England v Brazil

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England v Brazil

by Hoop Blah » 11 Feb 2013 13:44

Although I've not watched a lot of Ferdinand this season, I think it's telling that Fergie sees fit to pick Evans and Smalling ahead of him on a regular basis. If he doesn't think he's either good enough or fit enough to keep them out of the team then I can't see Hodgson being too concerned about making room for him in the squad when he has younger centre backs who he's going to need to cement into 'the group' for the qualifiers and hopefully tournament in the summer.

I've never been much of a fan of Johnson but I think he gets quite a bit of unfair stick these days for his defending. It's as if, like David James before him, he's unable to shed the reputation built in his early days. Look back at last weeks game and the Euro's and Johnson is usually in the right place at the right time and has made some important covering tackles, blocks and goal line clearances. There are a few other options who will put him under pressure, but I think he's probably got the spot tied up unless Walker gets and takes a chance soon.

There's obviously the main threat Walker, who is another with a reputation for attacking over defending, then Jones and Smalling who should both mature into centre halfs but may find right back their short term role. There's also Martin Kelly and the young lad Wisdom at Liverpool who look decent enough and the forgotten man Micah Richards (I still think he can come good), with another long term prospect in Jenkinson. Coming through below that, but not quite there yet, are Clyne and Chalobah who I think has been used as a right back quite often now.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Feb 2013 13:53

Ark Royal Good performance by England, but Welbeck in the starting lineup shows how desperately short we are for options up front.

Are you Lee Dixon Ark Royal? He kept going on about how Welbeck's hard work tracking back on the left created space for the first goal.

He was playing left wing! That was a slightly odd call by Hodgson in my eyes, simialr to Blackman playing at Stoke, but it seems as though he might be looking for Rooney to play upfront on his own.

I think we're struggling a bit for genuine International quality centre forwards though, but we were hampered by injuries. There are options though.

Defoe, Sturridge, Carroll and Walcott should all be keeping Welbeck out of the number 9 shirt for England but they all present different options for Hodgson. None of them make you think we've got the next Shearer or Owen though do they?

If we're playing this 4-5-1 formation then you're probably looking at the likes of Walcott, Young, Lennon, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Johnson, Sterling and Zaha (perhaps even Tom Ince) being the obvious main challengers. There's some talent amongst that lot, although I'd say most of it is unfulfilled at the moment.

That's Hodgson's biggest challenge in my eyes, getting the best out of some decent talent that won't be playing week in week out in the league and so perhaps not progressing as quickly as this England team needs them to.

retro_royal

by retro_royal » 11 Feb 2013 17:57

HB Re Rio - Neither Smalling or Evans have kept Rio out once this season. Rio's played most games, certainly the big ones. Give your head a wobble and stop posting shite lad.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Feb 2013 12:14

retro_royal HB Re Rio - Neither Smalling or Evans have kept Rio out once this season. Rio's played most games, certainly the big ones. Give your head a wobble and stop posting shite lad.

Southampton? West Brom? West Ham? Braga? Galatasaray? They're just the games he was sub in with either/or starting let alone those he was totally rested/dropped for.

Everton this weekend? I didn't think Rio was injured at the moment but he wasn't involved.

I agree he's played the majority of the big games (his experience in those is quite key with Vidic being injured), but he's certainly been overlooked for one or both of Smalling or Evans when Fergi thinks he needs to be. That's telling and I think Hodgson is well within his rights to build his side and give his current and future centre halfs experience at this level.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Mar 2013 20:16

Well, there we have it, Ferdinand given his chance but, despite all the PR saying he could handle two games in a week and would be fine for England his 'intricate fitness program' won't allow him to turn up for England to play one game when the manager thought his experience would help his side.

Personally I'm not disappointed as I think there's enough in the squad to get by without him and it will be to the long term benefit of the squad. I was a bit surprised and doubtful of the validity of bringing him back despite his very good recent form.