MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: This could work!

by floyd__streete » 12 Mar 2013 10:35

:|

I'll tell you what has been 'overlooked' here.....there are 9 games left. If this decision was to be made in December I'd understand it. To do so now is clueless and shambolic. Which many worth their salt would want to come here with 9 games left with the worst squad in the division which can't be improved upon by way of incoming transfers.

Once were Biscuitmen

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by Once were Biscuitmen » 12 Mar 2013 10:35

If we end up with an ex League one manager who is not given significant funds to re-engineer an aging, average championship team then we will have sacked a proven tier two manger for no good reason.

We have no divine right to be the Premiership if you look at our attendances, revenues, stadium capacity etc we are the definition of an upper mid table, tier two club.

If Anton wants to treat us like an indulgence rather than a business a la, Wigan, Fulham, Southamption, QPR etc then great if not……

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 12 Mar 2013 10:38

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 10:38

Man Friday I support a well-run club that has a soul.

Our souls have been running RFC for the last year

Esteban

by Esteban » 12 Mar 2013 10:40

floyd__streete :|

I'll tell you what has been 'overlooked' here.....there are 9 games left. If this decision was to be made in December I'd understand it. To do so now is clueless and shambolic. Which many worth their salt would want to come here with 9 games left with the worst squad in the division which can't be improved upon by way of incoming transfers.

This. ^^^^

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 12 Mar 2013 10:42

+1 to above

Is this the quickest someone has been sacked after winning manager of the month?

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 12 Mar 2013 10:43

I'll probably get hounded for this but stop letting the fact Brian is a nice get in the way of your thinking.

I still think we fluked promotion last year getting outplayed by most teams, for us to then score on the break. Brian will not take us any further because of his terrible footballing philosophy.

I don't care what our resources were, we've been comprehensively outplayed by ever single. Its just inexcusable that Wigan and Villa have both done the double on us.

Wolves dropped like a stop because they gave Terry Conners the job and gave jobs to useless managers, I severely doubt we are going to do the same thing as Gibbs has been given the boot as well).

Medusa?

by Medusa? » 12 Mar 2013 10:46

Man Friday sums it up very well...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ear ... 56440.html

Those fans thinking this is a good move, well, this is the beginning of the end for RFC. We've had 20 good years and we're just about to enter the football wilderness alongside Wolves, Blackburn, Sheffield Utd, etc.

I'm not wasting my hard-earned money on Zingy's little project that's for sure.

See ya suckers!

Yea - wot he said.

The whole season it has been hard to work out whether we were really trying to make an impact, to just scrape by to get the next season, or to enjoy the ride and go back down with some experience next season to try it all again. I think the timing of this would suggest the latter, but now the true impact of relegation is real, someone has lost their nerve.

I hope it's part of a plan to get someone specific in (no names suggested) - but I don't think we've got it that worked out

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 12 Mar 2013 10:46

Once were Biscuitmen If we end up with an ex League one manager who is not given significant funds to re-engineer an aging, average championship team then we will have sacked a proven tier two manger for no good reason.

We have no divine right to be the Premiership if you look at our attendances, revenues, stadium capacity etc we are the definition of an upper mid table, tier two club.

If Anton wants to treat us like an indulgence rather than a business a la, Wigan, Fulham, Southamption, QPR etc then great if not……

Shut up you bellend. More small club mentality! We have every right to be a PL club!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Mar 2013 10:48

Royal91 I'll probably get hounded for this but stop letting the fact Brian is a nice get in the way of your thinking.

I still think we fluked promotion last year getting outplayed by most teams, for us to then score on the break. Brian will not take us any further because of his terrible footballing philosophy.

I don't care what our resources were, we've been comprehensively outplayed by ever single. Its just inexcusable that Wigan and Villa have both done the double on us.

Wolves dropped like a stop because they gave Terry Conners the job and gave jobs to useless managers, I severely doubt we are going to do the same thing as Gibbs has been given the boot as well).

Yeah we've got Dolan in charge instead for the time being. :roll:

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 12 Mar 2013 10:48

Royal91 I'll probably get hounded for this but stop letting the fact Brian is a nice get in the way of your thinking.

Let me just get this clear: last year we were successful, though this was nothing to do with the manager. This year we are not successful, and it is entirely the manager's fault? What well balanced thinking you have.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 12 Mar 2013 10:49

mr_number There's just so little identity left within the club. If you want results, you may as well go to any other the other identikit teams with modern out of town stadiums, with players and staff with no ties to the club, trying to spend their way to being a mid table premiership team, and pick whichever one's doing well at the time.
Supporting a football team is about being sentimental, it is about being emotional, otherwise, what is it that you're caring about? I don't go and cheer on businesses on the high street. I cheer on a football club because it's meant to be more than a business. But clearly not.
Agreed 100%. Drop me out.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Mar 2013 10:52

melonhead
Norfolk Royal Anyone who thins McD should not have been sacked has not watched our games recently. Also, they should remember that there is no other club in the Premier League with the possible exception of Wigan, who would have given him so much time.

funnily enough, its this difference between us and other clubs that made me so proud to be a reading fan

Pride goeth before a fall in this instance unfortunately. At what point does pride fail you, when we're in the Rymans?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 Mar 2013 10:56

Royal91 I still think we fluked promotion last year getting outplayed by most teams

:lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Mar 2013 10:58

I actually LOL'd on re-reading the club st8ment: "The search for a successor will start immediately and it is hoped that a new Manager will be in place as soon as possible to lead the fight against potential relegation."

Potential relegation? Oh, ya reckon?

Joke of a football club. Always has been, always will be.

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 12 Mar 2013 10:59

floyd__streete I actually LOL'd on re-reading the club st8ment: "The search for a successor will start immediately and it is hoped that a new Manager will be in place as soon as possible to lead the fight against potential relegation."

You wouldn't have it any other way though would you...

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Mar 2013 11:00

Whether you think the sacking (or timing thereof) is wrong, does anyone disagree that the style of football employed by Brian is outdated, predictable and more often than not horrible to watch (even when we win)? Anyone?

In order for the club to establish itself at the upper end of the Chump (or hopefully higher in the medium term), we need to change to a more modern, flexible passing style with more posession - and that starts with the manager coaching and assembling the right squad to do that.

The timing of the sacking gives the next guy maybe 5 or more COMPETITIVE games in order to assess the playing staff in order to make important, early moves over the summer to push on next year.

Love Brian, but this is exactly whats needed. These news articles slagging us off are missing the point. AZ knows we're almost certain for the drop - it's not about keeping us up now, it's about getting us back up.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Mar 2013 11:00

floyd__streete :|

Any manager that see's us a genuinely good club to manage in the Championship obviously. The kind of manager who thinks his influence might just give a squad a short term boost to win two or three games and make a valiant attempt at staying up.

Coppell always used to say that the way you finished a season had a big bearing on the way you started the next. Keeping McDermott in charge now, as we're pretty much certain to be relegated and getting worse not better, probably doesn't give those that matter much faith for next season and beyond.

It's quite possible that they decided some time ago that after the Villa game was the perfect time to assess the situation. If we'd won both, or perhaps just one, of the two six pointers I'm pretty sure he'd still be in a job.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Mar 2013 11:01

BraisingsteakRoyal Whether you think the sacking (or timing thereof) is wrong, does anyone disagree that the style of football employed by Brian is outdated, predictable and more often than not horrible to watch (even when we win)? Anyone?

brian played the system and tactics that most suited the players he had at his disposal

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Mar 2013 11:02

floyd__streete I actually LOL'd on re-reading the club st8ment: "The search for a successor will start immediately and it is hoped that a new Manager will be in place as soon as possible to lead the fight against potential relegation."

Most of us know we're almost certainly down. So do the club.

But we're four points from the drop with 27 available - would you rather they came out and said "We're writing this season off".

714 posts