royalsteve

Re: Poll -next manager

by royalsteve » 12 Mar 2013 18:44

di matteo or poyet

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 12 Mar 2013 18:55

I'd like to have the Swansea chairman pick our next manager.

Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup.

Thre forward thinking choices.

Most of the names suggested don't appear to be any better than McDermott, other than possibly Poyet.

I feel McDermott's main trouble was he couldnt deal with Premierleague Egos, or couldnt pick out players who would work at PL level.

Pog, took a while to work out how to incorporate him.
Guthrie, didnt ever 'manage' him effectively.

He has signed players who don't seem to be ready at this level Carrico, Blackman, McCleary.

He hasn't made an effective use of player recruitment to keep the job.

So i feel we need someone who would definitely be able to attract players of a Premierleague ilk *next time we get promoted*. We are down, basically, so when we start next season we need someone who will not only get us up but be a PL level manager when he gets there. BM was an unbelievable Championship manager, but not a PL one. If we get another champ manager we will struggle again when / if we get back up.

Either way i want someon who is fresh, Solskaer, or a European manager with good footballing mentality. I'm sure there must be a few decent German / Dutch managers knocking around, Jol came out of knowhere to the English media, as did Santini, and Wenger, and Laudrup. If we have a decent scouting network there will be managers out there. We don't have to pick someone becuase they are known in England. Or because they had success down the M4.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 12 Mar 2013 18:58

Di Canio for me. I believe he can attract some quality players for next season and he likes to play football the Swansea way.

Also, he just might be able to get the best out of the few premiership quality players that we have in our fight for survival.

The only worry is that if he does well he will p**s off to West Ham.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 12 Mar 2013 19:09

I would like it to be Gary Neville, he talks a lot of sense, great pedigree as a player who have the respect of his players. And as a bonus he's analysed our shambles of defence all season and would know how to put it right.
I'm not sure if he has his coaching badges.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Mar 2013 20:46

Z175 I don't get why a third of people want Adkins when half were happy to hound poor Brian out. Who won the championship? And who spent 35million this year?

He's won three promotions, survived one relegation with a club most would have written off, was looking like he had a good chance of surviving another - doing a better job than McDermott was at the same level and has been involved in a third he lost. His sides play decent football. He's intelligent and he's articulate. He's worked his way up to become a manager and he should understand fitness and injuries from his time as a physio.

He's free at the moment and he'll bring new perspective.

And Brian wasn't hounded out. There only seemed to be significant boos starting in the last two or three games.

Is that a reasonable start?

PeteH1985

by PeteH1985 » 13 Mar 2013 01:39

Di matteo or Adkins

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 13 Mar 2013 07:37

leon
Caversham Royal My wife wants Jamie Cureton to get his coaching qualifications and come back as manager. I've told her she's being shallow......

isn't your wife a bit old? :shock:

She once trampled over several teenagers to get her picture taken with Jamie. He smelt nice apparaently. As good a qualification as any for managing Reading these days.....

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 Mar 2013 08:00

There's one name missing from the list

AZ himself, after all everyone's been banging on about how he knows football, how he has a passion for the job, etc.

Maybe he'll manage the team, it's not like he's got another day job.

It would be following in the fine tradition of previous Eastern European owners too

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 13 Mar 2013 08:53

Greatwesternline I'd like to have the Swansea chairman pick our next manager.

Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup.

Thre forward thinking choices.

Most of the names suggested don't appear to be any better than McDermott, other than possibly Poyet.

I feel McDermott's main trouble was he couldnt deal with Premierleague Egos, or couldnt pick out players who would work at PL level.

Pog, took a while to work out how to incorporate him.
Guthrie, didnt ever 'manage' him effectively.

He has signed players who don't seem to be ready at this level Carrico, Blackman, McCleary.

He hasn't made an effective use of player recruitment to keep the job.

So i feel we need someone who would definitely be able to attract players of a Premierleague ilk *next time we get promoted*. We are down, basically, so when we start next season we need someone who will not only get us up but be a PL level manager when he gets there. BM was an unbelievable Championship manager, but not a PL one. If we get another champ manager we will struggle again when / if we get back up.

Either way i want someon who is fresh, Solskaer, or a European manager with good footballing mentality. I'm sure there must be a few decent German / Dutch managers knocking around, Jol came out of knowhere to the English media, as did Santini, and Wenger, and Laudrup. If we have a decent scouting network there will be managers out there. We don't have to pick someone becuase they are known in England. Or because they had success down the M4.

Good post although you've missed a manager out of that little Swansea list.

There really isn't a blueprint for success. If there was everyone would do it and there would still only be one champion and 3 teams would still get relegated. What Swansea have done is have a long term plan that works for them and stick to it with their managerial appointments. It's a different playing style to us for sure but isn't that basically what we've been doing since we appointed Pardew. Employing managers that fit in with the philosophy of our club and the way we do things?.

The exception to that was Rodgers which was an opportunity to redefine our way in style on the pitch at least.
We'll never know how that would have turned out because we got jittery and lost our nerve and Rodgers just made too many mistakes (and enemies).

Also worth remembering where Swansea were when Martinez took the reigns there. I don't think it's stretching the point that much to sugges his influence on changing the culture of that club isn't far off that of Wenger at Arsenal. The fact that he (and the Swansea board) had the bravery to do it from the lower reaches upwards makes it all the more impressive.

The problem we would have is that the pressure to bounce straight back up would be massively on us. If saving us from relegation, getting to a play off final and winning the Championship isn't enough to earn a manager a full season fighting against the odds in the top league then I'm not sure how much time would be afforded to someone fresh through the door with new ideas when there's so much at stake financially in the short term.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 13 Mar 2013 09:44

What if AZ decides to step into management? He got a taste of it pre season now hes hungry for fame.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Mar 2013 10:11

HoneyRoastHoax What if AZ decides to step into management? He got a taste of it pre season now hes hungry for fame.

:shock: Ha! and then he thinks, "why spend all that money on a new striker, when we've got me!" *Boots go on.*

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 Mar 2013 10:23

Royal Ginger
HoneyRoastHoax What if AZ decides to step into management? He got a taste of it pre season now hes hungry for fame.

:shock: Ha! and then he thinks, "why spend all that money on a new striker, when we've got me!" *Boots go on.*

AZ for player manager!!!!

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 13 Mar 2013 10:31

He wants it.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 10:45

blythspartan Di Canio for me. I believe he can attract some quality players for next season and he likes to play football the Swansea way.
Also, he just might be able to get the best out of the few premiership quality players that we have in our fight for survival.

really h8 this idea that the only way to succeed in football is to follow swansea

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 13 Mar 2013 10:46

AZ for manager would be sweet revenge for BM, real players, crossing the real white line, playing real football, for real points! It would serve him right, a bit like all the 'Johnny Come Lately' experts who pontificate about how the game should be played and by whom and how BM got it so, so very wrong. Based presumably on fantasy football or league manager success and dextrous thumbs! :roll:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 10:47

Ian Royal
Z175 I don't get why a third of people want Adkins when half were happy to hound poor Brian out. Who won the championship? And who spent 35million this year?

He's won three promotions, survived one relegation with a club most would have written off, was looking like he had a good chance of surviving another - doing a better job than McDermott was at the same level and has been involved in a third he lost. His sides play decent football. He's intelligent and he's articulate. He's worked his way up to become a manager and he should understand fitness and injuries from his time as a physio.

He's free at the moment and he'll bring new perspective.

And Brian wasn't hounded out. There only seemed to be significant boos starting in the last two or three games.

lol at that last sentence.
yes, there were significant boos in the last couple of games, and then he was sacked.
why is it you cant see that as some sort of link?

also lol at adkins doing a much better job than brian.
he spent 35 million quid. id oxf*rd well hope so

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Mar 2013 10:53

melonhead
blythspartan Di Canio for me. I believe he can attract some quality players for next season and he likes to play football the Swansea way.

really h8 this idea that the only way to succeed in football is to follow swansea

I think 'the Swansea way' is just a description of passing football in general, which has to be desirable. Surely you want to see more than our 'direct' style once in a while?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 Mar 2013 11:05

Eaststandman AZ for manager would be sweet revenge for BM, real players, crossing the real white line, playing real football, for real points! It would serve him right, a bit like all the 'Johnny Come Lately' experts who pontificate about how the game should be played and by whom and how BM got it so, so very wrong. Based presumably on fantasy football or league manager success and dextrous thumbs! :roll:

He may have played a game in the park once too.

Expect the introduction of a rush goalie as a tactic

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 13 Mar 2013 11:11

Uke
Eaststandman AZ for manager would be sweet revenge for BM, real players, crossing the real white line, playing real football, for real points! It would serve him right, a bit like all the 'Johnny Come Lately' experts who pontificate about how the game should be played and by whom and how BM got it so, so very wrong. Based presumably on fantasy football or league manager success and dextrous thumbs! :roll:

He may have played a game in the park once too.

Expect the introduction of a rush goalie as a tactic

"Jumpers for goalposts" 17 a side, rush goalies and a scuffed leather ball.......those were the days! :lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 11:14

Sanguine
melonhead

I think 'the Swansea way' is just a description of passing football in general, which has to be desirable. Surely you want to see more than our 'direct' style once in a while?

id certainly like to be able to hold and pass the ball better.
that comes from players who can pass, not systems or tactics.
personally i like the quick counter attacking wing play that is our style, and pretty much always has been while ive watched us.
i dont like watching swansea pass the ball around in utterly dull fashion for 9/10 of the game.
with the odd goal walked into the net. (rodgers football, not laudrup- who seems to have shifted the emphasis forward slightly and i much prefer them now)
though id obviusly like some of their success, and if we have to do a bit more of that to get it ill just grumble quietly to myself about it.

123 posts