Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Next Reading Manager

by WoodleyRoyal » 12 Mar 2013 14:49

Why Brian McDermott is the perfect manager to replace Brian McDermott

If Anton Zingarevich’s masterplan is to sack Brian McDermott and replace him with Paolo di Canio, then the next six months are going to be a lot of fun. McDermott was modest, decent and likeable. Di Canio speaks about himself in the third person, could start a fight in a nunnery and thinks Benito Mussolini was a ‘very principled individual.’ This is like bringing a dragon in through the gates to protect the castle. Sure, it might scare a few people off, but what the hell are you going to do when it gets hungry?

What exactly did Zingarevich expect from McDermott? He spent just £5m on signings in the summer and another £2m in January. Reading are going down? Of course they’re going down! The fact that they are still in with a chance of survival is a testament to the manager’s abilities. The Reading players respect him, they’re a stable, determined unit in spite of their obvious limitations at this level. If anything, McDermott hastened his own demise just by getting them promoted. If he’d missed out in the play-offs again last season and was pushing for them again now, he’d still be in employment.

It was nice of the club not just to shatter the man’s dreams and rob him of his job, but also to urinate all over his legacy with a snide press statement that devastated with feint praise.

“Brian gained promotion to the Premier League last year for only the second time in the club's history thanks to a remarkable run at the end of last season,” said the club.

Translation: “Brian fluked his way to the Premier League last year for only the second time in the club’s history thanks to a freakish run at the end of the last season which spoiled our new owner’s attempt to hire someone of whom he’d actually heard.” Classy.

Yes, he’d just lost four games on the bounce and, yes, he looked like a face drawn on the end of a thumb. But if the former was a crime, why not sack him in December when he lost seven, and if the latter is a crime, then how is David Platt still in a job?

If Reading had gone down this season, they would have slipped beneath the waves without thrashing around in a panic, because they are well set for a swift return.

They haven’t over-invested, they aren’t overburdened by wages and there is no need for an overhaul of personnel. Four years of parachute payments would have provided the softest of landings.

If Di Canio is installed then you can expect a chaotic revolution and a swift turnaround of players. There is a chance that the dramatic change of pace will shock the squad into a short run of form, but it’s more likely to terrify them into a catatonic state.

This isn’t a long-term strategy, it’s a desperate hail mary pass. Even if Zingarevich hires Roberto di Matteo, and you’d suspect that the current Champions League winning manager might have better things to do with his time than paddle around in the backwaters of Berkshire, it would make little difference. There just isn’t the time or the quality to pull Reading out of this dive.

Don’t feel too sorry for McDermott though. Ironically, Reading will only realise this summer that they’ve just sacked the perfect manager for the rebuilding programme. What they really need, you see, is someone who knows the division inside-out, who has an eye for a player, who can build and bond a squad and who is respected by everyone. With a wig, a false moustache and the assumed name of Benito McDermotti, he’s got every chance of getting his old job back.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 12 Mar 2013 14:59

I wish Salako would just shut up advocating Di Canio.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 12 Mar 2013 14:59

reading_fan
TommyF Impeccable? He lost more games than he won and had a net transfer spend of around £30m.

I know, how rubbish is Curbishley that in 585 PREMIERSHIP games, he only won 39% (38.5 CA, 41% WHU)
Useless compared to.....
David Moyes (42% at Everton)
Tony Pulis (35% at Stoke)
Roberto Martínez (28% at Wigan)
Alan Pardew (38% at Newcastle)
Martin O'Neill (42% at Villa, 33% at Sunderland)
Steve Clarke (42.5% at West Brom)

I threw in Wigan for comparison here. These were all achieved in Prem and NOT League two!

Very few managers achieve more than 50% wins. Harry Redknapp has career statistics of 40.5% and he gets seen as a miracle worker

A little perspective helps

My biggest concern over Curbishley is that he has been out of the game for about five years now. Is he still up to date with current players, new prospects and tactics?[/quote]
I have a feeling he didn't start knitting and stop watching football.

We just don't know what he knows and he isn't my first choice as a manager unless the whole plan is to try a desperate plan to keep us up - and then I'd only want him overpaid until the end of the season. Di Matteo and Adkins would be my first choices (after McDermott that is). I just think anyone who doesn't think Curbs is capable aren't given him the credit he's due

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 12 Mar 2013 15:01

WoodleyRoyal Why Brian McDermott is the perfect manager to replace Brian McDermott

If Anton Zingarevich’s masterplan is to sack Brian McDermott and replace him with Paolo di Canio, then the next six months are going to be a lot of fun. McDermott was modest, decent and likeable. Di Canio speaks about himself in the third person, could start a fight in a nunnery and thinks Benito Mussolini was a ‘very principled individual.’ This is like bringing a dragon in through the gates to protect the castle. Sure, it might scare a few people off, but what the hell are you going to do when it gets hungry?

What exactly did Zingarevich expect from McDermott? He spent just £5m on signings in the summer and another £2m in January. Reading are going down? Of course they’re going down! The fact that they are still in with a chance of survival is a testament to the manager’s abilities. The Reading players respect him, they’re a stable, determined unit in spite of their obvious limitations at this level. If anything, McDermott hastened his own demise just by getting them promoted. If he’d missed out in the play-offs again last season and was pushing for them again now, he’d still be in employment.

It was nice of the club not just to shatter the man’s dreams and rob him of his job, but also to urinate all over his legacy with a snide press statement that devastated with feint praise.

“Brian gained promotion to the Premier League last year for only the second time in the club's history thanks to a remarkable run at the end of last season,” said the club.

Translation: “Brian fluked his way to the Premier League last year for only the second time in the club’s history thanks to a freakish run at the end of the last season which spoiled our new owner’s attempt to hire someone of whom he’d actually heard.” Classy.

Yes, he’d just lost four games on the bounce and, yes, he looked like a face drawn on the end of a thumb. But if the former was a crime, why not sack him in December when he lost seven, and if the latter is a crime, then how is David Platt still in a job?

If Reading had gone down this season, they would have slipped beneath the waves without thrashing around in a panic, because they are well set for a swift return.

They haven’t over-invested, they aren’t overburdened by wages and there is no need for an overhaul of personnel. Four years of parachute payments would have provided the softest of landings.

If Di Canio is installed then you can expect a chaotic revolution and a swift turnaround of players. There is a chance that the dramatic change of pace will shock the squad into a short run of form, but it’s more likely to terrify them into a catatonic state.

This isn’t a long-term strategy, it’s a desperate hail mary pass. Even if Zingarevich hires Roberto di Matteo, and you’d suspect that the current Champions League winning manager might have better things to do with his time than paddle around in the backwaters of Berkshire, it would make little difference. There just isn’t the time or the quality to pull Reading out of this dive.

Don’t feel too sorry for McDermott though. Ironically, Reading will only realise this summer that they’ve just sacked the perfect manager for the rebuilding programme. What they really need, you see, is someone who knows the division inside-out, who has an eye for a player, who can build and bond a squad and who is respected by everyone. With a wig, a false moustache and the assumed name of Benito McDermotti, he’s got every chance of getting his old job back.

I name you Iain Macintosh

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 12 Mar 2013 15:01

:lol: Benito McDermotti IN!

RoyalSheep

by RoyalSheep » 12 Mar 2013 15:06

Sir Steve has just gone from 50/1 to 20/1 on Sky Bet!

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 12 Mar 2013 15:08

RoyalSheep Sir Steve has just gone from 50/1 to 20/1 on Sky Bet!

Would be a disaster. Please don't come back Steve. Ill even go to the DoF car park space at Crawley.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 12 Mar 2013 15:09

What about Parky?

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 12 Mar 2013 15:10

ManchesterRoyals What about Parky?

About Steve Coppell coming back as manager for a second time.

8)

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 12 Mar 2013 15:11

parky

No i meant Parky as manager :D
Last edited by ManchesterRoyals on 12 Mar 2013 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Mar 2013 15:11

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Silver Fox I'm fairly sure he doesn't know what impeccable means

7wins from 9 games saving them from certain relegation
Next season top 10 finish from a side previously being dead certs for relegation despite key injuries
A good start to following season before he left.

I recommend freedictionary.com mate.

Cheers for the advice mate, here's their definition

im·pec·ca·ble (m-pk-bl)
adj.
1. Having no flaws; perfect. See Synonyms at perfect.
2. Incapable of sin or wrongdoing.

Oops

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 12 Mar 2013 15:14

ManchesterRoyals
parky

No i meant Parky as manager :D

I decided not to apply this time.

See earlier in the thread :arrow:

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 12 Mar 2013 15:30

I don't want to upset anyone but I just saw a Tiger tank trying to drive through the McDonald's Drive Thru. I think Paolo is here for his interview :lol:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Mar 2013 16:02

Tiger tanks were German weren't they? I think the Italians used a smaller tank in North Africa. The one with the reverse gear.

yuomi

by yuomi » 12 Mar 2013 16:06

Norfolk Royal Tiger tanks were German weren't they? I think the Italians used a smaller tank in North Africa. The one with the reverse gear.

the P40, yep.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 12 Mar 2013 16:09

yuomi
Norfolk Royal Tiger tanks were German weren't they? I think the Italians used a smaller tank in North Africa. The one with the reverse gear.

the P40, yep.

I bow to your knowledge of Italian tanks gents.......... although I am pretty certain most were melted down as tin openers due to their lack of use.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Mar 2013 16:21

Far from it, the fighting between the British and the Italians in North Africa was fierce initially until we got the upper hand eventually. The Brits were, initially, very complimentary about the fighting ability of the Italian soldier.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Mar 2013 16:30

maffff I wish advocat in

Good call

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 12 Mar 2013 16:32

Pepe the Horseman
maffff I wish advocat in