Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Reading Manager

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Mar 2013 21:29

windermere_royal Really didn`t realise what a miserable load of twats followed my team until I saw this thread

:lol: :lol: Tell me about it. I got called an elf :?: earlier for suggesting Adkins was a good appointment. Obviously a club of our great stature was going to get someone like say Ancelotti or Capello.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Mar 2013 21:29

Ideal Fact remains that "tactical genious" Adkins got outdone in the chump last year by McD

Facts? We don't need no stieenking facts :P

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 25 Mar 2013 21:29

akranes So, uh, to the people slating Adkins... who do you suggest be the next manager? Realistically?

Agree totally. Any dick can come up with smart arse comments but harder to come up with a credible alternative.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Mar 2013 21:30

akranes So, uh, to the people slating Adkins... who do you suggest be the next manager? Realistically?

Yep, question I'd like to see answered....

Lets hear it then Ideal and Muskrat for starters.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Mar 2013 21:30

MmmMonsterMunch
windermere_royal Really didn`t realise what a miserable load of twats followed my team until I saw this thread

:lol: :lol: Tell me about it. I got called an elf :?: earlier for suggesting Adkins was a good appointment. Obviously a club of our great stature was going to get someone like say Ancelotti or Capello.

I've seen you with your pointy ears, Legolas. :P

Esteban

by Esteban » 25 Mar 2013 21:31

Could we wait until he's confirmed as the new manager before we jinx it all for him?

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 25 Mar 2013 21:32

The fantasists are going to suggest either a, they shouldn't have sacked McDermott or b, McDermott back in

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Adkins is the right choice for Reading.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 25 Mar 2013 21:32

2 world wars, 1 world cup
MmmMonsterMunch

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Mar 2013 21:36

Ideal

Obviously would have loved to have seen us appoint someone like Solskjær, but wtf, even Paul Tisdale would be more exciting news than Adkins who has proven that he is not a very good tactician.

I agree that Solskjaer would've been a really interesting appointment but as he turned down Villa last season, and I think he still sounds happy learning the ropes in the back waters of a third world football league, I really can't see he was a realistic target.

Something stops me warming to Adkins but everything about his CV says he's very well placed to do a really good job here (he's even got plenty of experience of turning essentially long ball teams into his more passing style).

For many of those that go to games and pay good money to do so, the way we play is quite important.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 25 Mar 2013 21:45

Am happy enough if it is Adkins. Think he's a good manager with an impressive CV and offers the prospect of a more attractive brand of football. I think he'd be one of the better choices and getting a manager in now rather the end of the season is desirable although not completely essential.

That said, I think some might be underestimating McDermott when they refer to this definitely being a step-up, etc. I'd imagine we'll see McDermott managing a side against us in the Championship pretty soon (next season seems a decent bet) and I'm sure he'll get another crack at Premier League management soon enough. But like Brendan Rodgers it might possibly be the case that a split was necessary and it will work out well for both parties in the long run.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Mar 2013 21:45

Denver Royal
Ideal Fact remains that "tactical genious" Adkins got outdone in the chump last year by McD

Facts? We don't need no stieenking facts :P

You just know that if the chumps on this board supported Southampton they'd be slating Adkins after last season and saying he was outdone tactically by that genius down at Reading.

As for Adkins - big shrug. His success will be mainly dependent on the size of his warchest.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Mar 2013 21:46

MmmMonsterMunch
2 world wars, 1 world cup
MmmMonsterMunch

ALOL

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 25 Mar 2013 21:47

For all you miserable tossers,give the man a chance :evil: You might get to like him.

WinnershSaint

by WinnershSaint » 25 Mar 2013 21:49

Interesting reactions I must say. What you'll get is a manager who cannot lose. If he keeps you up, which may now be unlikely, he will be a hero. If you drop back to the Championship you have a manager with a proven track record of promotion. Why did we get rid? Who knows. Maybe Cortese did indeed want to trade up. Nigel always struck me as simplistic in his approach and although his record before departure was OK there were times when we played poorly and he seemed unable to exercise any change, particularly in earlier season home games with Norwich, Wigan, Sunderland Swansea and Fulham We passed the ball round an awful lot without getting anywhere and shed points left right and centre. You are right also to point out that you were promoted as Champions last year when he had control of a better squad. Make from that what you will. His cliched interviews are wearing. BTW we play much better stuff with the same squad under Pochettino, and whilst I agree that his record is no better than NA's, I believe his true worth is more likely to be seen next season.

WinnershSaint

by WinnershSaint » 25 Mar 2013 21:59

Taking my balanced view hat off, maybe this could be payback for Branfoot.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 25 Mar 2013 22:00

Stop posting Remy's arse please. Some of us are at work!! Tis fucking amazing though.

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 25 Mar 2013 22:01

WinnershSaint Taking my balanced view hat off, maybe this could be payback for Branfoot.

Hahahaha

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 25 Mar 2013 22:02

paultheroyal

Yep, question I'd like to see answered....

Lets hear it then Ideal and Muskrat for starters.

Not a question that even needs more than a second's consideration. We shouldn't have sacked Brian. Simple as, then you've automatically got a proven Championship winning manager for next year's campaign. How many Football League Championships has Adkins ever won (for the avoidance of doubt - that's the top division in the Football League) :roll:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Mar 2013 22:04

WinnershSaint Cortese did indeed want to trade up.

Yeah, 'next level' and all that. Good post, BTW.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Mar 2013 22:08

I'm shocked that anyone can be anti-Adkins.

Was stunned to see him bizarrely sacked and am delighted he's coming.

I didn't want Brian to be sacked, but he was - I move on.
I wanted Curbishley and didn't get him - boo hoo hoo.

But we have this lad and his record is VERY respectable. Curbishley aside, did we honestly a manager with a faultless Prem record to come down to the Championship and manage Reading?? I mean FFS what stupidity some of us are showing. This to me is a massive coup for us. There I was thinking this is a shambles of a situation but if this is pulled off I take that back and take my hat off to Anton, Sir John and Nicky H. Absolutely the best we could hope for and punching way above our weight too. Well done all at Reading if we pull this off!!

2614 posts