Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Reading Manager

by LoyalRoyalFan » 15 Mar 2013 18:18

Unphased Royal
melonhead
Unphased Royal I dont think Brian would have spent the money like Adkins did. I think many were surprised to see they had managed to get Ramirez and I honestly dont think that Brian would have been as ambitious. Just my opinion

the guy who just tried to get tome ince or sigurdson in for double figure millions?

On the final day of the Jan window when it was all a bit too late and the panic was setting in. He had 4 months in the summer to buy that kind of talent but he didn't and that falls on Brian, assuming he had the funds obviously.

Unphased
Royal aye?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Mar 2013 18:19

72 bus Of course that's all Adkins has achieved in his managerial career, best not to let facts get in the way but.....

If you're going to delve into hallowed antiquity then why does Brian's last three years of totally unexpected success not count for anything?

I do agree that facts have no place on this board though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Mar 2013 18:31

Maguire
TBM
Maguire So we're replacing a guy who got sacked for underachieving in the PL this season with a guy who got sa.......

Adkins was more personal, i believe, him and the chairman/owner didn't see eye to eye

Ok we're replacing a man who led his team to the title last season but only managed to keep them in the lower reaches of the Prem with a guy who failed to win the title last season and then only managed to keep his side in the lower reaches of the Prem despite having the 6th highest net transfer spend in Europe.

No, we're replacing a man who led his team to the title last season and followed up that by taking his team to being relegation near certainties virtually all season demonstrating poor management and few ideas, with someone who came second last season and took his team to a reasonably good chance of survival in the Premier League and had a much better idea of how to use a midfield.

If McDermott had achieved the performances and points Adkins managed this season, he'd never have been sacked and he'd not have lost the support of a significant groupe of the fans. So whilst the difference in points and position is small, that difference is hugely significant and is the difference between successful survival and abject relegated failure.

McDermott didn't need to achieve safety to survive, he just needed to put up a creditable fight and appear suitably competent. Unfortunately, he failed in even that.

On the big assumption Adkins gets the job.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 15 Mar 2013 18:34

72 bus
Of course that's all Adkins has achieved in his managerial career, best not to let facts get in the way but.....

Adkins 439 224 87 128 51.03

Bangor City

League of Wales champions: 1993–94, 1994–95

Scunthorpe United

League One champions: 2006–07 Promoted
League One play-off winners: 2008–09 Promoted
Football League Trophy finalists: 2009

Southampton

League One runners-up: 2010–11 Promoted
Championship runners-up: 2011–12 Promoted

Brian 169 76 43 50 44.97

Reading
Play off final Lost
Saved us from relegation
Won the reserve league ahead of Rodgers' Chelsea which must trump winning a national league LOL
Football League Championship (1): 2011–12Promoted

Either League One is harder to get out of than I thought or you failed to mention what happened in 2007-2008.

He's still my choice though. His task at Saints was harder than ours because he wanted to play fast, exciting enjoyable football instead of hitting the ball up the pitch and see if it goes in.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Mar 2013 19:06

Maguire
72 bus Of course that's all Adkins has achieved in his managerial career, best not to let facts get in the way but.....

If you're going to delve into hallowed antiquity then why does Brian's last three years of totally unexpected success not count for anything?

I do agree that facts have no place on this board though.

Ok just the last few years then, shocking record I can see why you would not want him.

League One play-off winners: 2008–09 Promoted
Football League Trophy finalists: 2009
League One runners-up: 2010–11 Promoted
Championship runners-up: 2011–12 Promoted

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Mar 2013 19:15

I have nothing to add at the moment.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 15 Mar 2013 19:18

2 world wars, 1 world cup I have nothing to add at the moment.

Cheers then!

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 15 Mar 2013 19:18

LoyalRoyalFan
Unphased Royal
On the final day of the Jan window when it was all a bit too late and the panic was setting in. He had 4 months in the summer to buy that kind of talent but he didn't and that falls on Brian, assuming he had the funds obviously.

Unphased
Royal aye?

:wink:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Mar 2013 19:19

Eaststandman

You never do, to be fair.

Corrected for you.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 15 Mar 2013 19:21

Adkins was more personal, i believe, him and the chairman/owner didn't see eye to eye[/quote]

Ok we're replacing a man who led his team to the title last season but only managed to keep them in the lower reaches of the Prem with a guy who failed to win the title last season and then only managed to keep his side in the lower reaches of the Prem despite having the 6th highest net transfer spend in Europe.[/quote]
No, we're replacing a man who led his team to the title last season and followed up that by taking his team to being relegation near certainties virtually all season demonstrating poor management and few ideas, with someone who came second last season and took his team to a reasonably good chance of survival in the Premier League and had a much better idea of how to use a midfield.

If McDermott had achieved the performances and points Adkins managed this season, he'd never have been sacked and he'd not have lost the support of a significant groupe of the fans. So whilst the difference in points and position is small, that difference is hugely significant and is the difference between successful survival and abject relegated failure.

McDermott didn't need to achieve safety to survive, he just needed to put up a creditable fight and appear suitably competent. Unfortunately, he failed in even that.

On the big assumption Adkins gets the job.[/quote]
Just cannot disagree with any of that.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Mar 2013 19:33

Ian Royal

Good post Ian.

I do think this bit is a little harsh on poor Brian though mate.

Poor resources and, as you also wonderfully echoed my thoughts in a post not long ago, the mess this season was multifactorial, including shocking ref decisions, Guthrieism, Feds' bizarre early lack of form etc ... And even then we put in some great performances. Yes it has fallen apart a bit in the last couple of games but to say he didn't put up some sort of a fight is unfair. I think we can hold our heads up high. It's not like we're 10 points adrift. We're doing as well as QPR, a team that has spent much more. Very harsh to say he didn't it up a creditable fight. As for appearing competent that is more believable. I don't agree with it given the poor resources but I do see the opposing argument. I don't see an argument for him not putting up a good fight.

In the words of Football Manager, he definitely "fought bravely against relegation".

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 15 Mar 2013 19:37

Ian Royal

On the big assumption Adkins gets the job.

All of the above is why I think Adkins should be the new manager.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Mar 2013 19:41

Parky now coming in as favourite with some bookies! This would be a ridiculous appointment.

God sake, just get Adkins in!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Mar 2013 19:49

To be fair our manager record has been great. Whoever we choose will be good I'm sure. If its Parky much as I love the guy I'll be disappointed but I was disappointed with Brian's and Parj's appointments so who knows.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Mar 2013 19:54

Parky 424 159 131 134 37.5 one promotion, Cheap wages + will be happy to go with what we have

Adkins 439 224 87 128 51.03 four promotions, might want a decent wage and transfer budget

Bound to be Parky, its the Reading way

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Mar 2013 19:58

Ditto

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Mar 2013 20:03

72 bus Parky 424 159 131 134 37.5 one promotion, Cheap wages + will be happy to go with what we have

Adkins 439 224 87 128 51.03 four promotions, might want a decent wage and transfer budget

Bound to be Parky, its the Reading way

No fcuking way is it Parky. Why would he pull the trigger on Brian to "continue the fight against possible relegation" and replace him with a League 2 manager. No no no.

Ain't going to happen. Parky needs to cut his teeth in league 1 or the champ. Relax.

(But if it did happen it would be a fcuking disaster of monolithic proportions)

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 16 Mar 2013 12:25

Di Canio now on football focus with the introduction he could be the next Royal appointment.

Yeah along with about 10 others.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 16 Mar 2013 13:16

Im in for DIC

Worst anyone can do now is relegation which looks likely anyway but i actually think given a few games the fans could take to him.
I want to see passion in a manager, i want to see him prowling his technical area, i want to see him bare his teeth im anger when we are shit and i want to see him go mental when we score.

As Reading Fans we all dislike old Colin but if he was ours it would be different.

In DIC we would have a manager who albeit is still leraning his trade but he also has hunger, desire and could well attract some names to the squad. If all that fails then at least next season we would have a manager who might actually twat Warnock !!!

In IN IN

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 16 Mar 2013 13:22

loyalroyaldaz Im in for DIC

Worst anyone can do now is relegation which looks likely anyway but i actually think given a few games the fans could take to him.
I want to see passion in a manager, i want to see him prowling his technical area, i want to see him bare his teeth im anger when we are shit and i want to see him go mental when we score.

As Reading Fans we all dislike old Colin but if he was ours it would be different.

In DIC we would have a manager who albeit is still leraning his trade but he also has hunger, desire and could well attract some names to the squad. If all that fails then at least next season we would have a manager who might actually twat Warnock !!!

In IN IN

He came across far more sensible and balanced as I thought he would. Maybe it wouldn't be the end of the World.

2614 posts