MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
Caskeys Lovechild

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by Caskeys Lovechild » 14 Mar 2013 11:20

Vision
How did you feel about Brendan Rodgers 3 year plan being shelved after 6 months by Madejski?

The key difference there, was that Rodgers was given 6 months to establish if his way had any chance of succeeding. He failed time and time again, whilst simultaneously being full of hot air, and was sacked. McDermott won promotion to the Premier League in the first 6 months of Zingarevichs time (and what was effectively his re-employment into the 5 year plan)

Anyone with any degree of body language skills knew that Rodgers was hopelessly out of his depth, and realistically, he has gone on to prove that- let's face it, he has achieved in the last few years on the back of squads and philosophies built by others - he hasn't achieved any success that is truly his own - something which cannot be said of McDermott, who is a considerably better manager, and human being.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Mar 2013 11:28

Ridiculously harsh on Brendan Rodgers who has absolutley had the last laugh on Reading.

Rodgers needed more time and was bounced out due to a personal vendetta. McDermott should have been given the start of next season to prove he had us back on track*

*obvs I say this without knowing any behind-the-scenes issues there may have been

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 14 Mar 2013 11:34

Maguire Ridiculously harsh on Brendan Rodgers who has absolutley had the last laugh on Reading.

Jimmy Savile could have got Swansea promoted that season - he inherited a Martinez upon which Swansea have won some serious success. It has very little to do with who was in charge really. Last laugh? Not at all, he inflicted some pain, but its like borrowing your dads Lamborghini to win a soap box race....you win the race, but you don't deserve any credit for it.

Car analogies abound!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Mar 2013 11:37

Caskeys Lovechild
Vision
How did you feel about Brendan Rodgers 3 year plan being shelved after 6 months by Madejski?

The key difference there, was that Rodgers was given 6 months to establish if his way had any chance of succeeding. He failed time and time again, whilst simultaneously being full of hot air, and was sacked. McDermott won promotion to the Premier League in the first 6 months of Zingarevichs time (and what was effectively his re-employment into the 5 year plan)

Anyone with any degree of body language skills knew that Rodgers was hopelessly out of his depth, and realistically, he has gone on to prove that- let's face it, he has achieved in the last few years on the back of squads and philosophies built by others - he hasn't achieved any success that is truly his own - something which cannot be said of McDermott, who is a considerably better manager, and human being.

Very selective quoting there. You said sacking someone 1 year into a 5 year plan demonstrated they''re morons who know nothing about football. Is that really any different from sacking someone 6 months into a 3 year project especially given the players we had to sell in that time. Pure speculation on both our parts of course but the lessons Rodgers learned in order to get Swansea promoted might well have been learned here given a little more time. The main one being all the pretty passing in the world still requires a cutting edge. IE Scott Sinclair (who he bought) and not Simon Church/Gregorz Raziak.

You also seem to forget that McD's automatic promotion came off the back of winning 15 from 19 almost instantly after AZ and TSI showed up and released funds for the signing of Roberts and the contract renewal of Kebe. Whilst I'm sure we'd have been play-off contenders without it, I'm equally sure we wouldn't have been anywhere near automatic promotion, let alone champions.

As I say from a purely moral and integrity perspective I think both Rodgers and McD deserved more time but whilst I have some reservations I can totally see why both sackings make sense from a footballing perspective.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Mar 2013 11:42

Caskeys Lovechild
Maguire Ridiculously harsh on Brendan Rodgers who has absolutley had the last laugh on Reading.

Jimmy Savile could have got Swansea promoted that season - he inherited a Martinez upon which Swansea have won some serious success. It has very little to do with who was in charge really. Last laugh? Not at all, he inflicted some pain, but its like borrowing your dads Lamborghini to win a soap box race....you win the race, but you don't deserve any credit for it.

Car analogies abound!

Why did neither Martinez nor Sousa get Swansea promoted from the Championship If it was that much of a shoe-in? Rodgers took over from Sousa who had Swansea defensively sound but toothless up front. He saw that and did something about it. Good management. End of.

Same last season. He signed the keeper, Danny Graham and Caulker on loan all of whom did an excellent job and when their season looked like going into reverse he got Glyffi in on loan to kick start it again. Once again good managment. End of

He's not the Messiah and I'm not convinced he's going to do what Liverpool fans want him to but he's going about that in the right way too. They look a completely different side since he went and got Sturridge to partner Suarez. Once again he took a little time to weigh up what was needed and then did something about it. Again good management and to say otherwise is just biased nonsense really.
Last edited by Vision on 14 Mar 2013 11:48, edited 2 times in total.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Mar 2013 11:46

Caskeys Lovechild

Car analogies abound!

You are seriously thick.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Mar 2013 11:48

Caskeys Lovechild

Car analogies abound!

Rubbish - Swansea hadn't made the play-offs the two previous seasons and Rodgers took over from Paulo Sousa not Martinez. He added Scott Sinclair, Fabio Borini, and brought back Stephen Dobbie [who had been loaned out and looking to be sold] to name three players who faced us in the p/o final. One of them scored a hat-trick, you may remember.

Sacked by Reading, dicked us in the p/o final, did well enough in the PL to get a move to Liverpool. Last laugh.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Mar 2013 11:53

cant argue with that
was still shit when he was here though

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Mar 2013 11:59

Caskeys Lovechild

Car analogies abound!

This same old claptrap really is a load of rubbish.

Rodgers took over a decent side yes, and they played a style of football that he was happy with.

The changes he made, such as adding lots of goals from Sinclair, bringing Leon Brittan back, getting much more out of Joe Allen, using Dobbie very effectively, were the difference between Rodgers side and those of the previous managers who failed to deliver the rewards Rodgers did.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Mar 2013 12:00

melonhead cant argue with that

Was getting better. 21 games to turn round a side who were on a slide and selling their best players isn't enough

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Mar 2013 12:01

Caskeys Lovechild How, with Antons magic 5 year bulls*** plan, had McDermotts time "run it's course?"

If, as a manager in a business, you do a five year plan, and you achieve 50% of your 5 year target in year one - that five year plan, does not get torn up, or even adjusted. It's a five year plan - so it allows for year two to be poor, and years three, four and five to redress the balance.

McDermott achieved half of everything Zingarevich says he wants to achieve with this club, in record time. His time had not run its course - the plan is a oxf*rd fantasy that is only actually real, when things are going right on the surface.

If that plan does not allow for relegation - then that only proves, that these Russians, are complete morons with absolutely no concept of how the football world works.

The five-year plan didn't include relegation from the Premiership?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Mar 2013 12:04

Agreed. He was given 3 years to rebuild and get us up. For me it's pretty implicit in that that drifting into a relegation fight is unacceptable. He spent a lot of money for us at that level, yes we got a lot from fees in too, but that was always going to be part of the money balancing from relegation.

Had we gone down, which was far from certain but absolutely a significant possibility, it would likely have been disastrous for us. There was obviously behind the scenes clashes as well. So he pretty much had to go. Him having done good jobs elsewhere and getting the last laugh doesn't invalidate the decision to sack him for doing a bad job with us. We could have given him more time, but he hadn't really earnt it. He'd lost a significant portion of the fans. We rolled the dice. The decision was vindicated.

We've done much the same thing now. We could have kept McDermott, it almost certainly wouldn't have kept us up and there's no certainty he'd have been able to have us in the mix for promotion next season because it's often hard for the same manager to turn around a relegation, especially where their poor decisions have contributed to it. We won't know if sacking him was a good decision until at the earliest May, probably May next year.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 14 Mar 2013 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Mar 2013 12:06

Rodgers needed more time and was bounced out due to a personal vendetta. McDermott should have been given the start of next season to prove he had us back on track*

*obvs I say this without knowing any behind-the-scenes issues there may have been

I think the decision to boot him now, as opposed to giving him a chance next season, was in the belief that his football and his methods weren't going to work long term. He'd not shown enough this season to suggest he's a Premier League manager unfortunately and so I'd guess the board want to bring someone in who might be.

There's also the possibility that they think McDermott can't attract the right calibre of player to Reading to have that long term success. Perhaps one of the failings this season hasn't just been McDermott/the club not wanting to bring in better players but those better players not seeing the McDermott/Reading combination as attractive enough?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Mar 2013 12:08

Maguire

Was getting better. 21 games to turn round a side who were on a slide and selling their best players isn't enough

agreed to some extent.

i think it was off the field where it became untenable
i just think his interviews were getting madder and madder, as were some of his decisions.
he spent what money he had on a few positions, leaving others woefully short on numbers/quality
just think he lost it

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Mar 2013 12:11

melonhead
Maguire

agreed to some extent.

i think it was off the field where it became untenable
i just think his interviews were getting madder and madder, as were some of his decisions.
he spent what money he had on a few positions, leaving others woefully short on numbers/quality
just think he lost it

We got better briefly, but it was only a hint and there was also a hint before he was sacked that the getting better had been a blip and we were going back to being shit again

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Mar 2013 12:14

Ian Royal We got better briefly, but it was only a hint and there was also a hint before he was sacked that the getting better had been a blip and we were going back to being shit again

Mirrored in McDermott's fortunes.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Mar 2013 12:15

Sanguine
Ian Royal We got better briefly, but it was only a hint and there was also a hint before he was sacked that the getting better had been a blip and we were going back to being shit again

Mirrored in McDermott's fortunes.

I'd say McDermott's improvement was clearer and bigger. As was his return to rubbishness.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 14 Mar 2013 12:15

I feel worse about this today than I did 2 days ago.

There is some footballing reason in the decision to change managers, but as a fan there was no manager I would rather cheer for.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Mar 2013 12:17

The Rouge I feel worse about this today than I did 2 days ago.

There is some footballing reason in the decision to change managers, but as a fan there was no manager I would rather cheer for.

yeah. this.
the more i think about it the more angry i get.
not at AZ, his decision is amde in th ebest interests of the club, and for good reasons both footballing and otherwise.
for me, the fans who turned on brian though are deserving only of the highest possible levels of contempt.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Mar 2013 12:35

melonhead
The Rouge I feel worse about this today than I did 2 days ago.

yeah. this.
the more i think about it the more angry i get.
not at AZ, his decision is amde in th ebest interests of the club, and for good reasons both footballing and otherwise.
for me, the fans who turned on brian though are deserving only of the highest possible levels of contempt.

Agree about turning on Brian it's bloody horrible. I've never agreed with booing & jeering it's completely counter productive.

It's such a shame he didn't persist with the same set up as Sunderland despite Pog being suspended. Noel Hunt would have been ok enough to do it & we would have at least been in the games rather than losing - yes we might not have had many goal attempts but a point in this league is like gold dust. Us reverting back to 4-4-2 when we can't keep the ball was wot dun it for him I think.

714 posts