Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Next Reading Manager

by Hoop Blah » 22 Mar 2013 13:57

Royal Lady
Agent Balti
Royal Lady won't be so quick to get rid of someone who has been one of, if not THE, greatest managers in our club's long history.

DeLOLuded. You're getting confused with 'lovely bloke' and a great manager, with all due respect.

He got us to a play off final, he got us promoted when people thought the season was over months before, he managed us on a small budget and with having no previous league managerial experience, he found some gems of players - If some one with the same credentials was interviewed by AZ, you'd be saying "Get him in"!!

He didn't have a small budget compared to the rest of the Championship though.

This reminds me of a comment I read the other day about prefering the Championship because it's a more level playing field etc etc. The reality is that it's not a level playing field at all, we've just been much closer to the top of the pile for the last 5 or 6 years so we don't see how difficult it is for the likes of Peterborough, Scunthorpe or Millwall to compete financially with us, West Ham, Newcastle or any number of ex-Premier League clubs who use their resources wisely.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Mar 2013 13:59

Next Reading manager? pffff, don't give a toss now. Put a Tub of Lard in charge.

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 22 Mar 2013 14:01

:| Kenny Jacket is a manager ive always thought of as underated. Anyone think he might be an option?

dm77

by dm77 » 22 Mar 2013 14:01

Royal Dee
Agent Balti
Royal Lady won't be so quick to get rid of someone who has been one of, if not THE, greatest managers in our club's long history.

DeLOLuded. You're getting confused with 'lovely bloke' and a great manager, with all due respect.

I think nostalgia has kicked in early and people have forgotten about all of the poor management that that has taken place this season. Brian is a lovely bloke but simply not a premiership manager. Maybe in the future but currently he has much bias personal relationships that affect the team selection and little tactical knowledge. He is NOWHERE near as good as Sir Steve, You cant even the compare the two! Sir Steve Coppell got us RECORD points and finished 8th in the premier and only got relegated on goal difference and during that time we were always competitive in the premier league (something we lack today) and all this on a much smaller budget. Brian did a great job in the championship and kudos for getting us promoted last year but this year has been a joke and at times embarrassing that we have not even even been able to compete against the likes of southampton, vill and Wigan... to say he was our best manager is ludicrous . The only thing AZ did wrong was the timing of the sacking, Brian should of been gone after the Sunderland game before Christmas.

I think nostalgia from Steve Coppell's reign has kicked in as well. His final 2 years in charge were a disaster. It was his poor management that led to not only relegation from the Premier League, but to collapsing and almost missing the Play-Offs the following year.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 22 Mar 2013 14:03

Libertine Well that didn't turn out as planned... :? :lol:

Poyet pulled a McDermott on us (not that big a deal, nor embarassing, and a bit expected tbf). And it appears Adkins has been ruled out because he doesn't want to manage a club which has a DoF. I guess, for managers currently in the UK, this moves Di Canio back into the frame, unfortunately. Or we can look to the continent for someone with no current ties to football in the UK...

I for one would be in for Blanc. Won a Ligue 1 title with Bordeaux, managed the French National Team, he is currently unemployed...in short a manager with some pedigree, and a relatively high profile to attract players, who doesn't have a job right now. Probably won't result in us loading up on French players (seeing the Toon have the FA's official "French Connection" for some reason), though I would expect to see some added. And I don't care of the players are from France, Russia, Japan or Mars for that matter...if they can play football at a high level I don't care where they are from.

If we are insistent on getting a manager whom has managed in the UK then poaching Mick from Ipswich is an option but, while he has done a decent job wherever he has been, I am a bit underwhelmed at/by the thought.

in for blanc coming here! not sure why he would though having managed France, quite a drop to come in and manage a team highly likely to return to the championship...

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 22 Mar 2013 14:03

BBCRB Adie Williams still reporting NA the front runner, but ''compensation payable to Southampton'' may be a sticking point. Surely they would have been told if it was a definite no. Or are they that behind regarding ITK contacts?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 22 Mar 2013 14:05

mumbo-jumbo BBCRB Adie Williams still reporting NA the front runner, but ''compensation payable to Southampton'' may be a sticking point. Surely they would have been told if it was a definite no. Or are they that behind regarding ITK contacts?

How would we have to pay compensation to Southampton when they've sacked him?

It's an interesting concept.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 22 Mar 2013 14:11

I think it's now nailed on to be Dolan as the next manager. We really are turning into Wolves here. Still there are lots of grounds I haven't been to in League 1.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 22 Mar 2013 14:16

Hoop Blah I can obviously see the similarities with Wolves, but I don't really share the concern that we haven't appointed anyone yet.

I'd have been pretty happy with getting Poyet in right now, but he's by no means the only decent up and coming manager in the world and so I'd rather we take our time and appoint the right man for the job instead of just doing it in a rush.

I've no problem with booting out McDermott without a a replacement lined up because keeping McDermott wasn't going to work. I'm quite positive about the impact that Dolan can have on the team so I'm not too fussed as yet.

A couple of differences with Wolves to point out though, firstly they sacked McCarthy when they'd just slipped into the relegation places on goal difference and had been on a really bad run of form which culminated in a 5-1 loss to West Brom. I think that was more of a knee jerk reaction. We on the other hand were effectively dead and burried having lost our last two massively important games and McDermott was losing the plot.

Appointing Terry Conner was oddd as he was assistant and close to what McCarthy was doing. Dolan hasn't been involved with the first team squad and so is a change in a way that Conner wasn't.

Wolves made a right hash of their next appointment. Until we do the same I'm not worried.

Agree with all this. Vital we get the next appointment right even if it takes a few weeks.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Mar 2013 14:17

Royal With Cheese
mumbo-jumbo BBCRB Adie Williams still reporting NA the front runner, but ''compensation payable to Southampton'' may be a sticking point. Surely they would have been told if it was a definite no. Or are they that behind regarding ITK contacts?

Part of his compromise agreement for leaving Southampton could quite easily include a clause that he didn't work for a competitor for the remaining duration of his contract without giving up some of the compensation he was paid for getting the boot.

Not uncommon I'd imagine.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Mar 2013 14:18

Hoop Blah I can obviously see the similarities with Wolves, but I don't really share the concern that we haven't appointed anyone yet.

I'd have been pretty happy with getting Poyet in right now, but he's by no means the only decent up and coming manager in the world and so I'd rather we take our time and appoint the right man for the job instead of just doing it in a rush.

I've no problem with booting out McDermott without a a replacement lined up because keeping McDermott wasn't going to work. I'm quite positive about the impact that Dolan can have on the team so I'm not too fussed as yet.

A couple of differences with Wolves to point out though, firstly they sacked McCarthy when they'd just slipped into the relegation places on goal difference and had been on a really bad run of form which culminated in a 5-1 loss to West Brom. I think that was more of a knee jerk reaction. We on the other hand were effectively dead and burried having lost our last two massively important games and McDermott was losing the plot.

Appointing Terry Conner was oddd as he was assistant and close to what McCarthy was doing. Dolan hasn't been involved with the first team squad and so is a change in a way that Conner wasn't.

Wolves made a right hash of their next appointment. Until we do the same I'm not worried.

As ever HB you are a voice of reason in mad times. Couldn't agree more.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Mar 2013 14:18

USA_Loyal_Royal
Libertine Well that didn't turn out as planned... :? :lol:

Poyet pulled a McDermott on us (not that big a deal, nor embarassing, and a bit expected tbf). And it appears Adkins has been ruled out because he doesn't want to manage a club which has a DoF. I guess, for managers currently in the UK, this moves Di Canio back into the frame, unfortunately. Or we can look to the continent for someone with no current ties to football in the UK...

I for one would be in for Blanc. Won a Ligue 1 title with Bordeaux, managed the French National Team, he is currently unemployed...in short a manager with some pedigree, and a relatively high profile to attract players, who doesn't have a job right now. Probably won't result in us loading up on French players (seeing the Toon have the FA's official "French Connection" for some reason), though I would expect to see some added. And I don't care of the players are from France, Russia, Japan or Mars for that matter...if they can play football at a high level I don't care where they are from.

If we are insistent on getting a manager whom has managed in the UK then poaching Mick from Ipswich is an option but, while he has done a decent job wherever he has been, I am a bit underwhelmed at/by the thought.

in for blanc coming here! not sure why he would though having managed France, quite a drop to come in and manage a team highly likely to return to the championship...

Well we are still in the PL for now. And even if relegated we'll have a decent shot of going right back up, though nothing is certain and in fact far from it. Sven managed England and also managed in the Championship. So I don't see possible relegation as a deal killer for a good candidate. We have money at our disposal to bring in players. Coming to Reading to break into English football would be an attractive option for managers from outside the UK. He did come here at the end of his playing career so he is familiar with the football culture in the UK. The question is does Blanc want to come to the UK to manage?

I have my doubts though...I would expect that we would hire Warnock before we would look to the continent. I think the club is bound and determined to get someone whom has worked in, and is from, the UK. So I doubt it will be any sort of a "bold move" on cautious, prudent, well run, Reading's part.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Mar 2013 14:30

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Mar 2013 14:32

"Royal snub from Poyet: Before he left for a holiday on Wednesday, Brighton boss Gus Poyet turned down the Reading manager's job, according to reports on Friday."

So uh, is our youth manager any good? It might come to that. :oops:
Last edited by Denver Royal on 22 Mar 2013 14:39, edited 2 times in total.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 22 Mar 2013 14:33

Hoop Blah
Royal With Cheese

Part of his compromise agreement for leaving Southampton could quite easily include a clause that he didn't work for a competitor for the remaining duration of his contract without giving up some of the compensation he was paid for getting the boot.

Not uncommon I'd imagine.

My understanding was that now Adkins has started legal proceeding against Southampton (which he did last week) he's effectively now a free-agent. He didn't sign a compromise agreement, he's contesting it.

Adkins seems bound for Leeds in due course.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Mar 2013 14:49

Well whomever it ends up being I have a feeling most of us will be underwhelmed. It doesn't appear it will be a "bold move" in naming our next manager if Poyet and Adkins were at the top of our list. It is going to be either one of the usual unemployed managerial "guns for hire" or maybe a lower league manager. We are just not a club that can/will hire a high profile manager. We are Reading FC, we do things the Reading Way, and any potential managers will have to buy into doing it that way or they won't get the job...and most all higher profile managers will want much more say over personnel matters than the club will be comfortable giving.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Mar 2013 14:51

I honestly have no idea what to expect. We may be adopting a new approach, we may not.

This could be the case.

Or it may not.

I still feel there may be a curveball to come on this one.

All I know is Adkins seems like the perfect manager for our club in our situation and with his recent history and preferred playing styles. Yet I can't help but feel underwhelmed if we did get him, a missed opportunity perhaps.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 22 Mar 2013 15:00

Libertine Well whomever it ends up being I have a feeling most of us will be underwhelmed. It doesn't appear it will be a "bold move" in naming our next manager if Poyet and Adkins were at the top of our list. It is going to be either one of the usual unemployed managerial "guns for hire" or maybe a lower league manager. We are just not a club that can/will hire a high profile manager. We are Reading FC, we do things the Reading Way, and any potential managers will have to buy into doing it that way or they won't get the job...and most all higher profile managers will want much more say over personnel matters than the club will be comfortable giving.

Agree with this - except that the Reading Way doesn't include suddenly dumping an manager with 9 games to go.

With did something uncharacteristic and I'm not sure that the things which are characteristic will get us out of the hole we've dug for ourselves.

I also have a feeling that those making the decisions aren't working in peace and harmony at the moment - maybe there's a clash between the "old guard" and the "new regime" going on at the mo.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Mar 2013 15:02

Alexander Litvinenko I also have a feeling that those making the decisions aren't working in peace and harmony at the moment - maybe there's a clash between the "old guard" and the "new regime" going on at the mo.

It's been evident throughout the season. Be interesting to see what happens as the "new regime"s influence grows.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Mar 2013 15:10

winchester_royal

As ever HB you are a voice of reason in mad times. Couldn't agree more.

No, he holds the same opinion as you, that does make him some sort of ''voice of reason'' (however much he thinks it does). You two, like the owner, are starting to look even more foolish by the day. This situation is a mess mr ''it's only been 8 days'' and it has the potential to set us back years if it hasn't done already.

2614 posts