Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Next Reading Manager

by sandman » 16 Mar 2013 13:25

So he doesn't have to be a good manager he just needs to be able to scowl?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Mar 2013 14:08

72 bus Parky 424 159 131 134 37.5 one promotion, Cheap wages + will be happy to go with what we have

Adkins 439 224 87 128 51.03 four promotions, might want a decent wage and transfer budget

Bound to be Parky, its the Reading way

I hope its not Parky - has he managed outside League 1/2? Bradford not exactly pulling up trees in league 2 either

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Mar 2013 14:47

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Ian Royal
McDermott didn't need to achieve safety to survive, he just needed to put up a creditable fight and appear suitably competent. Unfortunately, he failed in even that.

Good post Ian.

I do think this bit is a little harsh on poor Brian though mate.

Poor resources and, as you also wonderfully echoed my thoughts in a post not long ago, the mess this season was multifactorial, including shocking ref decisions, Guthrieism, Feds' bizarre early lack of form etc ... And even then we put in some great performances. Yes it has fallen apart a bit in the last couple of games but to say he didn't put up some sort of a fight is unfair. I think we can hold our heads up high. It's not like we're 10 points adrift. We're doing as well as QPR, a team that has spent much more. Very harsh to say he didn't it up a creditable fight. As for appearing competent that is more believable. I don't agree with it given the poor resources but I do see the opposing argument. I don't see an argument for him not putting up a good fight.

In the words of Football Manager, he definitely "fought bravely against relegation".

Oh I agree it's not all his fault. The players haven't helped, the coaches haven't helped, the club management haven't helped, injuries haven't helped and refs haven't helped. But he took the larger share of the credit for masterminding the successes of previous seasons, and by the same token he'll take take the larger share for failures. That's what happens when you're in charge of the football.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 16 Mar 2013 14:50

sandman So he doesn't have to be a good manager he just needs to be able to scowl?

He is gonna be a better manager than most of the Bellends on here who think they know best because they have either been on here longer or becuase they play Football Manager games.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Mar 2013 14:51

loyalroyaldaz
sandman So he doesn't have to be a good manager he just needs to be able to scowl?

He is gonna be a better manager than most of the Bellends on here who think they know best because they have either been on here longer or becuase they play Football Manager games.

It may have escaped your notice, but none of us have any chance of getting the job. Being better than us does not qualify him for the job. It barely qualifies him to work in the ticket office.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 16 Mar 2013 16:22

Next appointment needs to show ambition, the next appointment needs to be exciting. Adkins is just more of the same and another 4/5 years minimum for promotion back

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Mar 2013 16:24

Barry the bird boggler Next appointment needs to show ambition, the next appointment needs to be exciting. Adkins is just more of the same and another 4/5 years minimum for promotion back

Why would you say it'll take him 4/5 years when he did it in 1 in his last job?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 16 Mar 2013 16:29

Ian Royal
Barry the bird boggler Next appointment needs to show ambition, the next appointment needs to be exciting. Adkins is just more of the same and another 4/5 years minimum for promotion back

Why would you say it'll take him 4/5 years when he did it in 1 in his last job?

And we must not forget his achievements at Scunthorpe.

Whitleyroyal

by Whitleyroyal » 16 Mar 2013 17:02

Parky Spanked 4-1 away today.. away to Exeter tut tut

Divvy

by Divvy » 16 Mar 2013 17:02

Whitleyroyal Parky Spanked 4-1 away today.. away to Exeter tut tut

Lawson D'Ath scoring on his loan debut.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 16 Mar 2013 17:08

Whitleyroyal Parky Spanked 4-1 away today.. away to Exeter tut tut

Bring him in, just the kind of manager we need!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Mar 2013 19:45

Ian Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Ian Royal
McDermott didn't need to achieve safety to survive, he just needed to put up a creditable fight and appear suitably competent. Unfortunately, he failed in even that.

Good post Ian.

I do think this bit is a little harsh on poor Brian though mate.

Poor resources and, as you also wonderfully echoed my thoughts in a post not long ago, the mess this season was multifactorial, including shocking ref decisions, Guthrieism, Feds' bizarre early lack of form etc ... And even then we put in some great performances. Yes it has fallen apart a bit in the last couple of games but to say he didn't put up some sort of a fight is unfair. I think we can hold our heads up high. It's not like we're 10 points adrift. We're doing as well as QPR, a team that has spent much more. Very harsh to say he didn't it up a creditable fight. As for appearing competent that is more believable. I don't agree with it given the poor resources but I do see the opposing argument. I don't see an argument for him not putting up a good fight.

In the words of Football Manager, he definitely "fought bravely against relegation".

Oh I agree it's not all his fault. The players haven't helped, the coaches haven't helped, the club management haven't helped, injuries haven't helped and refs haven't helped. But he took the larger share of the credit for masterminding the successes of previous seasons, and by the same token he'll take take the larger share for failures. That's what happens when you're in charge of the football.

True.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Mar 2013 19:46

Dolan done his chances of getting the job no harm tonight at all.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 16 Mar 2013 19:47

Ian Royal Dolan done his chances of getting the job no harm tonight at all.

And he showed he had a bit of passion something we have been missing

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 16 Mar 2013 19:48

So considering we don`t have another game till the 30th and on the back of a much improved performance (not to mention the attacking subs) is Dolan likely to be offered the job?
IMO he should get it till the end of the season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Mar 2013 19:49

ManchesterRoyals

You would say somethig stupid like that.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 16 Mar 2013 19:49

Ian Royal
ManchesterRoyals

You would say somethig stupid like that.

Why?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 16 Mar 2013 19:49

Dolan as much as he could have tonight and credit to him and the players, that was far better than anything we've seen recently. Good patient passing, controlling the tempo, no panic passing, and we took the game to United. Yes they may have not got out of 2nd gear, but nevertheless, that was much better from us. Dolan never stopped talking to the players throughout the game. What a positive difference he has made in just one manic week! Now a two week break, and hopefully a positive surprise with the new manager - but on that performance I wont be overly disappointed if we were managed by Dolan for Arsenal. Let's get the next appointment right!!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 16 Mar 2013 19:50

His for the season I reckon. Don't mind that actually. Interesting that no one has mentioned that JM & Anton were happily chatting away tonight which doesn't fit with the Anton bashing theories.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Mar 2013 19:53

Caretaker did well today but we are down now and have to look next season. We need championship experience to bounce back. It has to be Adkins to me. The sooner the better.

2614 posts