Worst tackle ever?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Worst tackle ever?

by bcubed » 17 Mar 2013 18:04

I am watching as a neutral here so little to gain from bad mouthing for the sake of it
He has subsequently missed two more shocking tackles and a handball leading to Wigan's second
Poor reffing influencing the outcome
And he is not the worst

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Mar 2013 18:07

bcubed Err they don't but thanks for making the point

So you think refs make more incorrect decision than correct one?

In fact i'd hazard that refs probably get about >95% correct. The fact that everyone talks incessently about ONE wrong decision just shows how much they get right.

fwiw, the ref was clearly trying to make up for the missed decision, as he absolutely should have given Perch a 2nd yellow with 10mins to go but he let it slide. So that's two terrible decisions ...... and a missed handball for the goal :wink:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Mar 2013 18:17

John Madejski's Wallet
bcubed Err they don't but thanks for making the point

So you think refs make more incorrect decision than correct one?

In fact i'd hazard that refs probably get about >95% correct. The fact that everyone talks incessently about ONE wrong decision just shows how much they get right.

fwiw, the ref was clearly trying to make up for the missed decision, as he absolutely should have given Perch a 2nd yellow with 10mins to go but he let it slide. So that's two terrible decisions ...... and a missed handball for the goal :wink:

Spot on-Perch's first yellow could easily have been a red and the second yellow that should have been given would have led to a red.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Mar 2013 18:24

windermere_royal I think McManaman for Wigan today takes some beating, disgusting studs up to the knee, Mark Halsey didn`t even give a foul, these PL refs really are poor this year.

But they are not.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Mar 2013 18:26

Having just seen the tackle again that everybody is moaning about, the Wigan player met the ball and his impact took him through onto the Newcastle player-if the Newcastle player had tried to make contact with the ball he probably wouldn't have got injured.Probably a yellow card for being over-zealous.
Conversely Perch just blatantly kicked Kone on the knee with no attempt to get the ball.

These incidents always overshadow the game itself and Wigan were much the better side and deserved to win.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Mar 2013 18:36

That tackle was horrific, but seemed reckless/uncontrolled rather than malicious. The way Wigan blokes leg came on the upswing looks like he'd genuinely gone for the ball... trying to intentionally take a player like that, while over-extending your knee, is asking to put yourself in hospital

Still, obviously was a straight red (and preferably an extra game or two).

Had to turn over the TV when they were chatting to Cole & Yorke (God those two are dull, thick pcunts) as it just made me angry when they were going on about the tackle. "something needs to be done cuz we're trying to outlaw these tackles from the game" ...... they already are outlawed you phucking divvy tw*t :roll: :evil:

barelylubedcock

by barelylubedcock » 17 Mar 2013 18:56

MmmMonsterMunch
windermere_royal I think McManaman for Wigan today takes some beating, disgusting studs up to the knee, Mark Halsey didn`t even give a foul, these PL refs really are poor this year.

I winced watching it live. How he missed that is beyond me. Vile vile tackle. The way he just stood there after with his thuggy little face as well. Hope Newcastle turn this around.

He missed it because there was a player directly between him and the tackle.

Further to that, it looked like a bad touch that McManaman could hack clear, the 'tackle' was an airshot into the player.

I only saw the replays but there was enough room for doubt.

barelylubedcock

by barelylubedcock » 17 Mar 2013 19:00

Also, just because a tackle might result in an injury need not mean its a red card. It was reckless but the bad first touch set it up for a hack clear.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Mar 2013 19:15

barelylubedcock Also, just because a tackle might result in an injury need not mean its a red card. It was reckless but the bad first touch set it up for a hack clear.

Except that McManaman wasn't trying to hack it clear. In fact, he had his studs up and by the time he'd connected had both feet off the ground and the leg that made contact was nearly straight.

Are you seriously saying that, if a players misocntrols the ball he's ASKING to be crippled ?

barelylubedcock

by barelylubedcock » 17 Mar 2013 19:56

No, but I am saying that it might make a nearby player go for it when otherwise he wouldn't. That's pretty obvious.

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 17 Mar 2013 21:33

Seems clean to me :wink:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Mar 2013 07:45

GreaterTorontoRoyal

Seems clean to me :wink:

You are Mark Halsey AICMFP

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 18 Mar 2013 09:53

There may be some difficulty with retrospective action as Halsey gave a free-kick for the incident for handball against McManaman. He did say "sorry I missed the leg-breaking contact" to Pardew, but if he gave a free-kick, he saw something and that may be enough for McManaman to escape a ban as the FA may say Halsey did deal with the incident at the time. I hope not, but it is a possibility.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 18 Mar 2013 10:27

3 veesinarow There may be some difficulty with retrospective action as Halsey gave a free-kick for the incident for handball against McManaman. He did say "sorry I missed the leg-breaking contact" to Pardew, but if he gave a free-kick, he saw something and that may be enough for McManaman to escape a ban as the FA may say Halsey did deal with the incident at the time. I hope not, but it is a possibility.

The handball and the tackle are 2 different incidents though.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 18 Mar 2013 11:51

barelylubedcock
MmmMonsterMunch

I winced watching it live. How he missed that is beyond me. Vile vile tackle. The way he just stood there after with his thuggy little face as well. Hope Newcastle turn this around.

He missed it because there was a player directly between him and the tackle.

Further to that, it looked like a bad touch that McManaman could hack clear, the 'tackle' was an airshot into the player.

I only saw the replays but there was enough room for doubt.

Agreed. There was a Newcastle player blocking his view. However, McManaman should have got a yellow at least for a hand ball moments later. :wink:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Mar 2013 14:32

soggy biscuit
3 veesinarow There may be some difficulty with retrospective action as Halsey gave a free-kick for the incident for handball against McManaman. He did say "sorry I missed the leg-breaking contact" to Pardew, but if he gave a free-kick, he saw something and that may be enough for McManaman to escape a ban as the FA may say Halsey did deal with the incident at the time. I hope not, but it is a possibility.

Yes as I recall he did not even see this as a foul so should be no problem with retrospective action

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Mar 2013 15:32

Dave Whelan reckons McManaman got the ball

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Mar 2013 16:05

Pepe the Horseman Dave Whelan reckons McManaman got the ball

And Martinez reckons McManaman doesn't have a bad bone in his body.

He did get the ball but it was a reckless challenge. If Nani's was a 6, that was at least an 8/10

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 18 Mar 2013 19:41

bcubed
soggy biscuit

Yes as I recall he did not even see this as a foul so should be no problem with retrospective action

But there is no rule to say the FA can't take action if the ref dealt with it at the time. The likes of SSN will have you believe so but it is not true.

Ben Thacher was given a yellow when he elbowed Mendes but the FA banned him. A few years ago now but no rule has been brought in since to change anything.

Former ref just on R5 said this ^

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 19 Mar 2013 16:09

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21849733

McManamanamanamanaman escapes punishment from the FA

What a joke