Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

by Badger Finger » 26 Mar 2013 09:04

Do we know that the press conference is definitely for Adkins, and not for the latest Brendyballoon world hero mission?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Mar 2013 09:06

He's so unlikeable that all his previous fans love him and there was widespread public sympathy when he lost hos last job? :|

barelylubedcock

by barelylubedcock » 26 Mar 2013 09:10

winchester_royal He's so unlikeable that all his previous fans love him and there was widespread public sympathy when he lost hos last job? :|

but have you not seen the thing he left up in the dressing room?

intolerable.

( :| )

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Mar 2013 09:11

He's never irritated me - I don't understand when / how he's managed to do that to so many people on here. Well, apart from managing our very close rivals and getting them to play far better football than us of course.

For me...

I'm happy with the appointment but not excited (I'm probably too old / cynical to get excited tbh).

I'm somewhat relieved, as, although I never believed there was the remotest chance of Di Canio coming here whilst SJM had a breath left in body, it could have been worse.

I feel sorry for Brian McDermott and really hope he achieves success elsewhere.

I am happy that there's a lot better chance of us taking the Championship by storm next season with an exciting brand of football than would have been the case under BM and NG.

barelylubedcock

by barelylubedcock » 26 Mar 2013 09:15

I feel the same.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Mar 2013 09:16

barelylubedcock
winchester_royal He's so unlikeable that all his previous fans love him and there was widespread public sympathy when he lost hos last job? :|

but have you not seen the thing he left up in the dressing room?

intolerable.

( :| )

Intolerable!

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 26 Mar 2013 09:16

Somebody remind me what the point of sacking McDermott was and getting another manager in from a promoted team so late in the season is? I realise most of you are probably of the same view as me.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Mar 2013 09:17

Brian to Leeds, then?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Mar 2013 09:18

See poll - not everyone agrees with you.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 26 Mar 2013 09:18

Royal Rother He's never irritated me - I don't understand when / how he's managed to do that to so many people on here. Well, apart from managing our very close rivals and getting them to play far better football than us of course.

For me...

I'm happy with the appointment but not excited (I'm probably too old / cynical to get excited tbh).

I'm somewhat relieved, as, although I never believed there was the remotest chance of Di Canio coming here whilst SJM had a breath left in body, it could have been worse.

I am happy that there's a lot better chance of us taking the Championship by storm next season with an exciting brand of football than would have been the case under BM and NG.

100%

He seems very popular with all the players he's worked with and the ability to get players playing for you is essential in an environment where you can't just go and buy the best.

Would rather have Brian but he's gone and Adkins is the best option to replace him.

Cypry

by Cypry » 26 Mar 2013 09:21

Love the way people are taking gossip and making it the gospel...

If Poyet was our number 1 choice all along, why did we speak to Adkins first last week?

Unless I completely misunderstood the timelines:

We spoke to Adkins
He was a bit uncommital about the role.
We spoke to Poyet
He decided the role wasn't for him (I'm pretty certain that at no time did we offer him the role)
We went back to Adkins and asked what we needed to offer him
A deal was done.....

For me, I'm happy with Adkins - think he's a slight upgrade on Brian (who I feel has been unlucky and wish all the best, but for him to go was the right decision, I think his position had become untenable). He's also got a much more proven track record than Poyet - I would've been a bit less happy if he'd got the role.....

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 26 Mar 2013 09:24

Stuka Somebody remind me what the point of sacking McDermott was and getting another manager in from a promoted team so late in the season is? I realise most of you are probably of the same view as me.

I agree. If they wanted to take the club in a different direction that's one thing, however to replace McDermott with a similar manager is just a slap in the face to him. Basically loyalty should have let McDermott see out the season.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 26 Mar 2013 09:25

Hope AZ is just 'trolling' and this press conference is to announce something small and irrelevant.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Mar 2013 09:26

Reading announce press conference for now.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Mar 2013 09:27

So who'll be there from TSI?

Anton? Samuelson?

Let's see how much of a toss they give

EDIT: AZ gives a press release in advance... :roll:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Mar 2013 09:31

Cripple Creek I have to confess over here in Oz I am a bit out of touch and don't know Adkins well but I hear from a lot of people - not only on this board but fans of other clubs as well - that he is, well, a bit of a tosser basically. I would appreciate it if someone could explain a bit more clearly why people have this view of him because it seems pretty widespread.

Like McDermott I think he talks a lot in cliches and is sometimes a little over positive perhaps. A little full of himself at times, but I don't think thats a bad thing for a football manager who has to inspire confidence and faith from a group of largely impressionable young men in the dressing room.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 26 Mar 2013 09:31

Schards#2
Royal Rother He's never irritated me - I don't understand when / how he's managed to do that to so many people on here. Well, apart from managing our very close rivals and getting them to play far better football than us of course.

For me...

100%

He seems very popular with all the players he's worked with and the ability to get players playing for you is essential in an environment where you can't just go and buy the best.

Would rather have Brian but he's gone and Adkins is the best option to replace him.

+2.

I can understand why he pisses fans off, but as you can see from Twitter footballers are generally young, impressionable folk who use words like 'banter' and 'flamesss', they're not cynical old fans reading When Saturday Comes and tutting about safe standing. Adkins' overly-positive schtick seems to work with them and his record has shown that.

The idiotic timing of McDermott's sacking really made me worried that AZ had a 'celebrity' manager lined-up who would care more about his own ego than the club itself. The fact we've taken our time (although that may not 100% have been by design) and appointed someone who likes to play football and should be in it for a long-term project suggests there's still a bit of sanity and sensibility at our club, and I'm all for that. If we can do it playing attractive football too then even better.

For those reasons, I'm pretty happy with Adkins.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 26 Mar 2013 09:33

^Good post that, Croyders.

Spud Gun
Location: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ...

by Spud Gun » 26 Mar 2013 09:36

Elm Park Kid
Stuka Somebody remind me what the point of sacking McDermott was and getting another manager in from a promoted team so late in the season is? I realise most of you are probably of the same view as me.

I agree. If they wanted to take the club in a different direction that's one thing, however to replace McDermott with a similar manager is just a slap in the face to him. Basically loyalty should have let McDermott see out the season.

Agreed. It seems fairly pointless to replace McD with someone so similar, unless McD had lost the dressing room of course but that's something we would never know.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Mar 2013 09:39

AZ there! :D

2614 posts