MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
barelylubedcock

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by barelylubedcock » 12 Mar 2013 16:15

floyd__streete
ManchesterRoyals Interesting reading

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -here.html

^ what a dog-sh*t article that is. Having a cheap shot at McD going back to 442 from 451 in recent weeks completely ignores the fact that Pog's suspension has taken away the only credible 'lone striker' option we have :|

Is it not an excuse to put out photos of AZ's wife?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Mar 2013 16:18

pretty much. says nothing of any note except- look at his wife, isnt she nice

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 Mar 2013 16:20

Terrible article

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 12 Mar 2013 16:21

Agent Balti
Jano Fordham just confirmed on twitter that the Greek coach brought in from Ajax has also left. Strange.

Not really. He's clearly had zero effect on the playing style of the team along with Brian and Nigel, so may as well dispatch him also. (Also, if the new incumbent has his own ideas then he'd likely be off anyway.)

I think it clearts the way for the new boss to bring in his entire backroom team.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Mar 2013 16:23

Vision AZ is understandably getting some stick over this but we need to hold fire a little bit before totally condemning him completely as a knee jerking kid in a toyshop.

If that were the case then I think McD would have been sacked before the last transfer window. He wasn't despite things not being a whole lot bleaker then than they are now. In fact he was given the transfer window and some money in order to effect a positive change. Our subsequent burst of form in January made that decision look like the right one. I also think it's another reason why the decision to axe now was a difficult one and not a knee jerk one.

People say the timing is all wrong but there's never really a right time to sack a manager. As an owner you do it (hopefully) because you realise that the current one cannot give you what you think the club are capable of going forward. My hope is that in doing this now it signals that AZ has a long term managerial plan for Reading. If we were solely looking at giving ourselves a chance of bouncing back next season should we be relegated (and the timing now means that there is a small chance of an instant pick me up from a new face) then we'd have been as well in keeping McD who we know can challenge at the top end.

I'm an optimist at heart so it's natural for me to hope that far from being an "Abromovich Lite" this could actually be a sign that AZ has his own long term plan that just happens to be a step away from the one that's given us a club to be proud of on and off the field for the last decade or more.

All that being said, I hate that people can so easily disregard the achievements of someone as genuine as McDermott . I've rarely supported a sacking at this club not even TB2 who was given more than enough time. I didn't want Rodgers sacked either and neither of those two had earned the right for loyalty by previous good deeds for us as McD has.

I hate what modern football has become at the top level but sadly modern football is what we are faced with. I can only hope that if the club can move forwards in the modern era in a way that doesn't completely lose sight of certain values that I believe are still important.

I'm not sure football has ever really been any different Vision, managers and players have always been moved in and out quite freely. Perhaps it's a bit more common place and all a bit more short term and immediate, but essentially I don't think it's changed that much. Fail and you're out.

I totally agree with your view on this not being a knee-jerk decision though. It's far from that in my opinion as he's been given a lot of time to get things right and it just didn't happen. The last two home games were probably make or break and there can be no doubt it was break!

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 12 Mar 2013 16:24

Maguire Terrible article

Daily Mail in rubbish journalism shocker.

(Thanks for reading it so the rest of us don't have to.)

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 12 Mar 2013 16:25

mr_number
Maguire Terrible article

All about opinions, I liked it.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 12 Mar 2013 16:27

windermere_royal
mr_number
Maguire Terrible article

All about opinions, I liked it.

??

It tried to suggest that Brian got sacked for being bald and fat on the basis that AZ has a hot wife. Ridiculous.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Mar 2013 16:29

It wouldn't be the first time a bald fat man has been disenfranchised by a hot wife tbf.

yappy

by yappy » 12 Mar 2013 16:32

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but Anton has described the sacking as 'the hardest decision of his life'

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/the-hardest-decision-709898.aspx

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 16:37

yappy Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but Anton has described the sacking as 'the hardest decision of his life'

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/the-hardest-decision-709898.aspx

Not that surprising, given that his second hardest decision was "Which hole do I go in, Katsia?"

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 12 Mar 2013 16:46

Currently thinking of slinging one up Katsia's back doors then when AZ gets home from work I will say

'Sorry Tony but you have taken Katsia as far as you can, I am taking ownership of her now, no hard feelings (except in my pants)'

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 16:54

Yet more bad news today for the under-performing McDermott

http://tinyurl.com/cfp6gaj

thirtyyarder

by thirtyyarder » 12 Mar 2013 17:03

While we can all sit around discussing whether Brian should have been sacked or not, I think that we can all agree there are arguements for both sides. The key point here has to be patience. Someone, I think Floyd, mentioned that if we have 9 games of Dolan then he would LOL. However if we have an excellent replacement lined up who cant join us until the summer, but will still have constant input into whats happening in the team, potential recruitment and so on, there would be no problem for me. Likewise with an appointment now that indicates long term planning and growth for the club.

The real dissapointing thing for me would be a quick replacement who has the goal of trying to get us to stay up and thats it. Short-termism just isnt the way forward for a club like us.

I think we will now see what TSI are really about, I would like to remain with a club that I can be proud to support. I think that we just have to wait and see what happens over the next year and a half.

Or we could just go and take a collective shit in Anton's parking space.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 12 Mar 2013 17:07

I vote

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 12 Mar 2013 17:16

thirtyyarder Or we could just go and take a collective shit in Anton's parking space.

Huh. I thought we agreed just to send threateningly explicit letters to Katsia. I have to say, I feel a bit foolish now.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Mar 2013 18:17

Vision
Maguire
BraisingsteakRoyal In order for the club to establish itself at the upper end of the Chump (or hopefully higher in the medium term), we need to change to a more modern, flexible passing style with more posession

We've been established at the upper end of "the Chump" for ages haven't we?

Champions 06/07, Prem, Prem, Play-offs, about 9th, Play-off Final, Champions, Prem

It's a total myth that the upper echelons of the Championship are populated by a load of mini Barcelonas tiki-takaing their way through rainy away days in Barnsley and Middlesbrough.

We don't gain much possession this season because our players aren't very good. This has been the club's greatest failing rather than Brian championing some form of anti-football.

Yep. I think we've only had one season since we got promoted to the Championship a decade ago where we didn't go into the last game of the season without the possibility of playing top flight football the next season. It's been a remarkably consistent run yet the way some people talk on here it's as if no-one at the club has had a oxf*rd clue and we've fluked every season.

vision,
This is what you said and I take issue with your "fluked every season" and in a later post you say that some people even thought the 106 was a fluke.
You may find some obscure idiot of a poster such as Ideal or the like who said that the 106 was a fluke but I can't remember anybody.
Last season we scraped promotion but in building a side capable of winning the championship we failed to build a side for the Premier League whereas the 106 side was ready and very much able.

You also seem confused by what I or other posters say about our club.
Presumably people posting on here want the best for RFC-you (and the likes of melonhead) always seem content that whatever the club is doing is fine whereas others are hoping that the club will strive to improve in all areas,on and off the pitch and in the academy.
As I see it the club has thrown away this wonderful opportunity to be a Premier league club and for that I will criticise the club and those involved.
That is far from saying that the last decade has been unappreciated or enjoyed nor everything fluked.
You,like most,make far too many assumptions about other posters to justify an argument.

Divvy

by Divvy » 12 Mar 2013 19:31

Big Mac...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Mar 2013 19:39

Man Friday
Agent Balti Brian paid the price for not winning games.

And why didn't he win games? Because he wasn't given anywhere near enough money to invest in new/better players.

What's th epoint of Zingy if he's not going to invest properly.

You're privy to the inner financial workings of the football club are you?

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 12 Mar 2013 21:09

Don't really come on here as you're all pathetic.

GREAT NEWS THOUGH, but 3 months late.

Bye

714 posts