211 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Nigel Adkins

by Maguire » 18 Mar 2013 23:58

winchester_royal Luckiest 3-1 in history

:lol:

Which bit was lucky? The three perfectly good goals we scored?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Mar 2013 23:58

LoyalRoyalFan We can all wax lyrical about Adkins, but he spent a shed load of money and barely achieved anything more than Reading have done this season. McDermott outfoxed him last season, and would have done over the long course this season.

All evidence to the contrary.

I like the way the only argument against Adkins is "I'd don't like him, he's a smug prick" presumably because he comes across as more intelligent and articulate than whoever says it and "he spent loads of money and didn't do much better than us" although, the crucial point beingit was still actually better than us and they were above the rather crucial red line, whilst we were, and are still, below it.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 18 Mar 2013 23:59

Ian Royal
LoyalRoyalFan We can all wax lyrical about Adkins, but he spent a shed load of money and barely achieved anything more than Reading have done this season. McDermott outfoxed him last season, and would have done over the long course this season.

I like the way the only argument against Adkins is "I'd don't like him, he's a smug prick" presumably because he comes across as more intelligent and articulate than whoever says it and "he spent loads of money and didn't do much better than us" although, the crucial point beingit was still actually better than us and they were above the rather crucial red line, whilst we were, and are still, below it.

He won't have £33m to spend at Reading in one transfer window will he?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Mar 2013 00:04

LoyalRoyalFan
Ian Royal

He won't have £33m to spend at Reading in one transfer window will he?

I don't know, I don't set the budget. But he wouldn't be getting a side that was playing in League One the season before promoted to the Premier League, so I'm not sure it matters. Oh hang on, he also needed to spend truck loads of money to bring success to scunthorpe, so I guess you're right afterall. :roll:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Mar 2013 00:07

Maguire

Oh stop being so obtuse :roll:

When you score 3 goals with your only 3 shots of the game it's normally considered lucky. Yes, it's the goals that count, but when you're arguing away on the other thread that Reading's lack of shots at United show the performance to be toothless then you can't come on here and tell me that it's only the goals scored column that means anything.

In general, the team with the most chances wins the game.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Mar 2013 00:08

Ian Royal I don't know, I don't set the budget. But he wouldn't be getting a side that was playing in League One the season before promoted to the Premier League, so I'm not sure it matters. Oh hang on, he also needed to spend truck loads of money to bring success to scunthorpe, so I guess you're right afterall. :roll:

Yes, because citing a League One achievement is really comparative.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 19 Mar 2013 00:09

LoyalRoyalFan
Ian Royal I don't know, I don't set the budget. But he wouldn't be getting a side that was playing in League One the season before promoted to the Premier League, so I'm not sure it matters. Oh hang on, he also needed to spend truck loads of money to bring success to scunthorpe, so I guess you're right afterall. :roll:

Okay, how about his achievement in getting Southampton promoted last season with a team that he mostly inherited in League 1?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Mar 2013 00:10

LoyalRoyalFan

"I don't like him, but I've got no argument, waah waah waah."

Actually I apologise. But it's ridiculous that you prefer a manager whose best achievemnt is getting colchester promoted to the champ and then doing a runner to fail at hull there. Or a guy who's sole achievement is getting swindon promoted to league one. Compared to a guy whos won 3 promotions in six years including one to the prem. Its utter lunacy.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 19 Mar 2013 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 19 Mar 2013 00:11

Ian Royal

A great analogy for the tortoise and the hare. I also agree.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 19 Mar 2013 00:11

whatever your view on the amount he has spent, his clubs have definitely been puncheon above their weight

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Mar 2013 00:16

winchester_royal
Maguire

Oh stop being so obtuse :roll:

When you score 3 goals with your only 3 shots of the game it's normally considered lucky. Yes, it's the goals that count, but when you're arguing away on the other thread that Reading's lack of shots at United show the performance to be toothless then you can't come on here and tell me that it's only the goals scored column that means anything.

In general, the team with the most chances wins the game.

I'm not the one being obtuse. How is it a "lucky" win when there weren't any controversial decisions, sendings off, penalties etc. We went away to Southampton in a de facto title decider and stuck three past them. Textbook away performance.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 19 Mar 2013 00:18

No shots off target and 100% accuracy. :lol:

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 19 Mar 2013 00:18

Maguire
I'm not the one being obtuse. How is it a "lucky" win when there weren't any controversial decisions, sendings off, penalties etc. We went away to Southampton in a de facto title decider and stuck three past them. Textbook away performance.

But could we do it now, I suppose we will find out soon enough

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 19 Mar 2013 00:24

Maguire I'm not the one being obtuse. How is it a "lucky" win when there weren't any controversial decisions, sendings off, penalties etc. We went away to Southampton in a de facto title decider and stuck three past them. Textbook away performance.

So you'd agree then that we were unlucky to get beaten at Man Utd, given that the one main controversial decision went against us?

Saints played better football than us last season, created more chances, dominated more games, and as a result are performing better than us at a higher level. Adkins is a manager with an excellent record, and would be a more than decent choice.

'Textbook away performance'. The worst cliche going. When you have 5 shots to your opponents' 20 90% of the time you lose the game. There is nothing 'textbook' at all about the 1 in 10 you win. When Spurs came to the Madejski, that was a proper away performance.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 19 Mar 2013 00:30

Adkins has too much up top for my liking. He'll never get us back into the Prem with that thick, luscious head of hair.

We should have pushed the boat out to get DI Mattio or settled for DI Canio. Unless someone balder was available.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Mar 2013 00:37

winchester_royal Saints played better football than us last season, created more chances, dominated more games

How come they didn't win the league then?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 19 Mar 2013 00:39

Maguire
winchester_royal Saints played better football than us last season, created more chances, dominated more games

Because they won less points than we did. I bet they're still really cut up about that.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 19 Mar 2013 00:41

Not a massive fan of Adkins as a person but I'll give him time to prove himself, If he saves us from the drop he'll be my new favourite, if he makes a good start to life in the Championship next year he'll be a solid decision for a new manager.

Admittedly I don't quite understand sacking McDermott for someone who's not a) a whole lot better b) a complete change but there we go.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Mar 2013 01:09

winchester_royal
Maguire

Because they won less points than we did. I bet they're still really cut up about that.

Results > football.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Nigel Adkins - new manager

by RoyalBlue » 19 Mar 2013 01:54

Divvy
paultheroyal Spotted on the M4 services at around 5pm. Waiting for the dust to settle before being announced as new manager in the next 48 hours.

I wish you weren't talking out of your arse.

He's rumoured to be in dispute with Southampton over his sacking/pay-off, and if that's true, he aint available.

I suggest you brush up on your legal knowledge. It masters not a jot whether or not he is in a legal dispute with Saints. Litigants have a duty to mitigate their losses and it would therefore be held against him were he to be seen to be avoiding taking a new position at another club.

211 posts