MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by floyd__streete » 14 Mar 2013 12:42

melonhead yeah. this.
the more i think about it the more angry i get.
not at AZ, his decision is amde in th ebest interests of the club, and for good reasons both footballing and otherwise.
for me, the fans who turned on brian though are deserving only of the highest possible levels of contempt.

LOL @ blaming the fans - w@nkers that they are - for this farce and exonerating AZ.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 14 Mar 2013 13:36

The worst thing about this whole farce is that nobody was lined up to come in straight away.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Mar 2013 15:01

floyd__streete
melonhead yeah. this.
not at AZ, his decision is amde in th ebest interests of the club, and for good reasons both footballing and otherwise.
for me, the fans who turned on brian though are deserving only of the highest possible levels of contempt.

LOL @ blaming the fans - w@nkers that they are - for this farce and exonerating AZ.

im not exonerating AZ. im just not angry with him. hes just done what most chairmen would have done months ago.
and im not saying the fans are totally to blame. if wed played better they wouldnt have bood, and hed still be here.
im simply saying i im disgusted with their petulant and graceless actions.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Mar 2013 15:02

I tell ya, this Manager of the Month curse is rather brutal.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Mar 2013 16:18

melonhead and im not saying the fans are totally to blame. if wed played better they wouldnt have bood, and hed still be here.
im simply saying i im disgusted with their petulant and graceless actions.

I am with you to an extent in that the ironic cheering when Leigertwood was substituted was absolutely contemptible, almost as distasteful as the chanting of Danny Guthrie's name. That said, people are paying for the privilege so they're at liberty to express how they feel.....

But the 'booing' thing? As I say, people are paying upward of £30 for a ticket and its not as if they're abusing local volunteers or amateurs, these are handsomely paid footballers we're talking about. If you don't like the product on show you're entitled to voice your disatisfaction.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 14 Mar 2013 16:24

The Rouge I feel worse about this today than I did 2 days ago.

There is some footballing reason in the decision to change managers, but as a fan there was no manager I would rather cheer for.

+1

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 14 Mar 2013 16:51

Ian Royal
Sanguine
Ian Royal We got better briefly, but it was only a hint and there was also a hint before he was sacked that the getting better had been a blip and we were going back to being shit again

Mirrored in McDermott's fortunes.

I'd say McDermott's improvement was clearer and bigger. As was his return to rubbishness.

I do think that's a little harsh on BMac (but I would)... Wigan was obviously a fcvking unbridled disaster, but without Pog, the system he'd got working acceptably was buggered, and he was basically forced to go back to the one which hadn't worked previously, but without some of his better players. (Realise that some think NHunt could have played up front on his own, but I'm not sure that was really an option personally)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Mar 2013 16:54

Personally I'd have just put my new signing Blackman in for Pog.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Mar 2013 17:18

mr_number
Ian Royal
Sanguine

I'd say McDermott's improvement was clearer and bigger. As was his return to rubbishness.

I do think that's a little harsh on BMac (but I would)... Wigan was obviously a fcvking unbridled disaster, but without Pog, the system he'd got working acceptably was buggered, and he was basically forced to go back to the one which hadn't worked previously, but without some of his better players. (Realise that some think NHunt could have played up front on his own, but I'm not sure that was really an option personally)

I'd rather have gone toothless and prayed for 0-0 or a flukey 1-1 than a system which saw use regularly conceeding 3+ goals and totally over-run in midfield. Personally I'd have tried ALF. If that didn't work Blackman, who's at least big. Hunt would have been my last choice to play up on his own.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 14 Mar 2013 17:53

If I could be bothered, I'm sure I could find a post from you (this is just guesswork, but we all think the same, so not meant to be having a go at you) pointing out how useless our defence is, so you would have be to be super-optmistic to go for 0-0. It's easy with hindsight to say the option we went with was shite, but most of the options were shite. Not sure which one I would have taken. Maybe some kind of formation that looked amusing when viewed on that bit where they show the teams at the start of coverage, just so that there was some enjoyment to be had.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Mar 2013 19:10

mr_number
Ian Royal
Sanguine

So rather than just giving out the same old tired soundbites, McDermott should have actually listened to the pundits at BBCRB who throughout the transfer window were saying that the club needed to be signing a decent player with a similar playing style as Pog as the system would be buggered if Pog was unavailable. So who did McDermott and Hammond sign? Blackman! :shock: :roll:

McDermott was given the January transfer window and the key games agains our relegation rivals to show that he could turn things around. Sadly he failed and there was no sign whatsoever that things were going to improve between now and the end of the season under his management.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Mar 2013 19:14

...apart from January itself

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 14 Mar 2013 20:04

melonhead
The Rouge I feel worse about this today than I did 2 days ago.

There is some footballing reason in the decision to change managers, but as a fan there was no manager I would rather cheer for.

yeah. this.

I doubt that very much. Time will tell. I had faith in Brian. I have very little in our new owners (and I suspect neither does SJM now).

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 14 Mar 2013 20:10

Caskeys Lovechild
2 world wars, 1 world cup Maybe he was, and maybe he wasn't up to finding enough good players...?

So the guy who found us Doyle, Kitson, Long, Sidwell, Shorey, Sigurdsson, and a host of others....couldn't find any players? I'm not buying it.

See what people forget, is that McDermott was not just the manager of the club for the last 3 years. He was the FOUNDATION upon which this club is built. If he hadn't been involved, we would not have achieved the 106 team (largely made up of scouting successes of McDermott), we would probably have had some serious debts (players who were bought low and sold high wouldn't have been here) and we wouldn't have enjoyed promotion last season. I fear that Zingarevich's ridiculous power trip, has essentially removed the foundations of the club, and I'm pretty sure a 30 (ish) year old with no footballing knowledge, DOESN'T know better than the footballing experts who built those foundations. Now this would be fine, if the "Reading way" didn't work. But this club, has CONSISTENTLY punched WELL above its weight in the last 10 years. If it aint broke (which it aint) - then don't try and fix it.

Additionally, he has ripped the heart out of the club. Everything which made me as a supporter PROUD to be a Royal, has gone. We are no longer "something different" - we can no longer claim to do things "the right way". We're turning into the likes of the joke that Chelsea are, without any of the actual financial backing to pull any of it off.

This is the worst decision that could have been made - and one which for the first time, makes me consider whether I want to bother supporting a club which I have been in love with since childhood. Anyone who doesn't feel that this connection, has not been paying attention for the last 10 years, and can oxf*rd off back to supporting thier "main" team.

Reflects my thoughts/views/feelings 100%.
Good luck to the rest of you by I ain't spending a single penny on supporting Little Chelsea.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Mar 2013 20:15

Man Friday
Caskeys Lovechild
2 world wars, 1 world cup Maybe he was, and maybe he wasn't up to finding enough good players...?

So the guy who found us Doyle, Kitson, Long, Sidwell, Shorey, Sigurdsson, and a host of others....couldn't find any players? I'm not buying it.

See what people forget, is that McDermott was not just the manager of the club for the last 3 years. He was the FOUNDATION upon which this club is built. If he hadn't been involved, we would not have achieved the 106 team (largely made up of scouting successes of McDermott), we would probably have had some serious debts (players who were bought low and sold high wouldn't have been here) and we wouldn't have enjoyed promotion last season. I fear that Zingarevich's ridiculous power trip, has essentially removed the foundations of the club, and I'm pretty sure a 30 (ish) year old with no footballing knowledge, DOESN'T know better than the footballing experts who built those foundations. Now this would be fine, if the "Reading way" didn't work. But this club, has CONSISTENTLY punched WELL above its weight in the last 10 years. If it aint broke (which it aint) - then don't try and fix it.

Additionally, he has ripped the heart out of the club. Everything which made me as a supporter PROUD to be a Royal, has gone. We are no longer "something different" - we can no longer claim to do things "the right way". We're turning into the likes of the joke that Chelsea are, without any of the actual financial backing to pull any of it off.

This is the worst decision that could have been made - and one which for the first time, makes me consider whether I want to bother supporting a club which I have been in love with since childhood. Anyone who doesn't feel that this connection, has not been paying attention for the last 10 years, and can oxf*rd off back to supporting thier "main" team.

Good luck to the rest of you by I ain't spending a single penny on supporting Little Chelsea.

MIssed that first time round, cheers for quoting it - brought a tear to my eye. Would like to think someone at the club read that. Hi Craig! *waves tear stained hankie*

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Mar 2013 20:17

likewise

Top summary of my own thoughts

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Mar 2013 20:19

We WILL end up another Wolves if we're not careful. :cry: Meanwhile, can see McD going to Wolves and turning their fortunes around somewhat.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 14 Mar 2013 20:29

Man Friday
Caskeys Lovechild

Another glory hunter.
Bet you will all come back when we start winning.

If you think his is bad you should have seen some of the dross I have suffered in the last 40 odd years I have followed the Biscuitmen/Royals.

Do you not realise Brian will have been handsomely paid off for starters.
You lot would have been in uproar if you were around when Steve Death got kicked out of his Reading Football club owned house.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 14 Mar 2013 21:07

Tw@t. I've been going to matches since 1968. (Well, since 1974 properly tbf, so not quite 40 years.) I have great sympathy with the way McD has been treated but my greater concern is that Ziggy turns us into a Little Chelsea i.e. soul taken out of the club but not even any proper investment to "compensate" for that.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 14 Mar 2013 21:14

By then

See you when were better (PLOLastic)

714 posts