Players don't want Di Canio

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Players don't want Di Canio

by maffff » 14 Mar 2013 14:21

Madstad to Nadderud
Caskeys Lovechild Games with Portsmouth, Tottenham, Arsenal were all exciting in the last few years - doesn't mean I'd want to go through them again.

Playing style is, in my opinion (and the opinion of those who matter) entirely secondary to results.

That was a while checking your big bumper book of RFC history to see who Branfoot was! Ok, as long as we win, it doesn't matter that we play like a pub team, even if it's sending the majority to sleep.

And the playing style influences the results. One of the fundamental issuse with McDermott's main playing style is it's limited and meant that with those limitations we are unlikely to be able to get the results we require in the longer term :|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Mar 2013 14:48

Madstad to Nadderud
Caskeys Lovechild Games with Portsmouth, Tottenham, Arsenal were all exciting in the last few years - doesn't mean I'd want to go through them again.

Playing style is, in my opinion (and the opinion of those who matter) entirely secondary to results.

That was a while checking your big bumper book of RFC history to see who Branfoot was! Ok, as long as we win, it doesn't matter that we play like a pub team, even if it's sending the majority to sleep.

Whereas watching the Centre Back's and the Keeper pass the ball between themselves for half an hour is a thrill a minute.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Mar 2013 14:58

sandman
Madstad to Nadderud

Whereas watching the Centre Back's and the Keeper pass the ball between themselves for half an hour is a thrill a minute.

That's as ridiculous an argument as the one that every club that spends will end up like Portsmouth. Those advocating the passing game aren't advocating what you say and hopefully you actually realise that but are just peeved that McDermott got fired.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Mar 2013 15:05

its not the style. its not the tactics. its not the team selection. its not the subs.
its having players who cant pass the ball to each other enough.

G'La

by G'La » 14 Mar 2013 15:22

Caskeys Lovechild
G'La Quite frankly, what the f*ck has it got to do with the players? If I were to leave the company I work for my employees would have no say in who takes over the department. If they disliked someone then kicked off they would be told to get on with their jobs and let the directors decide who runs that department. On the flipside this could be media sh*t stiring.

Do you work for Burger King?

In a PROFESSIONAL environment, the staff have a MASSIVE input on who the replacement is - especially if it's an internal one.
The last place I left, my team was asked to individually interview the leading two candidates for 10 minutes each and give thier first impressions.
That might be an exception to the norm, but I've never worked in a team, when having lost a line manager, I haven't been asked for my opinion.
If you rule with an iron fist like you're suggesting, then you are on a path to total failure.

Tell me, is your name Dennis? Who is the Executive Officer within your anarcho-syndicalist commune this week? Or perhaps your subordinate view of Burger King would suggest you dust fresh chicken with seven secret herbs and spices daily on the premises?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Mar 2013 15:26

Caskeys Lovechild
G'La Quite frankly, what the f*ck has it got to do with the players? If I were to leave the company I work for my employees would have no say in who takes over the department. If they disliked someone then kicked off they would be told to get on with their jobs and let the directors decide who runs that department. On the flipside this could be media sh*t stiring.

Do you work for Burger King?

In a PROFESSIONAL environment, the staff have a MASSIVE input on who the replacement is - especially if it's an internal one.
The last place I left, my team was asked to individually interview the leading two candidates for 10 minutes each and give thier first impressions.
That might be an exception to the norm, but I've never worked in a team, when having lost a line manager, I haven't been asked for my opinion.
If you rule with an iron fist like you're suggesting, then you are on a path to total failure.

we all have a say in every appointment in our group here.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Mar 2013 18:25

Royalwaster Di Canio was never considered as a replacement for McD - fact. It's just idle media speculation, as a result of seeing him in the stands on Saturday. If he'd been sitting next to Anton it would have been a different matter.

The players won't dictate who our next manager is or is not - fact.

Point 1 - agree totally. Any manager desperate for a job who has half a brain cell would be wise to turn up to crunch relegation matches of insecure manager clubs. It's what I'd do. As with any profession you have to play the game. Just because he was there proves nothing except HE was interested.

Point 2 - disagree completely. The two most common reason for sacking managers has got to be poor results and losing the dressing room, both of which can also cause the other. Di Canio has lost the dressing room before even applying for the job. What chairman is going to take a manager who players cannot stand and who is very unlikely to ever win the dressing room. Unless the chairman is banking on getting rid of all players for new ones there is absolutely no chance. Well done a Reading players for speaking out I say.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 14 Mar 2013 21:06

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Point 2 - disagree completely. The two most common reason for sacking managers has got to be poor results and losing the dressing room,

I love that phrase.

It just adds enough of a hint of insider knowledge to give a light sheen to even the biggest turd of idle speculation.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Mar 2013 19:36

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Point 2 - disagree completely. The two most common reason for sacking managers has got to be poor results and losing the dressing room,

I love that phrase.

It just adds enough of a hint of insider knowledge to give a light sheen to even the biggest turd of idle speculation.

Haha well put :)

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Di Canio coming up on Football Focus

by Royal Lady » 16 Mar 2013 12:25

Introduced as "could his next job be by Royal Appointment" :evil:

CayeneMatt

Re: Di Canio coming up on Football Focus

by CayeneMatt » 16 Mar 2013 12:31

Comes across quite well tbf. Though no doubt on best behaviour.

Beginning to think that it wouldn't be a total disaster.....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Mar 2013 12:34

Robbie Savage thinks Brian's sacking was disgusting. Lawrenson thinks it means we'll get relegated now!

Taffster

by Taffster » 16 Mar 2013 12:44

[quote="Royal Lady"Lawrenson thinks it means we'll get relegated now![/quote]

Must mean we are staying up then.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Mar 2013 12:46

Trouble with DIC is that he throws grenades around. According to the ex Chief Ex of Swindon. From the local press coverage here I reckon that's only half the story.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 16 Mar 2013 12:50

Came across a lot better than expected.

Still far too close to West Ham for us though.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Mar 2013 12:51

People get so ridiculously over-emotional about sackings from football management roles these days.

It really is a bit pathetic.

I don't like it or approve of the practice but one would assume / hope that BM has had his bank balance significantly boosted by recent events. Go out and buy a nice villa somewhere, have a bloody good holiday and set yourself up for a very comfortable retirement, when it beckons, would be my advice.

Personal pride might be hurting a lot right now, but that's not fcuking bad for 3 years hard graft and a somewhat unfair sacking from which, in reality, your dignity remains unscathed.

As a bloke who's always had his his head screwed on I'd be pretty confident that's how he'll see it.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 16 Mar 2013 13:00

Ha, on Football focus just now Richard Osman suggested that Ian Harte scored the winner in our 1927 victory over Utd. :lol:

buzzby
Hob Nob Regular

by buzzby » 16 Mar 2013 13:04

Royal Rother People get so ridiculously over-emotional about sackings from football management roles these days.

It really is a bit pathetic.

I don't like it or approve of the practice but one would assume / hope that BM has had his bank balance significantly boosted by recent events. Go out and buy a nice villa somewhere, have a bloody good holiday and set yourself up for a very comfortable retirement, when it beckons, would be my advice.

Personal pride might be hurting a lot right now, but that's not fcuking bad for 3 years hard graft and a somewhat unfair sacking from which, in reality, your dignity remains unscathed.

As a bloke who's always had his his head screwed on I'd be pretty confident that's how he'll see it.

Yeah this, I wouldn't mind getting sacked like a football manager.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 16 Mar 2013 13:37

Royal Lady Lawrenson thinks it means we'll get relegated now!

He's said that all season though, so even if McD wasn't sacked he'd still be saying we'll get relegated

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Mar 2013 13:38

TBM
Royal Lady Lawrenson thinks it means we'll get relegated now!

He's said that all season though, so even if McD wasn't sacked he'd still be saying we'll get relegated

I know - hence my exclamation mark.