MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by sandman » 12 Mar 2013 21:15

West Stand Flash Don't really come on here because I only like to wind people up when things are going wrong.

Now for another attempt:

GREAT NEWS THOUGH, but 3 months late.

Bye

4EVERREADING

by 4EVERREADING » 12 Mar 2013 22:17

This is disgusting. I’m embarrassed to be a Reading supporter. Have we heard from SJM yet?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 Mar 2013 22:29

West Stand Flash Don't really come on here as you're all pathetic.

Bye

:roll:

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 13 Mar 2013 17:38

winchester_royal
Man Friday What's the point of Zingy if he's not going to invest properly.

You're privy to the inner financial workings of the football club are you?

So you think Brian WAS given money but didn't want to spend it??? He'd be the first manager in the history of football to do that. He said a few days ago that we should have spent in the summer. That was code for "I wasn't given any near enough money". To deflect attention from himself, Zingy sacked Brian.

I'll tell you what, let's just see where we are in, say, 2 years' time. If we're in the PL, or even in the top half of the Chumpionship, I'll say I was wrong. My fears, however, are that Zingy will condemn us to the nether regions of football or at best the bottom half of the Chumpionship. Ridiculously ambitious hopes not backed up by sufficient investment. The worst of both worlds.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 13 Mar 2013 17:48

hes said it repeatedly throughout the season.
and i tend to agree with you
but its also true that AZ said there was money
so its still not entirely clear

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Mar 2013 18:30

Man Friday
winchester_royal

So you think Brian WAS given money but didn't want to spend it??? He'd be the first manager in the history of football to do that. He said a few days ago that we should have spent in the summer. That was code for "I wasn't given any near enough money". To deflect attention from himself, Zingy sacked Brian.

I'll tell you what, let's just see where we are in, say, 2 years' time. If we're in the PL, or even in the top half of the Chumpionship, I'll say I was wrong. My fears, however, are that Zingy will condemn us to the nether regions of football or at best the bottom half of the Chumpionship. Ridiculously ambitious hopes not backed up by sufficient investment. The worst of both worlds.

Second. Coppell admitted to it.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 Mar 2013 18:32

West Stand Flash Don't really come on here as you're all pathetic.

Bye

Dud grenade m8.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Mar 2013 21:17

Man Friday
winchester_royal

Yes, the only reliable source regarding the inner workings of the club on here is gazza and he said there was more money than McDermott spent.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Mar 2013 22:20

Man Friday
winchester_royal

The so-called debate of managers choosing not to use *adequate* money bores me it's so damn stupid so I won't go there and win the 'debate' for the umpteenth time.

But with Brian and January we have an interesting scenario. We know that big bids were made (not huge by prem standards to be fair, but big for us) for gylfi/Ince so we know this time *adequate* money (i.e. not just a couple of mill that, as coppell said, wouldnt buy us anything better than what we had) WAS there.

The most curious bit of interviewing with Brian, and interestingly some of the last words we ever heard him say as Reading manager was on this very subject. Dellor (I think) asked the critical question of why, when a £10mill bid on Gylfi didn't work, we didn't have a backup for 3 £3mill players or so. Brian's response was very odd. IIIRC he sort of agreed, suggesting to me that it wasn't in his hands.

Now im just speculating but it sounds like what *may* have happened was either that it was a fake bid to make us believe we were willling to spend (which i dont believe at all ) OR Anton was happy to spend on Gylfi or Ince but wouldn't trust Brian to use that same money for other players. Another possibility is that the decision to use the money was made so late that actually Brian had no time to use it in any other way. I VERY much doubt that Brian was told "here do what you will with £12mill plus an extra £10mill wage allowance, just make sure you keep us up" right at the beginning if the window. But my bias towards Brian may mean I'm wrong. Maybe he was, and maybe he wasn't up to finding enough good players...?

A genius question by BBCRB with a very curious response by King Brian.

One thing is for sure though- Anton I'm certain has learnt his lesson and will invest when it matters. We now just need a manager he trusts with he money. Enter Adkins or Curbishley I hope.
Last edited by Millsy on 13 Mar 2013 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 13 Mar 2013 22:25

Brian is an absolute legend, you can't argue with 2 FA Cup quarter finals, a play off final and league title.

However, this has been coming. Shocking results against our rivals for the entire season, 2 dreadful performances at home recently too. I was surprised he wasn't sacked in November/December around the Southampton/Wigan shitstorms to be honest. The January transfer window results have also been bordering on hilarious. 2 League One players and Carrico, now that's thrown us up the table... I'd love to know who actually dealt with those transfers.

RDM or Adkins for me, and that ex-Swindon berk can steer well clear of us.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 13 Mar 2013 23:03

Ive been away the last couple of days but when I heard the news on Monday, I was surprised. You can bet it if wasn't for Zingy, this wouldn't have happened. But I for one am actually glad that it has. Unfortunately, it has happened 2 or 3 months too late, as whoever comes in now has very little chance of saving us from the drop. But the positives are the fact that we wont have to go back to the Championship playing crap football. Would McDermott have been able to get us promoted again, just because he did it once? I dont think so. The sacking of McD would have been done with the knowledge that we will be in Championship next season, so Zingy will bring someone in who has Championship experience and someone that he thinks has a better chance of getting us promoted next season.

Resilience, momentum and luck got us promoted last season, and you can sure it wouldnt happen in the same way again. I saw Crystal Palace beat Middlesbrough 4-1 a few weeks back and trust me, they were miles better than we are. And they might not even go up. I dont know why people think we will have a really good Championship team next season, because this team would struggle to get top 6 off the back of a season in the Premier League. But I am just happy that we wont have to watch the same awful brand of football fail in the championship next season, like it has this season. More investment is needed if we want to go up next season, let alone stay up this season and next.

Despite what you might think, many of the players will have been lifted by the fact McDermott has gone. And they will all be trying that much harder, to impress whoever comes in. Staying up is unlikely, but don't be surprised if we at least get a few good results before the end of the season. The timing is a little strange, but it is better that the new manager has these 9 games to get to know the club and the players. This way he will have a better idea of what needs to happen in the summer.

Personally I'm hoping for Nigel Adkins, and I have a funny feeling we will get him. He had two consecutive promotions with Southampton, and had them playing good football. If he deserved to be sacked (which he definitely didn't), then McD certainly did too. I wouldn't actually mind Di Canio either, he was certainly doing things right that Swindon, and it would be interesting to say the least. Not bothered about anyone else, Advocaat has no experience of English football, Di Matteo wouldnt come to us, and I dont want anyone thats been out of football too long. Lets hope for Adkins and a new era that is even better than the last!!!

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 Mar 2013 23:07

/soundbites

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 14 Mar 2013 01:42

RoyallyFcuked . Would McDermott have been able to get us promoted again, just because he did it once? I dont think so.

What a ridiculously stupid thing to say, before going on to say....

The sacking of McD would have been done with the knowledge that we will be in Championship next season, so Zingy will bring someone in who has Championship experience and someone that he thinks has a better chance of getting us promoted next season.

Which makes Brian McDermott, the ideal person to replace Brian McDermott.

Despite what you might think, many of the players will have been lifted by the fact McDermott has gone. And they will all be trying that much harder, to impress whoever comes in. Staying up is unlikely, but don't be surprised if we at least get a few good results before the end of the season. The timing is a little strange, but it is better that the new manager has these 9 games to get to know the club and the players. This way he will have a better idea of what needs to happen in the summer.

Yes, I'm sure a squad which has spoken out about how much Brian meant to them, and how hard they have been trying to save him, are having a party at the thought of his departure. Whilst also calling for Di-C*ntio to be installed as manager.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2292973/Paolo-Di-Canio-unwanted-Reading-players.html

Personally I'm hoping for Nigel Adkins, and I have a funny feeling we will get him. He had two consecutive promotions with Southampton, and had them playing good football. If he deserved to be sacked (which he definitely didn't), then McD certainly did too. I wouldn't actually mind Di Canio either, he was certainly doing things right that Swindon, and it would be interesting to say the least. Not bothered about anyone else, Advocaat has no experience of English football, Di Matteo wouldnt come to us, and I dont want anyone thats been out of football too long. Lets hope for Adkins and a new era that is even better than the last!!!

What the feck have you been drinking man? Neither of them deserved to be sacked, and Adkins managed the team which BOTTLED it last season, whilst we romped to victory. How is that better than showing a little faith in one of the most highly respected, up and coming managers in the country?? Fortunately, Di-Canio is not going to be the manager.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Mar 2013 01:54

Oh dear - your love for BM clearly has clouded your judgement!

How is back to back promotions "bottling it"?!

If so, I fcuking hope we bottle it next season.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 14 Mar 2013 01:56

2 world wars, 1 world cup Maybe he was, and maybe he wasn't up to finding enough good players...?

So the guy who found us Doyle, Kitson, Long, Sidwell, Shorey, Sigurdsson, and a host of others....couldn't find any players? I'm not buying it.

See what people forget, is that McDermott was not just the manager of the club for the last 3 years. He was the FOUNDATION upon which this club is built. If he hadn't been involved, we would not have achieved the 106 team (largely made up of scouting successes of McDermott), we would probably have had some serious debts (players who were bought low and sold high wouldn't have been here) and we wouldn't have enjoyed promotion last season. I fear that Zingarevich's ridiculous power trip, has essentially removed the foundations of the club, and I'm pretty sure a 30 (ish) year old with no footballing knowledge, DOESN'T know better than the footballing experts who built those foundations. Now this would be fine, if the "Reading way" didn't work. But this club, has CONSISTENTLY punched WELL above its weight in the last 10 years. If it aint broke (which it aint) - then don't try and fix it.

Additionally, he has ripped the heart out of the club. Everything which made me as a supporter PROUD to be a Royal, has gone. We are no longer "something different" - we can no longer claim to do things "the right way". We're turning into the likes of the joke that Chelsea are, without any of the actual financial backing to pull any of it off.

This is the worst decision that could have been made - and one which for the first time, makes me consider whether I want to bother supporting a club which I have been in love with since childhood. Anyone who doesn't feel that this connection, has not been paying attention for the last 10 years, and can oxf*rd off back to supporting thier "main" team.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 14 Mar 2013 01:58

MmmMonsterMunch Oh dear - your love for BM clearly has clouded your judgement!

How is back to back promotions "bottling it"?!

If so, I fcuking hope we bottle it next season.

Had the title wrapped up 10 games from the end.

We won it.

= Bottled it.

Beaten by? Oh yes....Brian McDermott.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Mar 2013 02:01

Caskeys Lovechild
2 world wars, 1 world cup Maybe he was, and maybe he wasn't up to finding enough good players...?

So the guy who found us Doyle, Kitson, Long, Sidwell, Shorey, Sigurdsson, and a host of others....couldn't find any players? I'm not buying it.

See what people forget, is that McDermott was not just the manager of the club for the last 3 years. He was the FOUNDATION upon which this club is built. If he hadn't been involved, we would not have achieved the 106 team (largely made up of scouting successes of McDermott), we would probably have had some serious debts (players who were bought low and sold high wouldn't have been here) and we wouldn't have enjoyed promotion last season. I fear that Zingarevich's ridiculous power trip, has essentially removed the foundations of the club, and I'm pretty sure a 30 (ish) year old with no footballing knowledge, DOESN'T know better than the footballing experts who built those foundations. Now this would be fine, if the "Reading way" didn't work. But this club, has CONSISTENTLY punched WELL above its weight in the last 10 years. If it aint broke (which it aint) - then don't try and fix it.

Additionally, he has ripped the heart out of the club. Everything which made me as a supporter PROUD to be a Royal, has gone. We are no longer "something different" - we can no longer claim to do things "the right way". We're turning into the likes of the joke that Chelsea are, without any of the actual financial backing to pull any of it off.

This is the worst decision that could have been made - and one which for the first time, makes me consider whether I want to bother supporting a club which I have been in love with since childhood. Anyone who doesn't feel that this connection, has not been paying attention for the last 10 years, and can oxf*rd off back to supporting thier "main" team.

I agree with the sentiment but he could hardly be moved back into a backroom role at this point could he? He would have too much personal pride for that. It's a massive loss for the club no one disagrees on that score but we are where we are. Him managing the team unfortunately had run its course. Sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 14 Mar 2013 02:21

How, with Antons magic 5 year bulls*** plan, had McDermotts time "run it's course?"

If, as a manager in a business, you do a five year plan, and you achieve 50% of your 5 year target in year one - that five year plan, does not get torn up, or even adjusted. It's a five year plan - so it allows for year two to be poor, and years three, four and five to redress the balance.

McDermott achieved half of everything Zingarevich says he wants to achieve with this club, in record time. His time had not run its course - the plan is a oxf*rd fantasy that is only actually real, when things are going right on the surface.

If that plan does not allow for relegation - then that only proves, that these Russians, are complete morons with absolutely no concept of how the football world works.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Mar 2013 09:07

Caskeys Lovechild How, with Antons magic 5 year bulls*** plan, had McDermotts time "run it's course?"

If, as a manager in a business, you do a five year plan, and you achieve 50% of your 5 year target in year one - that five year plan, does not get torn up, or even adjusted. It's a five year plan - so it allows for year two to be poor, and years three, four and five to redress the balance.

McDermott achieved half of everything Zingarevich says he wants to achieve with this club, in record time. His time had not run its course - the plan is a oxf*rd fantasy that is only actually real, when things are going right on the surface.

If that plan does not allow for relegation - then that only proves, that these Russians, are complete morons with absolutely no concept of how the football world works.

How did you feel about Brendan Rodgers 3 year plan being shelved after 6 months by Madejski?

I admire your sentiment and to some degree I agree with it but your examples of players "scouted" by McD on another post is a little off really. Doyle/Long and Shorey are scouting successes because they're unlikely to be players that a manager has on his radar. Sidwell was basically gazumped by Pardew after Coppell had done all the leg work with him at Brentford, I'm not entirely sure what McD would have had to do with Academy arrivals such as Siggy either whilst Kitson was banging in the goals at the lower end of the football pyramid and was known to all. You wouldn't credit the signing of Le Fondre with the Chief Scout would you?

My personal opinion is that a guy that earns promotion has at the very least earned himself the opportunity to manage for the whole of the following season provided of course we're not a complete basket case which we're not. Also in my personal opinion he's also earned himself a fair chunk of the next season to see if he can repeat the earlier trick. However this is purely a personal moral decision and unfortunately there's really no room for that in modern football. Morally I don't think Rodgers should have beem=n sacked either but that doesn't mean it didn't turn out to be the right footballing one.

Far from being complete morons who know nothing about how the football world works, I think the Russians,more than you and I know the realities as opposed to the moral integrity you or I might wish to be the case.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Mar 2013 10:36

Caskeys Lovechild See what people forget, is that McDermott was not just the manager of the club for the last 3 years. He was the FOUNDATION upon which this club is built. If he hadn't been involved, we would not have achieved the 106 team (largely made up of scouting successes of McDermott)

It's really difficult to know how accurate that is though isn't it? We don't know which players he recommended or which were managers buying players they knew of directly or through the clubs contacts (some of which McDermott would've built up over the years). Remember Pardew was a regular on the scouting and reserves circuit before becoming manager.

Hahnemann - a Pardew signing, not exactly out of the wilderness
Murty - Signed in '98 2 years before McDermott joined as scout
Shorey
Sonko - Brentford links to Coppell
Ingimarsson - Coppells first signing and a player he'd worked with before
Sidwell - another Pardew signing through his links more than McDermotts
Harper
Little - Another Coppell old boy
Convey
Kitson
Lita - An obvious target for Championship teams, hardly a scouting gem
Doyle - Suggested by Dolan's brother, scouted by both Coppell and McDermott
Hunt - Another Coppell old boy

I'm certainly not saying that McDermott didn't play a big part in our success or that he wasn't key in checking out some of those players, but to say we wouldn't have had the 106 team without him is probably over playing his impact at the expense of both Pardew and Coppell.

Edit: What Vision said!

714 posts