Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
akranes
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Reading Manager

by akranes » 17 Mar 2013 00:46

TBM Do you lot honestly think Dolan got us playing like that today?

Facts are

- Utd were poor, very poor
- We had 1 chance, HRK, which went wide
- we passed it about nicely but didnt really cause trouble so Utd let us, as they knew conceding set plays against us was risky
- The players were proving a point to the next manager and "doing it for Brian"

Why was McAnuff in the middle from the start - you lot moan about that when he gets 15mins there....

Let's not let this performance paper over the cracks, like our January did with MOTM and POTM

go eat some bricks you massive lemon

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Mar 2013 00:49

Just makes me laugh people wanting Dolan in (a man phoning Brian every day for advice) after an average performance against a poor Utd performance.....we played better in the cup game up there, under Brian

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 17 Mar 2013 00:55

^ This

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 17 Mar 2013 01:05

PeteH1985
LoyalRoyalFan Has anyone suggested Gary Johnson?

Big fan of his.

I love him but he is a good championship manager and didnt succeed at Bristol city. Not quite good enough plus he would ever leave the south west !

I think he did succeed at Brizzle City.

PeteH1985

by PeteH1985 » 17 Mar 2013 01:12

LoyalRoyalFan
PeteH1985
LoyalRoyalFan Has anyone suggested Gary Johnson?

Big fan of his.

I love him but he is a good championship manager and didnt succeed at Bristol city. Not quite good enough plus he would ever leave the south west !

I think he did succeed at Brizzle City.

They gained promotion from league 1, became a stable championship side and lost the playoffs with more money than we have.
If we want to have a shot at getting promoted from the championship then he has never done it at this level and took a while to get city going. He would have been a great option for Swindon , not us.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 17 Mar 2013 04:18

Why are people still mentioning Di Matteo. Not going to happnen, he has said no.

It will be Adkins, and if not, Dolan until the end of the season.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Mar 2013 07:28

AthleticoSpizz a good shout for Warnock there SCIAG

Hasn't Warnock said he is retiring?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Mar 2013 07:46

Facts are

- we passed it about nicely but didnt really cause trouble so Utd let us, as they knew conceding set plays against us was risky

Why was McAnuff in the middle from the start - you lot moan about that when he gets 15mins there....

Let's not let this performance paper over the cracks, like our January did with MOTM and POTM

I actually agree with the general gist of that TBM but the 'doing it for Brian' just strikes me as the biggest cliched nonsense. If they were doing it for Brian then they'd have been proving what he had them doing was right and whacking it aimlessly at Hunt all evening! They were following Dolans instructions and making the most of a game without any pressure.

As for why McAnuff was playing in the middle, I presume it's because he's the most effective and suitable player we have there to get the balance right in a 4-5-1. He played there against Sunderland (for my money our most complete home performance this season) and its not the same as him being moved alongside Legiertwood in a 4-4-2 which is what McDermott was criticised for always doing.

We really shouldn't use this game, or the next one, to gauge Dolans suitability for the job though.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 17 Mar 2013 08:22

Get off ED's back. If he did call BMcD for advice, so what given the circumstances? Utd weren't at their best, but as they've shown they can still smash teams at OT when having a shocker. We emerge possibly no worse off (one game nearer the end of the season, but one we were highly unlikely to win anyway), and with one or two positives. Credit to Dolan for stabilising the side, and given other than Villa nobody is breaking away - maybe....the glass is half full?

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 17 Mar 2013 09:05

Paul Tisdale 4-1 Parky, reality check.........

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Mar 2013 09:28

SapperBRoyal Get off ED's back. If he did call BMcD for advice, so what given the circumstances? Utd weren't at their best, but as they've shown they can still smash teams at OT when having a shocker. We emerge possibly no worse off (one game nearer the end of the season, but one we were highly unlikely to win anyway), and with one or two positives. Credit to Dolan for stabilising the side, and given other than Villa nobody is breaking away - maybe....the glass is half full?

Southampton won, Wigan have 2 games in hand, Sunderland play today

Divvy

by Divvy » 17 Mar 2013 11:10

If we want Adkins then we need to get a move on. Leeds want him to replace the outgoing Warnock. Considering we're both under new ownership, both effectively Championship clubs; and Leeds is in his native Yorkshire, then Leeds could be very tempting for him.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 17 Mar 2013 11:25

Facts are

I actually thought we didn't allow United to play flowing football. So credit to us where it's due.

We held our own, we didn't play hoofball. United also didn't convert their chances. Overall I'll give our boys 7/10.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 17 Mar 2013 11:39

There was never going to be wholesale changes for this one because what on earth could ED have done in five days to significantly change the style? Especially with the players he had available.

I imagine Brian would have played something similar, though obviously we'll never know.

The time to change things will be in the build-up to, during and after the Arsenal game when you've basically got three weeks to work out an escape plan, be that the caretaker team or a new manager.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Mar 2013 11:56

Facts are

Exactly.

And even with all those caveats, WE DID BETTER UNDER BRIAN recently at old Trafford when at least we scored and looked dangerous, so dangerous that I was amused to see Man Utd players be so desparate for a game to end and their fans whistling for the final whistle so desperately. Compare that to yesterday when everyone seemed bored.

Looking for positives after being completely dominated in yet another defeat is all very nice and normally I'd just let it fly as its all good for morale, but when people look through rose tinted glasses and try to make something of it to justify a bizarre call for Dolan to take over it becomes a farce.

Had Brian left us for a bigger team, I'd absolutley be looking for positives too hoping that Dolan could one day be the next Brian in our strong Reading-Way tradition, but we chose to get rid of Brian so we must have a plan, and a deviation from the Reading Way in some way at least. The ONLY scenario that makes sacking Brian at least in some way acceptable is if we get someone with more experience, success, a stronger record.

Curbishley/Adkins/other please. AND FAST.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 17 Mar 2013 12:12

Divvy wrote:
If we want Adkins then we need to get a move on. Leeds want him to replace the outgoing Warnock. Considering we're both under new ownership, both effectively Championship clubs; and Leeds is in his native Yorkshire, then Leeds could be very tempting for him.

Very true mate, spoke to a Leeds fan last night who seems to think that this is well on the way.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 17 Mar 2013 12:48

Divvy If we want Adkins then we need to get a move on. Leeds want him to replace the outgoing Warnock. Considering we're both under new ownership, both effectively Championship clubs; and Leeds is in his native Yorkshire, then Leeds could be very tempting for him.

Think you will find Adkins is a Scouser....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Mar 2013 14:44

DOYLERSAROYALER
Divvy If we want Adkins then we need to get a move on. Leeds want him to replace the outgoing Warnock. Considering we're both under new ownership, both effectively Championship clubs; and Leeds is in his native Yorkshire, then Leeds could be very tempting for him.

Think you will find Adkins is a Scouser....

Presumably he lives in Southampton so we'd just about be a possible commute, or at least not a big relocation.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Mar 2013 15:08

Didn't hear it, but apparently Poyet was whoring himself out to us on 5 Live. Anyone know what he said?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 17 Mar 2013 15:09

I know he criticised his budget at Brighton.

One quote found:

Poyet: "If I had to leave one game in my career, I'd leave on this result"

2614 posts