Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
Unphased Royal

Re: Next Reading Manager

by Unphased Royal » 15 Mar 2013 13:16

royal_ross Not bashing Adkins or wouldn't complain if he became our manager but I feel he's similar to McDermott. Yes granted he done wonders at Scunthorpe and Southampton but so did McDermott with us, add to that he's spent about £20 million and they're only just above us.

Be better than Paulo "Nazi" Di Canio!! :D

I really dont understand this viewpoint. He spent a lot of money, largely on 2 players in Ramirez and Rodriguez, which people on here were crying out for us to do, and the difference this made to their team made them look like a PL side. This squad have never looked like they truly belong in this league and i honestly think we are lucky to have this many points.

Spending that amount is not out of the ordinary in this league and if it keeps them up surely its money well spent...

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 15 Mar 2013 13:29

So do you think that if McDermott had been able to spend £25m in the summer instead of £5m we'd still be in the relegation zone? It only makes sense to have sacked Brian if we now bring in someone who's a level above him and IMO that's not Adkins.

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 15 Mar 2013 13:40

I dont think Brian would have spent the money like Adkins did. I think many were surprised to see they had managed to get Ramirez and I honestly dont think that Brian would have been as ambitious. Just my opinion

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Mar 2013 13:41

Unphased Royal Spending that amount is not out of the ordinary in this league and if it keeps them up surely its money well spent...

Just about the only argument I hear against Adkins on this board is that he spent money in order to improve his team.
Shows how strange football fans can be, the same (usual) suspects also berate McDermott for not doing the same.

The facts are:
Southampton will finish higher than Reading and will play in the PL next season, therefore making many more millions than they spent,
Adkins will have gone to another club because we have dicked about for too long, as usual
Reading will be in the championship surviving on parachute payments and hoping the Anton can leverage some cash out of his Dad.
Eamon Dolan will be struggling to keep us in the championship whilst desperately phoning Brian for advice.
Brian will be ringing Steve Coppell for advice on what to tell Eamon.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Mar 2013 14:07

72 bus
Unphased Royal Spending that amount is not out of the ordinary in this league and if it keeps them up surely its money well spent...

Just about the only argument I hear against Adkins on this board is that he spent money in order to improve his team.
Shows how strange football fans can be, the same (usual) suspects also berate McDermott for not doing the same.

The facts are:
Southampton will finish higher than Reading and will play in the PL next season, therefore making many more millions than they spent,
Adkins will have gone to another club because we have dicked about for too long, as usual
Reading will be in the championship surviving on parachute payments and hoping the Anton can leverage some cash out of his Dad.
Eamon Dolan will be struggling to keep us in the championship whilst desperately phoning Brian for advice.
Brian will be ringing Steve Coppell for advice on what to tell Eamon.

Haha very well put.

Re: Adkins' spend

1- he had to take a team from League 1 to the Prem. £20mill for that purpose is fine.
2- didn't we spend around £8mill and we're awful? Add to that Gylfi or Ince and we'd be perhaps a little less awful?
3- we need to spend. Its the no brainer that we and the board have finally figured out. Rather get a man therefore who knows how to spend and get results from it than someone who is great at doing things only on the cheap but is unproven with big soends. That works well for getting promoted but the PL is a different beast.

Still I want Curbishley not Adkins!!! But Adkins would be a good second bet.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 15 Mar 2013 14:21

Royal Lady
Big Ern Doubt there will be any movement on a new manager until Monday at the earliest, but with a 2 week break after Saturday, might be another week after that or .Reckon Anton & co will allow Dolan to concentrate on the Man Utd game without the distraction of any speculation.

Also looking forward to any manager that happens to be at the game getting linked to the job.

Thought your mate told you it was going to be Di Canio? :|

He did. He´s a journo that normally gets things right, but go on, shoot the messenger if you want.

I will email him officially calling him a pcunt on behalf of the Hob Nob Massive later today.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Mar 2013 15:22

So we're replacing a guy who got sacked for underachieving in the PL this season with a guy who got sa.......

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 15 Mar 2013 15:24

Big Ern
Royal Lady Thought your mate told you it was going to be Di Canio? :|

He did. He´s a journo that normally gets things right, but go on, shoot the messenger if you want.

I will email him officially calling him a pcunt on behalf of the Hob Nob Massive later today.

Not a journo from ESPN I guess
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/197651.html?CMP=OTC-RSS#

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Mar 2013 15:33

Unphased Royal I dont think Brian would have spent the money like Adkins did. I think many were surprised to see they had managed to get Ramirez and I honestly dont think that Brian would have been as ambitious. Just my opinion

the guy who just tried to get tome ince or sigurdson in for double figure millions?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 15 Mar 2013 15:35

Simon's Church I think we should bring in a current national team manager initially until the end of the season while they've got nothing better to do. Someone like Louis Van Gaal or Ottmar Hitzfeld. Maybe we could use our Russian connections to get Capello :?:

Maybe Trapatoni? Harte and Kelly would love that.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Mar 2013 16:00

Maguire So we're replacing a guy who got sacked for underachieving in the PL this season with a guy who got sa.......

Adkins was more personal, i believe, him and the chairman/owner didn't see eye to eye

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Mar 2013 16:15

3/1 still available on Adkins with Sky Bet

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Mar 2013 16:20

7/4 Coral's

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Mar 2013 16:21

TBM
Maguire So we're replacing a guy who got sacked for underachieving in the PL this season with a guy who got sa.......

Adkins was more personal, i believe, him and the chairman/owner didn't see eye to eye

Ok we're replacing a man who led his team to the title last season but only managed to keep them in the lower reaches of the Prem with a guy who failed to win the title last season and then only managed to keep his side in the lower reaches of the Prem despite having the 6th highest net transfer spend in Europe.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Mar 2013 16:32

Maguire
TBM

Ok we're replacing a man who led his team to the title last season but only managed to keep them in the lower reaches of the Prem with a guy who failed to win the title last season and then only managed to keep his side in the lower reaches of the Prem despite having the 6th highest net transfer spend in Europe.

Of course that's all Adkins has achieved in his managerial career, best not to let facts get in the way but.....

Adkins 439 224 87 128 51.03

Bangor City

League of Wales champions: 1993–94, 1994–95

Scunthorpe United

League One champions: 2006–07 Promoted
League One play-off winners: 2008–09 Promoted
Football League Trophy finalists: 2009

Southampton

League One runners-up: 2010–11 Promoted
Championship runners-up: 2011–12 Promoted

Brian 169 76 43 50 44.97

Reading
Play off final Lost
Saved us from relegation
Won the reserve league ahead of Rodgers' Chelsea which must trump winning a national league LOL
Football League Championship (1): 2011–12Promoted
Last edited by 72 bus on 15 Mar 2013 16:55, edited 2 times in total.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Mar 2013 16:50

Play off final
Saved us from relegation
Won the reserve league ahead of Rodgers' Chelsea.

If you're going to include achievements with Bangor then you've got to include achievements with the reserves.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Mar 2013 16:52

winchester_royal
TBM So are most of us, but it seems the board aren't

This poll would suggest otherwise:

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118014

No it wouldn't. Only 47% of voters think McDermott deserved to be sacked.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Mar 2013 16:56

SCIAG Play off final
Saved us from relegation
Won the reserve league ahead of Rodgers' Chelsea.

If you're going to include achievements with Bangor then you've got to include achievements with the reserves.

Edited for you, looks massively in Brian's favour now since I put the Reserve league in

royal67

by royal67 » 15 Mar 2013 17:00

[quote="SCIAG"]
No it wouldn't. Only 47% of voters think McDermott deserved to be sacked.

Which is more than the 42% of people who thought he should have stayed.... According to the poll......

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 15 Mar 2013 18:03

melonhead
Unphased Royal I dont think Brian would have spent the money like Adkins did. I think many were surprised to see they had managed to get Ramirez and I honestly dont think that Brian would have been as ambitious. Just my opinion

the guy who just tried to get tome ince or sigurdson in for double figure millions?

On the final day of the Jan window when it was all a bit too late and the panic was setting in. He had 4 months in the summer to buy that kind of talent but he didn't and that falls on Brian, assuming he had the funds obviously.

2614 posts