Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
kirkrich

Re: Next Reading Manager

by kirkrich » 22 Mar 2013 12:05

Royal Lady
Badger Finger Has anyone thought that Fordham might not have all the correct info?

He's the only one saying Adkins is a no no at this point in time isn't he?

If that's dead, then I want Hoàng Văn Phúc, Caretaker of the current Vietnamese national side.

He's realllly good at pointing

:o I thought Dylan Kerr was the Vietnamese manager :oops: Anyway, bring back Dylan Kerr My Lord.

Phuc no

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Mar 2013 12:09

I'm preparing the *NEW FAVOURITE KLAXON* for when Dolan overtakes Adkins in the betting this afternoon.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Mar 2013 12:21

If they'd intended giving it to Dolan til end of season, they'd have said so at the start. So they obviously wanted to bring someone else in. So, basically, whoever AZ originally wanted, has told us to do one and now AZ is fumbling around, looking at the betting to see who is touted as favourites and probably getting his people to read this forum in order to get an idea of who to invite for interview. Anyway, Mr Owner Sir, I hope you've already learned a valuable lesson in perhaps realising your club's limitations, due to apparent lack of funding and won't be so quick to get rid of someone who has been one of, if not THE, greatest managers in our club's long history.

Much love.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 22 Mar 2013 12:27

Obviously people are worrying about the comparison with Wolves, as like us, they sacked their manager when were only few points adrift following a poor home defeat and their following 12 months was as bad as you could imagine.

Doesn't the Wolves shambles and our own experiences this week suggest that the timing of McDermott's dismissal was absolutely wrong? Who on earth would want to come in and manage a club poised for relegation, who have shown no patience with the previous manager and no financial committment to back up their expectations?

If Brian had left in the summer, at least we wouldn't look so trigger happy and he would have had a fair crack at the whip. We would also be able to give a new manager certainty on expectations and budgets. Like Wolves, we're not sure of our fate, and we don't really know what the job we're advertising for actually is.

Personally I'd have kept Brian as manager for decades, but even those who lost faith must surely think we're not a very attractive job right now, unless you're desperate.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 22 Mar 2013 12:37

Royal Lady won't be so quick to get rid of someone who has been one of, if not THE, greatest managers in our club's long history.

DeLOLuded. You're getting confused with 'lovely bloke' and a great manager, with all due respect.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 22 Mar 2013 12:41

McDermott got a rough deal by being sacked...sadly Squeaky Hammond appears to have got off scott-free when as DOF he has to share some of the blame...if he's undertaking the role of DOF in it's proper terms and not just the "estate agent style" negotiator role...then he would have been involved in the identification of playing staff ala Daniel
Comolli at Liverpool...

...if he's purely a paper pushing contract negotiator with a pen in his hand ...then I withdraw my criticism but at same time suggest he change his job title to reflect his actual role....

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 22 Mar 2013 12:44

DOYLERSAROYALER McDermott got a rough deal by being sacked...sadly Squeaky Hammond appears to have got off scott-free when as DOF he has to share some of the blame...if he's undertaking the role of DOF in it's proper terms and not just the "estate agent style" negotiator role...then he would have been involved in the identification of playing staff ala Daniel
Comolli at Liverpool...

...if he's purely a paper pushing contract negotiator with a pen in his hand ...then I withdraw my criticism but at same time suggest he change his job title to reflect his actual role....

Why must the DoF role be exactly the same at every club? I must have missed the bit in the rulebook saying that individual clubs aren't allowed to manage themselves exactly how they want to.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Mar 2013 12:48

I can obviously see the similarities with Wolves, but I don't really share the concern that we haven't appointed anyone yet.

I'd have been pretty happy with getting Poyet in right now, but he's by no means the only decent up and coming manager in the world and so I'd rather we take our time and appoint the right man for the job instead of just doing it in a rush.

I've no problem with booting out McDermott without a a replacement lined up because keeping McDermott wasn't going to work. I'm quite positive about the impact that Dolan can have on the team so I'm not too fussed as yet.

A couple of differences with Wolves to point out though, firstly they sacked McCarthy when they'd just slipped into the relegation places on goal difference and had been on a really bad run of form which culminated in a 5-1 loss to West Brom. I think that was more of a knee jerk reaction. We on the other hand were effectively dead and burried having lost our last two massively important games and McDermott was losing the plot.

Appointing Terry Conner was oddd as he was assistant and close to what McCarthy was doing. Dolan hasn't been involved with the first team squad and so is a change in a way that Conner wasn't.

Wolves made a right hash of their next appointment. Until we do the same I'm not worried.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 22 Mar 2013 12:55

I say make Nicky Hammond the manager until the end and then blame him for absolutely fukking everything if he can't keep us up. Never liked his goofy face much anyway.

jimbangg

by jimbangg » 22 Mar 2013 13:07

Nigel Howard Adkins...mmm Nob Hob Anyone?

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 22 Mar 2013 13:13

Scutterbucketz I say make Nicky Hammond the manager until the end and then blame him for absolutely fukking everything if he can't keep us up. Never liked his goofy face much anyway.

Say what you like about hammond but no-one else would have been able to get:

5.5m for Kitson (He did well at Stoke....)
2.5m for Sonko ( He did well at Stoke....)
5.5m for Matt Mills ( He did well since leaving...)

Not to mention his deals for Shorey, Doyle, Long and Hunt.

Yes he brought in emerse fae for a club record fee but we can forget that and him stalling on Sidwell.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 22 Mar 2013 13:16

moonwalklikebas
Scutterbucketz I say make Nicky Hammond the manager until the end and then blame him for absolutely fukking everything if he can't keep us up. Never liked his goofy face much anyway.

Say what you like about hammond but no-one else would have been able to get:

5.5m for Kitson (He did well at Stoke....)
2.5m for Sonko ( He did well at Stoke....)
5.5m for Matt Mills ( He did well since leaving...)

Not to mention his deals for Shorey, Doyle, Long and Hunt.

Yes he brought in emerse fae for a club record fee but we can forget that and him stalling on Sidwell.

So in the same way that no one else but Brian could have taken us up last year?

And I couldn't really give two shites about how he helped plug Madejskis black hole. What's he done for me lately?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Mar 2013 13:18

Royal Lady and won't be so quick to get rid of someone who has been one of, if not THE, greatest managers in our club's long history.

Who had lost the plot towards the end......

RepressedRoyal

by RepressedRoyal » 22 Mar 2013 13:22

Personally, I would like to see the job to one man and that man is Martin Hicks. After all Hicks did go up and to lift the Simod Cup...and I was there!!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 22 Mar 2013 13:26

Isn't he a postie now?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Mar 2013 13:30

Well that didn't turn out as planned... :? :lol:

Poyet pulled a McDermott on us (not that big a deal, nor embarassing, and a bit expected tbf). And it appears Adkins has been ruled out because he doesn't want to manage a club which has a DoF. I guess, for managers currently in the UK, this moves Di Canio back into the frame, unfortunately. Or we can look to the continent for someone with no current ties to football in the UK...

I for one would be in for Blanc. Won a Ligue 1 title with Bordeaux, managed the French National Team, he is currently unemployed...in short a manager with some pedigree, and a relatively high profile to attract players, who doesn't have a job right now. Probably won't result in us loading up on French players (seeing the Toon have the FA's official "French Connection" for some reason), though I would expect to see some added. And I don't care of the players are from France, Russia, Japan or Mars for that matter...if they can play football at a high level I don't care where they are from.

If we are insistent on getting a manager whom has managed in the UK then poaching Mick from Ipswich is an option but, while he has done a decent job wherever he has been, I am a bit underwhelmed at/by the thought.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Mar 2013 13:41

Agent Balti
Royal Lady won't be so quick to get rid of someone who has been one of, if not THE, greatest managers in our club's long history.

DeLOLuded. You're getting confused with 'lovely bloke' and a great manager, with all due respect.

He got us to a play off final, he got us promoted when people thought the season was over months before, he managed us on a small budget and with having no previous league managerial experience, he found some gems of players - If some one with the same credentials was interviewed by AZ, you'd be saying "Get him in"!!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 22 Mar 2013 13:45

jimbangg Nigel Howard Adkins...mmm Nob Hob Anyone?

Not Happening Anymore

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Mar 2013 13:46

Mick McCarthy is the next name being linked according to UR&G

Royal Dee

by Royal Dee » 22 Mar 2013 13:52

Agent Balti

I think nostalgia has kicked in early and people have forgotten about all of the poor management that that has taken place this season. Brian is a lovely bloke but simply not a premiership manager. Maybe in the future but currently he has much bias personal relationships that affect the team selection and little tactical knowledge. He is NOWHERE near as good as Sir Steve, You cant even the compare the two! Sir Steve Coppell got us RECORD points and finished 8th in the premier and only got relegated on goal difference and during that time we were always competitive in the premier league (something we lack today) and all this on a much smaller budget. Brian did a great job in the championship and kudos for getting us promoted last year but this year has been a joke and at times embarrassing that we have not even even been able to compete against the likes of southampton, vill and Wigan... to say he was our best manager is ludicrous . The only thing AZ did wrong was the timing of the sacking, Brian should of been gone after the Sunderland game before Christmas.

2614 posts