designed for forced entry, but it really isn't going to make much difference.

325 posts