Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Reading Manager

by 3 veesinarow » 13 Mar 2013 16:32

Sanguine Can someone explain the ‘Adkins is a tool’ thing?

Just I’ve never felt he’s come across as a tool – is this another Rodgers/Pardew thing, where we call someone a tool because they aren’t humble, shrinking violets like McDermott and Coppell?

This. Haven't a scooby where the hatred comes from.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 13 Mar 2013 16:33

^ Me either.

A bit cocky, but so am I tbf

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 13 Mar 2013 16:36

MmmMonsterMunch
P!ssed Off People might say it's "a shambles", "we're playing Man Utd in a few days", "we should have had a manager ready"

Has anyone considered the fact that the next two games, Man Utd away and Arsenal away are unwinnable?
Tbh it is virtually irrelevant who takes charge of these two games, whether it is the Academy manager, the kit man or the average fan.

The next winnable game is Southampton at home on Sat 6th April; from McDermott's sacking this is almost 1 month. Ideally the new manager should have 2 weeks minimum to train with the squad and decide on team selection/tactics.
This gives the Reading Board up to 2 weeks to find and sign a new boss, there really is no rush and we do not need to panic that a new boss was not ready to come in.

If anything a caretaker boss for the next two games may be a positive. A period of transition will allow the fans and players angry about McDermott's sacking time to cool off, so that they will be able to get behind the new boss when he comes in.

Looking at the fixture list, if we were to get rid of McDermott between now and the end of the season, then right now would've been the time to do it. The board's timing has been spot on, imo. Of the last 7 games, 5 are realistically winnable. All is not lost.

If Eamonn somehow gets some points from the 2 games, he'll get the job for the rest of the season IMO.

I honestly do not think so. Imagine if Dolan did the unthinkable and managed to get us 4 points from the next 2 games. If he was then hired and went on to lose the remaining 7 or get very few points the Reading Board and Zingarevich would look like fools. I believe the club wish to get in a name bigger than McDermott to rejuvenate the club for the last 7 games, after the next two. Quite frankly Eamonn Dolan is not the name to do so.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 13 Mar 2013 16:43

All games are potentially winnable!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Mar 2013 16:44

Yes I suppose you're right about ED. Part of me would love him to do a Brian-esque run & snatch survival on the last day at Upton Park.....

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 13 Mar 2013 16:48

[If Anton no longer feels Brian is up to the mark then he is absolutely right to get rid of him.

I'd much rather he did that than negotiate with other managers behind his back and string him along in the meantime.[/quote]

See, and I would have no issue if the board negotiated with another manager behind the now sacked manager's back. It would show having some kind of plan. I much prefer at least having a plan to complete capriciousness...[/quote]

No disrespect Libertine, but that is the American business way of doing things. I worked for an American company years ago and my boss saw his own job advertised in the newspaper. Then he knew the writing was on the wall; - nice chap too.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 13 Mar 2013 16:50

3 veesinarow
Sanguine Can someone explain the ‘Adkins is a tool’ thing?

Just I’ve never felt he’s come across as a tool – is this another Rodgers/Pardew thing, where we call someone a tool because they aren’t humble, shrinking violets like McDermott and Coppell?

This. Haven't a scooby where the hatred comes from.

Probably as he didn't praise us last season, but was full of praise and positive comments about his own team. Strange that.

His "Southamton deserved to be Champions " comment last season enraged a few on here, then again, he was hardly going to say that his lot were second best.

The moment any manager or pundit says anything slightly derrogative about the club, or something that was not full of glowing praise for us, he is immediately labeled a pcunt.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Mar 2013 17:00

I just have a feeling it's going to be Poyet we go for. He was just on SSN talking about BM going.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Mar 2013 17:03

ZacNaloen Eamon is a decent coach, just look at the quality and results the academy is getting at the moment.

I'd rather he stayed doing that though, for the rest of the season...

A very good point.

If we had no intention of sticking by poor Brian then what an unfortunate turn of events that we've lost a top scout.

I'd hate us to try with Eamonn only for it to fail half y through next season then we lose him altogether. Unless he does a fantastic job in the next two or keeps us up somehow I say let's get someone in.

That someone for me is Curbishley.

But Id be happy with Adkins. My only concern (and the only possible negative with Curbishley) is how much Adkins spent at Southampton. Can anyone compare? I don't know the numbers.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Mar 2013 17:09

Adkins spent and bought quality players we would of wanted including Clyne and the bloke attracted Ramires which turned a few on here.

Everyone felt he was harshly treated at Saints and I am in that camp too.

Adkins will be a quality manager for a scrap for 8 games and will be a quality appointment to get us back up.

Let's hope that call is made.

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 13 Mar 2013 17:12

paultheroyal Adkins spent and bought quality players we would of wanted including Clyne and the bloke attracted Ramires which turned a few on here.

Everyone felt he was harshly treated at Saints, and I am camp too.

Adkins will be a quality manager for a scrap for 8 games and will be a quality appointment to get us back up.

+1 here

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 13 Mar 2013 17:21

Adkins or Poyet for me

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 13 Mar 2013 17:38

2 world wars, 1 world cup
ZacNaloen Eamon is a decent coach, just look at the quality and results the academy is getting at the moment.

I'd rather he stayed doing that though, for the rest of the season...

A very good point.

If we had no intention of sticking by poor Brian then what an unfortunate turn of events that we've lost a top scout.

I'd hate us to try with Eamonn only for it to fail half y through next season then we lose him altogether. Unless he does a fantastic job in the next two or keeps us up somehow I say let's get someone in.

That someone for me is Curbishley.

But Id be happy with Adkins. My only concern (and the only possible negative with Curbishley) is how much Adkins spent at Southampton. Can anyone compare? I don't know the numbers.

Southampton spent £33m this year.

Divvy

by Divvy » 13 Mar 2013 17:47

paultheroyal Adkins spent and bought quality players we would of wanted including Clyne and the bloke attracted Ramires which turned a few on here.

Everyone felt he was harshly treated at Saints and I am in that camp too.

Bang on!

the taphouse

by the taphouse » 13 Mar 2013 18:10

di canio

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 13 Mar 2013 18:12

Eaststandman
winchester_royal What more do you expect a day after sacking a manager? :|

Not the likes of PDC being seriously considered...

There's nothing to suggest that PDC was ever seriously considered. He was photographed at the Villa game, which made everyone leap to assumptions. Then the club made it known they weren't interested. End of PDC story, really.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 13 Mar 2013 18:13

MmmMonsterMunch snatch

Lol

Divvy

by Divvy » 13 Mar 2013 18:22

One of the bookies has made Adkins favourite in the last hour. Also 22/1 on Avram Grant now..

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Mar 2013 18:23

Goughie and AD sl8ing Poyet on TS- squad worth £30m+ and they're not even in a play off place

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 13 Mar 2013 18:26

the taphouse di canio

Why swap a proven championship manager for a proven league one manager?

2614 posts